Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Whats the best performance oil for the city?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whats the best performance oil for the city?

Because its against the rules,i cant be specific on regions. so to get my point across, What is the best oil to use to maximize performance on a high mileage vehicle that takes the torture of daily city traffic driving?

My CB7 Specs
    -Stock f22a
    -over 220k miles and counting
    -5 speed manual
    -1992 coupe
    -Next oil changed due: November 1, 2013

All scheduled maintenance is performed by me.

Thanks in advance.

Pennzoil sae 10-30 high milage and any filter that filters 90% or more.like fram tough guard...

my new turbo build

Comment

I've always used Mobil 1 oil & filter
      92 Accord Lx Sedan w/ F22A6
      06 Civic LX Sedan*sold*

Comment

It's not against the rules... you're just not able to post outside of this section yet. I don't see why this would be a regional-specific question anyway...

To be honest, you don't need anything more than a quality oil of the proper weight. A synthetic or a synthetic blend will provide some extra protection, and give you a longer change interval. There really is no "best".
        One way to find out is to use a few different brands, and try to maintain a consistent driving style. With each oil change, send a sample of your oil off to be analyzed. You'll be able to tell the best oil for your engine, with your driving style, from comparing the different reports (among the oils tested, that is.)

Amsoil, Royal Purple, Torco, Pennzoil, Castrol, Mobil1, and Shell are some of the most commonly used oils. I use Shell full synthetic in all my cars (JDM H22A powered CB7, 09 Fit, and 06 CTS-V). Sometimes the CB7 gets either a Castrol or Pennzoil synthetic blend when they're on sale.

Comment

I use valvoline and I change my oil every 7k miles. No problems at all.
          10th Anniversary Accord.
          05 Audi A4 Ultra Sport 6MT.

Comment

IMO:

Check your manual and make sure you get the correct viscosity range for the temperature you drive in.

If I must give an example I would go with:

Shell 15 - 50 (city and occasional high speed) or
            Penzoil 15 - 60 plus ten for really high mileage vehicles and high speed driving

Not lazy in changing oil = use good semi-synthetic oil not full synthetic. Why? Changing earlier or on time to reduce particulates is better than keeping dirty oil longer. Synthetic oil doesn't reduce how dirty the oil gets from deposits.

As you are traffic driving you will accumulate carbon deposits and sludge in your oil quicker than high speed driving so changing oil earlier may be required. You will therefore not realise the full benefits of full synthetic. It will very expensive changing full synthetic oil more frequently.

Go synthetic only if you are lazy, or poor memory of interval time oil changes or if the owner has poor maintenance awareness (sisters car, mum's car, elderly owner) and more likely to exceed the specified intervals.

It is better to have dirty old oil that still maintains viscosity than over used old oil which does not.
            Rides:

Accord
            92-JDM-2.0 Si- "4ws" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
            96-AUDM-2.2 VTiS- Heather Mist

CR-X
            88-JDM-Si- Black

CR-X Del Sol
            92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Motegi Edition - Silver
            95-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Daytona Edition - Silver
            92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" - Black

Prelude
            91-JDM-Si-4ws "Si States" - Phoenix Red
            91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition" - Bordeaux Red Pearl
            91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
            91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition"- Gun Metal Grey

Comment

PS:

Engine oil is one item that I do not use Honda for.

Why?

For years Honda only sold 25w - 50w (though out the nineties and even early 2000's) here in Australia anyway.

Then they introduced two sets of oil 10-30 (they said for Vtec vehicles and newer vehicles with tighter tolerances which is fair enough) and 25w - 50w (for older Honda's including the CB7 etc that are not Vtec and broken in already or high mileage).

Now they only carry 10-30 (saying its for all Honda) here in my country anyway. I don't know how it is historically in the US but this is just wrong.

I strongly disagree with this last one as previously they only had 25w-50w which they said was the correct one. Now they have oil that has 20 points difference in its maximum viscosity rate.

Sure they can argue its not mineral oil and maybe semi synthetic but I see this more as an attempt to streamline their products, reduce logistical costs and increase wear and tear on older vehicles to encourage earlier replacement.

Note: I still recommend Honda oil filter as the reduction of particulates to me is just as important as correct viscosity, even though in recent times I have seen them cheapen on this by not supplying "Made In Japan" filters anymore but rather "Made in Taiwan" which can be the same as a cheapo filter. Anyway I'm still trusting them on this for now that it is of better quality, more effective filtration and retention of particulates.
              Rides:

Accord
              92-JDM-2.0 Si- "4ws" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
              96-AUDM-2.2 VTiS- Heather Mist

CR-X
              88-JDM-Si- Black

CR-X Del Sol
              92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Motegi Edition - Silver
              95-JDM-SiR "Transtop" Daytona Edition - Silver
              92-JDM-SiR "Transtop" - Black

Prelude
              91-JDM-Si-4ws "Si States" - Phoenix Red
              91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition" - Bordeaux Red Pearl
              91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita" - Cobalt Blue Pearl
              91-AUDM-Si-4ws "Cita Lux Edition"- Gun Metal Grey

Comment

I recently switched to buying Trop Artic 5W-30 Synthetic Blend in 12 quart packs from Sam's Club where my folks still have a membership. It's listed at $26.88 right now, which comes out to less than $2.25 per quart for a very good quality oil (according to the folks in the know around the Internet, and from my own research and understanding).

I pair that with a Purolator Classic filter from Advance Auto Parts as they're the only store around here that carries the brand. After switching to the synthetic blend oil I started using an oversize filter, the Purolator L20073, in hopes of achieving an extended oil change interval. I'm in the middle of my first right now, no issues other than the synthetic oil exposing a failing oil pan gasket.

Comment

I use mobile 1 or supertech from walmart. Purolator, wix, or royal purple filters
                  I also dont trust Fram oil filters anymore since i found out the filter media sucks.
                  As long as you keep on top of your oil it really doesnt matter

Comment

Pennzoil has a new synthetic oil...well new like 2 years new.

Its called Pennzoil Ultra. They say its so good, that they warranty your engine for 500k miles.

A guy did an oil analysis on his TSX by sending it in to Blackstone labs and they say that oil is good for 7,500 miles on his engine.

member's ride thread
                    93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                    99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                    91 Accord SE 176k
                    97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

i use either castrol syntec 5w-30 because i get it free at work, or mobile1 10w-30...the difference between the 5 and the 10 is no big deal as it is the viscosity when cold. but yea i mainly use mobile1 10w-30 since its what is recommended...
                      filter i use mobile1 filter or OEM someone said FRAM, dont use FRAM, look all over the internet people from every forum of every brand of cars will tell you how much theyr bad. i personally noticed my oil would get darker faster with a fram filter (because yes i was indeed buying those before i knew how bad they wer, since they have that convenient rubberized finish to help unscrew them)

MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201008

Comment

Shell full synthetic in my 09 Fit gets changed every 10,000 miles or so, with 1000-2000 miles per week put on the engine. The engine is usually running nonstop from 8am to 7pm, 5 days a week. City driving, mild mountain driving, 85mph highway driving with the engine revved to 4k.
                        317,000 miles, and the engine is perfectly healthy.

Comment

i use valvoline synpower 10W-30 Fully Synthetic with Handa filter(the rare honda filter) on my h22 cb7 and so far no problem but i want to try Amsoil 10W-30 Signature Series 100% Synthetic Motor Oil or Amsoil DOMINATOR® 10W-30 Racing Oil since i do race me car from time to time at the track

Comment

I use 10-40 semi synth, usually Castrol Magnatec or Shell Helix HX7

Have about 256thou KM on the clock, which is 150K miles roughly.

Very very minimal lifter noise at idle.
                            Idles smooth
                            Gets limiter bashed almost every day.

Fuel economy is 360 miles to a tank (beating on it)

Interested to try 10-30 next change. Currently it blows a little bit of smoke though, this may be spark plug seals, not 100% sure.

I change every 3-4k miles, I know it's pointless to change this often but oil is cheap and I feel better about it.

Comment

I use to work at a place doing about 50 oil changes a day. And trust me if you want to gunk up your engine use some pennzoil. If you want to use something that is gonna perform good and pe reasonable priced use mobile one or valvoline. If you want something that is gonna last awhile without having to be changed and also is good use amsoil. If you want something that works awesome like amsoil but doesn't last as long use royal purple.

Comment

Working...
                              X