Question about sway bar links

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about sway bar links

I just replaced my sway bar bushing and links. I did this about 8 months ago but don't like how the prothane sway bar bushing and wanted ES black sway bar links. When putting on the links not sure if they are too tight or not tight enough. They are definitely squished. The bushings on the ends of assembly are like half the width as it came with. Still was only like 15ft lbs but when control arm is released it seems much more. Did i not jack up lower arm enough?No way to tighten them with wheel on ground i thought. IS squished ok. The Prothanes one i took out were not squished or reformed to look new in minutes. I could of swore i squished them good on there but not too tight. On the left side the sway bar links screw was too loose. WTF could of caused this. Do i need locktite on them?

A little squished is perfect. But just enough to keep the bolt tight. Better to be a slight too tight here than too lose (as the bolt may fall off).

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
      A little squished is perfect. But just enough to keep the bolt tight. Better to be a slight too tight here than too lose (as the bolt may fall off).
      The bolt on the left side seemed to be close to falling off. I could of sworn i tightened it good last time. The bushing on each end of the link is squished good. Half the original size. I squished my radius bushing good but not half. Like 1/3 to 1/4 of its original size. The reason am not sure am too loose or tight is cause the torque increases very little thru many turns of wrench. And that torque rating of 14ft lbs in book i think is for rubber ones. So i wonder.
      Last edited by zedjr10; 01-08-2019, 11:00 AM.

Comment

The OEM links actually have a metal sleeve through the bushings that controls how much they can be compressed when the nut/bolt are torqued. For aftermarket links, I've always torqued them until the bushings begin to bulge beyond the diameter of the washers. It is easier to do if you have the weight of the vehicle on the front wheels and elevated (like on a set of ramps).
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
          The OEM links actually have a metal sleeve through the bushings that controls how much they can be compressed when the nut/bolt are torqued. For aftermarket links, I've always torqued them until the bushings begin to bulge beyond the diameter of the washers. It is easier to do if you have the weight of the vehicle on the front wheels and elevated (like on a set of ramps).
          I can't put car on ramps. Ok so i think i got it torqued good enough. As it has pancaked out enough to fill in those washers.

Comment

If you have a floor jack, lift it up and put it on blocks of wood, concrete, etc. Or find a curb you can pull up on. I think they can be accessed fairly well by just turning the wheels all the way one direction, then the other.
            90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
            08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Working...
            X