No announcement yet.

Rescuing Ruby, Extensive Quarter Panel Rust Repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXCELLENT WORK! This is amazing what you're doing for this car true appreciation and dedication!
    blackROSE Member, with a focus on VIP Style

Comment

Major props. Wish I had the facilities (garage) to take on this task. I cut my rust out, and put in new metal, but this is just amazing. keep up the good work!

Comment

I was actually doing most of the work in the driveway (kept the car under a tarp and cover). Only moved it into the garage (using my wife's parking space) to do the welding (my 220 volt extension cord is only long enough to reach from the laundry room to the garage).
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

If you still have screws or bolts holding the panels together, remove them and weld up the holes. Leaving them in there will cause galvanic corrosion due to two dissimiliar metals. Over time, you'll just end up with large rust holes where the screws were.

It looks like you're doing everything right for the most part, just make sure you clean your welds off and apply a good self-etching primer to those areas. Wouldn't hurt to brush some seam sealer over it afterwards either. Use something that stays flexible. I like to use 3M sprayable seam sealer (red and white metal tube) and just put it in a regular caulk gun and brush it on.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=1#post1823428

My Custom BB6 Dash Swap Thread

Comment

Great work my friend. I am seeing this in my future.

May I ask where you sourced the 1/4's and how much you paid, shipping cost?
            1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

yeah man i would love to to this to my wagon as well man and eric i thing there was a rust free cb at brandy brow that was a fl car
              back at it again

Comment

Originally posted by Accrdwgnguy View Post
                Great work my friend. I am seeing this in my future.

May I ask where you sourced the 1/4's and how much you paid, shipping cost?
                Got the quarters from a rust free shell at U Pull and Save in Hebron, KY (just west of Greater Cincinnati Int'l Airport). $100 per side. No shipping involved, just hauled them in my van. Took 3.5 hours to do all the disassembly and cutting to get them off. They wouldn't sell me the whole shell. As you can sort of see from the pictures, I cut them at the top of the C pillar, well forward along the rocker, and inside the spring towers.

Once I got them home, it involved a lot of spot weld cutting to free the parts I needed.
                90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

nice
                  back at it again

Comment

Removed the remnants of the old quarter panel from rear window back to the taillight.

Trial fit of the new quarter skin

Still need to make the final cut for the C pillar seam and do some more trimming to better fit the overlap at the rear corner. Also need to clean up the inside of the skin and apply rust preventive coating, except where I'll be using the adhesive or welding.
                    Last edited by Fleetw00d; 08-02-2017, 10:05 PM.

Comment

nice man lots of good work man. i'd do a combo of both
                      back at it again

Comment

WOW! Impressive, very, very impressive. My hat's off to you sir.
                        The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

I cleaned up the new skin and coated with Eastwood rust encapsulator to protect it, and the inside surface of the wheel housing. I'll use 3M 08115 adhesive around the wheel well joint and on the side of the trunk floor; should be able to weld everywhere else. Just having a little trouble with the rear section; final trim of the C pillar should allow it to move forward into proper position.

Last edited by Fleetw00d; 08-02-2017, 10:05 PM.

Comment

nice man keep it up
                            back at it again

Comment

hell man mad props to youthat is freakin awesome i got a little rust i need to get taken care of

Comment

Working...
                              X