Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

How do i know what refrigerant i have (r12 or r134a)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do i know what refrigerant i have (r12 or r134a)?

my AC is running pretty weak especially during the day, so i want to recharge the system, but i dont know if the previous owner had a conversion and i should just refill it with 134a or if its still stock and i need to refill with r12.

1990 Accord EX

If your AC is weak, then there might be a leak.

This means that if you refill it that all of the new stuff will leak out as well.

It is best to take it to a mechanic who is experienced with AC components. They will be able to tell you if the conversion was done or not. If it hasn't been done, then you should most likely purchase a conversion kit. R12 should not be used anymore.

Comment

Check the low pressure service port. It's right behind the radiator near the radiator cap.

Is the connector threaded or non-threaded?

1992 EX, 306,000 miles - Track toy - M2S4, H23A1, ST rear swaybar, Wagon brakes, GC coil sleeves, KYB AGX dampers, Stoptech pads, Toyo Proxes R1R, 2.25" exhaust

Stock F22A6
      VIR, 5/22/2016: https://youtu.be/eR5-ylSPsxk

H23A1 powered
      NCCAR, 9/4/2016: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI5WpxGrEpE
      CMP, 10/16/2016: https://youtu.be/DOqoe5f-GLY

Comment

I have heard of instances where a system was converted to r134a without changing the fittings. I've also heard of instances where the fittings were changed, but r12 was still used (it's not legal to sell it anymore, but it's still available if you know where to look...)

Taking it to a professional is probably your best bet. If you put the wrong stuff in, it'll do damage. If there's a leak, as said, whatever you put in will just leak out again (and that's not good for the environment.)
        I'm experiencing this same situation with the 1990 Miata I just bought, and I've arrived at the same conclusion... taking it to a pro.

Comment

alright looks like thats what ill have to do later this week then lol, thanks you

Comment

Fun fact..

All cars 1994 and up are charged with r134a. 1993 and older should be r12 unless retrofitted.

Be cautious of retrofitted systems that don't have a sticker or proof showing it was done correctly. The two freon types DO mix, but the oil doesn't. The mixing can cause parts of the system to fail.

Comment

Given the age of these cars, many of them have likely been retrofitted (properly or improperly) by now. I know I certainly wouldn't be able to identify a correctly done retrofit myself.

Comment

You know the little window on the drier? use them to check for air in the system, but sometimes when oils mix, you can see the brown nasty stuff flowing in there.

Comment

Originally posted by SkylineWalkrGTR View Post
                  my AC is running pretty weak especially during the day, so i want to recharge the system, but i dont know if the previous owner had a conversion and i should just refill it with 134a or if its still stock and i need to refill with r12.

1990 Accord EX
                  -I've got AC Issues as well and I found this one out the hard way. So, On my AC compressor, it says right on it that its an R12 system. Theres a little sticker on the left side of it if you're looking into the hood from the front of the car. Its very possible that its too dirty/dusty to see initially, but wipe it off and look for a sticker down there.

Another indication that I had was that when I tried to refill mine with R134A, I soon found that the fitting that comes with the R134A can doesn't fit on the cars Schrader Valve.

I still havent gotten around to fixing mine yet, but the link that I was given on how to do an R12 to R134A retrofit is here:

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=165508

-I've decided against retrofitting mine, and am going to replace the drier, drain the system, and fill w/R134A after searching for leaks.

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                    Fun fact..

All cars 1994 and up are charged with r134a. 1993 and older should be r12 unless retrofitted.

Be cautious of retrofitted systems that don't have a sticker or proof showing it was done correctly. The two freon types DO mix, but the oil doesn't. The mixing can cause parts of the system to fail.
                    This.

PAG is the most common oil for R134a. Mineral oil is for R12. PAG and mineral oil don't mix. However Ester oil is compatible with both.

You know the little window on the drier? use them to check for air in the system, but sometimes when oils mix, you can see the brown nasty stuff flowing in there.
                    Unfortunately most replacement driers don't have the sight glass. It's not completely necessary but I like it.

The fully functional R12 system in my 1993 LX still has the sight glass.
                    The fully functional R134A retrofit in my 1993 EX doesn't have the sight glass as I didn't purchase a drier with one.

The factory R12 system in my 1993 LX is much much colder than the retrofitted R134A system in my 1993 EX. Not too surprising being as the system was designed to operate on R12.

However, my R12 CB7's A/C is colder than my boss's 2016 Kia Sorento's A/C. I haven't put a thermometer in either yet but my R12 system is noticeably colder in comparison to the 2016 Kia Sorento. R12 is awesome if it's possible for a person to stick with the R12.

Great info your spreading around Chris, I've done the full retrofit myself as I'm sure remember and been inside both Denso and Hadsys compressors. Your spot on as for what I've learned through hands on experience and it's good to see the right information being tossed about. +1 rep for ya bud

Comment

Why thank you, Josh. I guess I did learn something in college.

Comment

I'm guessing I'm lucky with my AC system. Grandpa owns and hvac business and has 10 or so 30lb r12 cylinders laying around. Plus the r12 compatible replacements called freeze12,hot shot, etc.

On my white honda I bought a recharge kit from envirosafe. It's the ONLY way to recharge your r12 system without converting it if you don't have the resources I have.

The case I had on the white cb is that the seals in the comp needed conditioning which envirosafe sells so I got lucky with not having to rebuild

All in all I would highly recommend fixing your leaks and going the envirosafe route. It's blows much colder and will cost a lot less from a conversion stand point
                        visit vgruk

Comment

http://www.es-refrigerants.com/produ...4a/details.asp

This is what I bought back in 2011. Still blows cold to this day
                          visit vgruk

Comment

Fun fact..

When I had my sister's 1993 Acura Legend I found out it had a r134a system from the factory, my 1993 Honda Accord has a r12 system.

Comment

Originally posted by talonted1990 View Post
                              When I had my sister's 1993 Acura Legend I found out it had a r134a system from the factory, my 1993 Honda Accord has a r12 system.
                              If her car was made summer of 93, it would be considered a 94.

Comment

Working...
                              X