INT: Illuminated Window Switches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

INT: Illuminated Window Switches

I have been wanting to illuminate my passenger window switches to match my Legend illuminated master switch panel. After coming across a CR-V in the junkyard with an illuminated master switch(only certain years are), I finally have the means to do it. After that I did the Accord master switch.

Tools
    • Philips Screwdriver
    • Flat Blade Screwdriver
    • Soldering Iron and Solder
    • Drill and Drill Bits
    • Wire Cutter and Wire Stripper
    • CA Glue
    • Shrink Tube and Electrical Tape

Parts
    • 2 CR-V Master Window Switches
    • 7 3mm Leds
    • 7 Resistors To Match Leds
    • 22g Wire

Start by removing the door panels http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=198613. On the passenger and rear doors remove the single Philips screw from behind armpull and push out window switch.

On drivers door remove Philips screws and spring clips to remove armrest. Then remove the Philips screws holding switch assembly to armrest. Finally remove Philips screw holding to front trim and separate the switch.

Remove the 2 Philips screws from passenger and rear switches then remove front trim

Remove the dust seal

With the dust seal removed you will be able to see the actuator pivots. Carefully pry out the actuator.

This is what it looks like apart

The CR-V actuators have the same mounting points

Install the CR-V actuators into the Accord switch

To illuminate the CR-V actuator, drill a hole for a 3mm led. Don't drill too big or it will need to be glued in.

Press in led and reassemble switch.

To wire the leds there are a couple methods. The proper way to do it is to run 2 new wires into each door and connect to the dimmer. The led positive goes to Red/Blk and led negative goes to Red. This turns on switch backlighting with the lights and dims/brightens with dash dimmer

For those who do not want to run wires nor care if it dims, connect the led positive to window switch ignition feed inside door and ground the led negative wire inside the door.
    LF door + wht/yel
    RF door + blu/blk
    LR door + grn/blk
    RR door + yel/blk
    ground - blk

Switch burning bright

Moving on to the driver's master switch.

Remove dust seal from switch

The drivers master passenger actuators come apart just like the rear.
    The auto switch has a shaft that slides out. It is shaped different from the others but CR-V matches the Accord.

Drill holes for 3mm leds as shown for passenger and rear actuators. The driver's auto led needs to be placed closer to the actuator so cut the plastic and glue led in. Use CA glue not hot glue as pictured. You will need to power the led and make sure it illuminates properly while gluing.

Run wires out to the side and reinstall the dust seal. Wire to car as desired.

Front finished. I ran out of blue leds so the auto received a red one.

Last edited by excalibur02; 01-05-2018, 05:02 PM.
    Manual Belt Conversion-Variable Intermittent Wipers-Steering Volume Controls-Rear Defroster Antenna-JDM Climate Control-MDX Steering Wheel-Lighted Mirror Switch-CL Trunk Solenoid-CL Homelink-Shaved Hood Squirters-Foglight Wiring Diagram-Door Panel Removal-Puddle Lights-Ambient Lighting-Door Speaker Install-Window Seal and Regulator Cleaning-Prelude Cluster-Mirror Tweeter Pods-Illuminated Window Switch -More Coming Soon

Wow you sir, are talented.

Comment

yeah, THIS is cool. I love that no matter how old these cars get and how much has been done, more can always be found to do.

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
      Originally posted by Stephen Fry
      'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
      Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

wow this is cool! . Definitely something I am going to do for myself! Excellent work figuring that out.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
        - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
        - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
        - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
        - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
        Current cars:
        - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
        - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

This looks a lot easier, and with a better final product, than my Legend window switches. Good job!
          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

What year was the crv these came from?

Originally posted by Darkcloud
            Wimp go low or go home haha
            Originally posted by cb7_tillidie
            Not a single fuck was given that day.

Comment

very very well done ..

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
              http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

Sweet mod man.

Comment

way to go. I actually messed around with my rear defrost switch last night. For some reason every bulb I get for it from the junk yard is blown, so I fashioned in a blue led just to see if i could do it, and it works great. A little out of place with everything else being greenish/blue, but its was a great way to learn. Awesome MOD and a great write up!!!! will be doing this in the future.
                  For the love of god, STOP putting H.I.D's in stock housings!!! Projectors ONLY!!!

Comment

anything different on a coupe? I assume everything would still fit the same correct? Awesome DIY though
                    Originally posted by deevergote
                    Calling your USDM Accord "JDM" is like calling President Obama "African".

Comment

Originally posted by Jarrett View Post
                      This looks a lot easier, and with a better final product, than my Legend window switches. Good job!
                      Yes, much easier. I wanted to do this before I did the legend ones but did not want to pay ebay prices to try.

Originally posted by c91bse7
                      What year was the crv these came from?
                      1st gen cr-v later years 99-01

Originally posted by ambientwater
                      anything different on a coupe? I assume everything would still fit the same correct? Awesome DIY though
                      I don't know. If they are sourced from different manufacturers then maybe not. I know 7 gen civic coupe actuators are different from the 4 doors, rsx is same as coupe but 2nd gen cr-v use the same as 4 door civic.
                      Manual Belt Conversion-Variable Intermittent Wipers-Steering Volume Controls-Rear Defroster Antenna-JDM Climate Control-MDX Steering Wheel-Lighted Mirror Switch-CL Trunk Solenoid-CL Homelink-Shaved Hood Squirters-Foglight Wiring Diagram-Door Panel Removal-Puddle Lights-Ambient Lighting-Door Speaker Install-Window Seal and Regulator Cleaning-Prelude Cluster-Mirror Tweeter Pods-Illuminated Window Switch -More Coming Soon

Comment

Very cool..Rep given.

1991 Accord LX .

Comment

TTT great mod!

^^MY OLD RIDE
                          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...91#post3052591 <<**CURRENT DA9 BUILD**

Comment

in case the LED wiring is unclear to anybody:

Each LED should be wired to the 12-volt "illumination" power source, by way of its own resistor. A resistor reduces the power leading to the LED to a range it can handle, so it doesn't burn out.

These tiny 3mm LEDs tend to require a voltage range around 2-3 volts, but as a general ballpark, usually a 560 Ohm resistor would work fine. 560-ohm resistors come in various sizes/wattages. In this case, a 1/4-watt resistor would be fine. The resistor can be connected to either pin of the LED, inline between the LED and the power source. Here's a wiring diagram as an example:

Last edited by cp[mike]; 02-04-2015, 07:26 PM.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
                            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
                            - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                            - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
                            - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
                            - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
                            - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
                            - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
                            Current cars:
                            - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
                            - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Great thread, really interesting. So only certain models have the "AUTO" letters on drivers switch illuminated? Is there a way to tell if it lights up by just looking at it on pics uninstalled?

Euro CB7 2.2i [F22A3] --> [H22A7]

Comment

Working...
                              X