Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Euro R, aftermarket flywheel and timing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Euro R, aftermarket flywheel and timing?

So I have an aftermarket flywheel on my Euro R swap and I just noticed a tidbit of info in this thread http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=210090

Now within said thread it is mentioned that
    Originally posted by 9tAkord View Post
    H22 ignition timing is at 15 degrees before top dead center (red mark) on idle. Top dead center is the white mark. So your timing light should be spotting on the red mark on idle when your motor has correct ignition timing...

And yes Euro-R fly timing mark is at 12 degrees BTDC.

Now I have an aftermarket flywheel which I would assume is marked for USDM timing. If all this is factually accurate then my engine should be off timing by 3 degrees no?

Any thoughts? I'd imagine the car wouldn't run well if at all with timing off by that much but I have to think the difference in timing marks on JDM vs USDM H22's is there for a reason.

Comment

I thought that you would pick up on that thread about the Euro-R timing. I had no idea it was supposed to be at 12 Degrees. But, I did Google what an ideal timing would be for the 11:1 compression & other people who have that same compression do also set the timing to about 12 Degrees.

But, for your flywheel couldn't you just look at the mark for the 15 Degree mark & adjust the Distributor while also using an adjustable timing light?

How does your car run?? I mean if it is only off by 3 Degrees I can't imagine it would run too bad.

I literally had to turn the engine over by hand & clean off my markings with brake cleaner & a skinny paint brush to see it on my OEM flywheel.
      Keep Pushing..

Comment

Originally posted by G. Wiffington View Post
        I thought that you would pick up on that thread about the Euro-R timing. I had no idea it was supposed to be at 12 Degrees. But, I did Google what an ideal timing would be for the 11:1 compression & other people who have that same compression do also set the timing to about 12 Degrees.

But, for your flywheel couldn't you just look at the mark for the 15 Degree mark & adjust the Distributor while also using an adjustable timing light?

How does your car run?? I mean if it is only off by 3 Degrees I can't imagine it would run too bad.

I literally had to turn the engine over by hand & clean off my markings with brake cleaner & a skinny paint brush to see it on my OEM flywheel.
        Well I haven't really considered that option but I was curious of the effect of that 3 degree difference more than anything. I would imagine that there would be some loss of power. I really have no comparison as I have never ran my car with the Euro-R flywheel (and the aftermarket is a bit lighter so some perceived differences could be because of that). Considering how quickly things happen inside an engine and the forces involved I'd rather have my timing spot on than off even if by a small margin.

Comment

Yeah I totally understand.

Are you going to redo the timing so it is at 12?

I'd like to see your setup sometimes since us plus a few other people are the only current Euro-R owners.
          Last edited by G. Wiffington; 05-01-2018, 02:58 PM.
          Keep Pushing..

Comment

Originally posted by G. Wiffington View Post
            Yeah I totally understand.

Are you going to redo the timing so it is at 12?

I'd like to see your setup sometimes since us plus a few other people are the only current Euro-R owners.
            I might try it just to see if there's a difference in power and smoother running.

my setup isn't anything special, it's pretty much the bare necessities to get the engine in and running. Not to mention all of my pictures were on PB and I don't even have access to my old accounts.

Comment

Sweet, deff report back to see if there was any difference.

Yeah mine is basically the same way lol. Just I/H/E & Hondata s300 (p28).

It is definitely a fun engine though!

Did you have someone tune it for you? &/or Dyno'ed?
              Keep Pushing..

Comment

Yes the red timing mark is at 12degrees btdc on a Euro-r flywheel, I have it on my car now. I use a inductive timing light and just set it to 15 degrees and adjust the timing on the white mark (TDC). I have a H22a motor, so if you have a Euro-r motor and want to set the ignition timing to 12 degrees btdc just set the timing light to 12 degrees and adjust your distributor till it hits TDC...
                Last edited by 9tAkord; 05-28-2018, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X