No announcement yet.

Replacing sway bar end links

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe the torque spec is 14 lbs. It was mostly the hardware that failed. I also replaced the other side and had to cut the bolt out. It was rusted to the metal sleve in the middle. The urathane was ok just a little hard on the outside. Either way I'm also stuck between all new rubber bushings from Honda I mean the first ones are 330,000 miles or the urathane set.
    Does anyone know if the autozone front energy suspension set comes with radius rod bushings?
    ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

Autozone set? Don't know, I got an Energy Suspension front set and it came with everything. Don't bother using the boot covers tho.

Also, for my GF's coupe, I bought Energy end links 9.8105. The kit came with 8 bushings and 8 washers for about $12. Since they were universal, the bushings were slightly thicker than OEM. So I stopped at the hardware store, bought long 3/8" bolts, about 5" or so, locknuts, and a larger nut to use as a spacer. You need the locknuts, or you'll lose the whole thing on the road. Grease them up and put them on.

I just removed the end-links the other day to install them on her CL. Minimal wear on the control arm and sway bar contact points, basically just rub marks after 3 years of service. I just cleaned them thoroughly, re-greased and installed them.
      1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

poly does not outlast rubber, it becomes out of round on the inside of the bushing. they may not look bad until you remove them and see the inside hole is no longer a circle.

also remember that when you install them do NOT torque them down when the car is raised. these type of bushings are supposed to be torqued with the suspension at ride height, it is a pain if your car is lowered( i have experience doing this) but it is the proper way.

i like poly and have them all over my car but for longevity and comfort OEM rubber is the best bet
        ''COUPE''

''WAGON''

Comment

Originally posted by quaidum View Post
          poly does not outlast rubber, it becomes out of round on the inside of the bushing. they may not look bad until you remove them and see the inside hole is no longer a circle.

also remember that when you install them do NOT torque them down when the car is raised. these type of bushings are supposed to be torqued with the suspension at ride height, it is a pain if your car is lowered( i have experience doing this) but it is the proper way.

i like poly and have them all over my car but for longevity and comfort OEM rubber is the best bet
          Damn recently installed mines using the Enegry Poly ones and torqued them while the car raised. Thinking about it how would you torque them when the car is ride height it being slammed

Check Out My Work In Progess . . . . .

Comment

jack the car up, put cinder blocks under tires, lower it back down, tighten the end links.
            Originally posted by deevergote
            These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

OR just lift the lower control arm with the jack then tighten the endlinks.

And swaybar bushings being poly does not affect ride comfort. But id choose poly over OE rubber any day.
              What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

Working...
              X