CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Parts & Performance > Technical

Old 05-01-2018, 11:22 PM   #1
zedjr10
Gold Member

zedjr10 is cool... so far.
Caster is 1.3 and 2.6?

I got my car aligned today and they said my caster was 1.3 on right and 2.6 on left. I know it is supposed to be between 2 and 4. I am about to replace my radius rod bushings. Could my caster be off on right side cause i have a squishy bushing. If not should i add another shim washer to it while i replace bushing?
zedjr10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 04:13 PM   #2
fleetw00d
Contributing Member

fleetw00d is very helpful fleetw00d is very helpful
To increase the caster, you need to remove the shim washer. If you have just one washer , removing it might get you to about 2.0. I suppose if the front bushing is "squished", it would tend to reduce caster. Compression of the bushings is controlled by the sleeve that runs through them.
92 EX coupe auto 190,000 - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=210341

LOTS of CB7 parts for sale http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=192583 or watch for banner ad at upper right
fleetw00d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 07:49 PM   #3
Raf99
Gold Member

Raf99 is very helpful Raf99 is very helpful
Stupid question, what's the consequences of having bad caster?
Raf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:44 PM   #4
fleetw00d
Contributing Member

fleetw00d is very helpful fleetw00d is very helpful
The caster helps return the wheels to straight ahead after a turn (kinda like the front fork on a bike, if it were straight up and down it wouldn't be very stable). My wagon is at about 1.8 on the right after repairing accident damage, and that's after removing the shim and trying to reposition the front cross member a little further forward on that side (I think the threaded holes for the mounting bolts are slightly bent from the accident). I haven't noticed any odd tire wear. I've been meaning to cut the shoulder back on a radius rod to get it above 2.0.

I think if he just takes the shim out he'll probably get it into range.
fleetw00d is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:43 PM   #5
zedjr10
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetw00d View Post
The caster helps return the wheels to straight ahead after a turn (kinda like the front fork on a bike, if it were straight up and down it wouldn't be very stable). My wagon is at about 1.8 on the right after repairing accident damage, and that's after removing the shim and trying to reposition the front cross member a little further forward on that side (I think the threaded holes for the mounting bolts are slightly bent from the accident). I haven't noticed any odd tire wear. I've been meaning to cut the shoulder back on a radius rod to get it above 2.0.

Now i know why they call caster wheels on a chair, dolly or anything else. Cool now knowing all this shit. Now i have to put those bushings on just to get my caster str8t. First is my exhaust, easy fix i hope. I have been spraying that thing in pbj for days now.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:42 PM   #6
Raf99
Gold Member

Raf99 is very helpful Raf99 is very helpful
Quote:

thanks.
Raf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:13 AM   #7
zedjr10
Gold Member

Quote:
To increase the caster, you need to remove the shim washer. If you have just one washer , removing it might get you to about 2.0. I suppose if the front bushing is "squished", it would tend to reduce caster. Compression of the bushings is controlled by the sleeve that runs through them.
Should i then put shim on left side where caster is 2.6 to reduce it. I read they need to be close. Like having one at 3 and other side at 2 isn't good either. Is this right or does it matter.
Old 06-20-2018, 01:49 PM   #8
illinois_erik
CB7tuner Member

illinois_erik is very helpful illinois_erik is very helpful illinois_erik is very helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedjr10 View Post
Should i then put shim on left side where caster is 2.6 to reduce it. I read they need to be close. Like having one at 3 and other side at 2 isn't good either. Is this right or does it matter.
Your alignment person should be the one shimming it. Tell them you want +3 degrees not what they can land on, otherwise find a new alignment place. I go in with my numbers and tell them make it so, and it is unless its not possible.
I run +4.1 and it helps a lot
Old 06-20-2018, 06:00 PM   #9
zedjr10
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by illinois_erik View Post
Your alignment person should be the one shimming it. Tell them you want +3 degrees not what they can land on, otherwise find a new alignment place. I go in with my numbers and tell them make it so, and it is unless its not possible.
I run +4.1 and it helps a lot
To shim it an alignment shop would have to take off the radius rod. They won't do that.I can only remove one shim. Not sure how else to make caster more. I thought removing one shim on right which is 1.3 would bump it up to 2.0. My left is 2.6. Should i add a shim to left to make right and left closer to each other. You must of messed with your cross member or radius rod to get 4.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:10 AM   #10
Ghostwhite
CB7tuner Member

Ghostwhite is cool... so far.
Quote:
To shim it an alignment shop would have to take off the radius rod. They won't do that.I can only remove one shim. Not sure how else to make caster more. I thought removing one shim on right which is 1.3 would bump it up to 2.0. My left is 2.6. Should i add a shim to left to make right and left closer to each other. You must of messed with your cross member or radius rod to get 4.
When you replace the radius rod bushings your caster will change if your old bushings were pretty bad. Talk to the shop and see if they will put it back on the rack at no/reduced charge after you make your adjustments, some will if you just had an alignment done. There also may be someone in your area with the tools to measure it yourself at home, I have this tool from SPC which can measure camber and caster although it can be a pain.

I would focus more on getting more out of the right than less on the left. These cars have so little caster that every bit can help within reason.
Ghostwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 03:21 PM   #11
illinois_erik
CB7tuner Member

illinois_erik is very helpful illinois_erik is very helpful illinois_erik is very helpful
Quote:
yeah i brain farted and forgot the shims on the backside of the pack.CB's make the firestone unlimited alignment worth it lol. I dont know what is considered excessive shimming to account for a possibly tweaked front subframe. My alignment guy said it was common on them to get bent or tweaked a bit that makes it harder to get to factory specs. My old CB always had an issue because of that.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:10 PM   #12
zedjr10
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostwhite View Post
When you replace the radius rod bushings your caster will change if your old bushings were pretty bad. Talk to the shop and see if they will put it back on the rack at no/reduced charge after you make your adjustments, some will if you just had an alignment done. There also may be someone in your area with the tools to measure it yourself at home, I have this tool from SPC which can measure camber and caster although it can be a pain.

I would focus more on getting more out of the right than less on the left. These cars have so little caster that every bit can help within reason.
Not sure if my caster is right or not after putting on these bushings. But the drive is much better. No more steering wheel jumping from bump in road and seems str8ter(haven't driven highway yet).

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: