Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*Official Photography Thread* (56k warning)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's not so much Canon as much as it is full frame. But full frame gives you a lot of choice lens wise. Plus lenses don't lose too much value if any at all. And a lot of it comes down to what and how you shoot anyway......

Originally posted by lordoja
    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Yea, that's true I guess.

Well I kind of shoot EVERYTHING. I don't shoot sports, and I don't shoot live concerts. I do headshots, I do real estate, I do any and all events, and formal portraiture.

So I really could benefit from a wide range of lens, but I do not make enough to afford the lens I would want, so I have been making what I have work, and its definitely possible.

I really only wanted the L stuff for the color rendition and the weather resistance since they have rubber seals that mate up with my MKIII.

Other than that, if you had to make run of the mil primes/zooms work, you most certainly could.

Shit I know someone who unloaded all their Canon gear, a 1D, and all L glass to move over to the FUJI X system. I also contemplated it for a bit because I love the X series bodies from FUJI, and their colors are just gorgeous. Their "stock" lens lineup is actually pretty badass.

And the mirror less and electronic viewfinder are supposed to be otherworldly.

I really want one as a travel camera, but I was looking at one of the older x100s as they have leaf shutters and can utilize off camera flash and do shutter speeds of over 1/30000 or something crazy like that. You can get some amazing mid day shots with that setup.

Comment

I'm not a huge fan of Fuji. Their system is basically APS-C IQ for FF money. They do have some more affordable bodies and lenses, but then so does Canon EF. I just saw that the 6D is only $999 new... probably like $600-700 used.... damn good for a FF body with good image quality. Changing systems is $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ anyway... for a second I thought about moving to Canon from Sony, but when the 6D2 came out without 4K I said "fuck that".

I never really bought into the weather sealed thing. They say stuff is weathersealed but is it really? I don't want to gamble $xxxx to find out. Outex just came out with a pretty ingenious solution that works with any camera- basically a camera condom with a filter thread and clear filter. A little pricey for what it is but still brilliant. Most of my lenses use a 67mm filter so I'd be good to go. There have been a lot of times we've been at the beach and I wanted to get some photos in the water... 100% no go with the A7II, and I don't do that enough to where I'd want a (shitty) camera just for that. This Outex housing looks pretty damn good....

Originally posted by lordoja
        im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Well I fucking splurged lol.

Bought a 85mm f1.2L the other day.

It came yesterday, and it is fucking massive.

Did some quick shots outside when my kids were playing. 1.2 is such a small window of DOF, but even stopped down to 4.0, the subject isolation is amazing. Great bokeh.

Everything they say is true hahaha

I noticed that AF is slightly slower than my 24-70, but that is namely because its such a large piece of glass. I don't think itll be a problem for me. I shoot outdoors mostly, and the few times during events where I might need 1.2 to get an artistic shot, or go without shooting full power on my speedlights, Its not usually a fast moving object anyway, so the slower AF should not be a big deal for me.

I felt I am at a point where I shoot enough portraits where I needed some extra oomph. The dreamy "3d" look is very nice, and I can tell that its easy to get a lot of images with this lens that need very limited editing. Colors are amazing and probably would just need a little CA treatment and highlight recovery and done.

Ill post some examples up once I really shoot with her.

Comment

I shot with this lens, then .. I threw my 1.8 L on ...
            and no one could tell the difference.

I printed 12 photos ... 6 a-piece .. even I lost my recollection lol .. I couldn't see the difference ..
            But I saw it in the spending price lol ...

I have a great copy of the 1.8. Paired with the 1ds Mk3, its solid gold .. I sold it once ... I'll never do that again ..

My CB9/Wagon Thread Start to Finish:
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ighlight=wagon

Comment

Originally posted by PakaloloHonda View Post
              I shot with this lens, then .. I threw my 1.8 L on ...
              and no one could tell the difference.

I printed 12 photos ... 6 a-piece .. even I lost my recollection lol .. I couldn't see the difference ..
              But I saw it in the spending price lol ...

I have a great copy of the 1.8. Paired with the 1ds Mk3, its solid gold .. I sold it once ... I'll never do that again ..
              1.8L????

Never heard of that. Can't find a copy online????LOL

Either way, I would not doubt it. Many reviews said you could fare just as well with the 85 1.8 non L version etc.

YN7A5629 by Ralph Ricciardi, on Flickr

That's one of the first snaps I took. Focus is a bit off, seems it focused on her hand.

Going to take a bit to get used to wielding this thing at f1.2, but for most of my pro gigs, ill probably shoot between 2.8 and 4.

Itll be nice to have the 1.2 for events where lighting is sketchy though.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
                1.8L????

Never heard of that. Can't find a copy online????LOL
                Oops .. ya .. 1.8 NON L
                Just love mine ... will never sell it again! Period!

Comment

Well I did a thing.

I completely switched from Canon to Fuji X.

Every since the X-T1 came out, I fell in love with the physical attributes and the improvements in tech over my 5DkIII(wireless/BT, EVF, AF improvements)

At the time, I had read that people were jumping ship, but I was set on staying Canon.

I picked up the 24-70L and the 85 1.2L and life was good.

Then I stumbled on the X-T3. Autofocus with eye tracking? 430 af points? improved speed over the X-T1? 30 frames per second? 4k video in 10bits? wowza.

So I did my reading and research. Everything was wonderful. It was rated one of the best cameras of 2018. Nothing really bad about it. ISO performance was knocked over the X-T2 but that was mainly due to more MP on the sensor and the improved tech introducing more signal noise.

So I decided that I wanted to make the switch namely because their lineup is so affordable, the gear is half the weight, the JPEGS are really astounding SOOC, and their color rendition is magical as well as providing "film simulations".

I sold all my gear and picked up a brand new X-T3 and the 18-55 2.8.

I kept my manual focus primes.

I am saving up to pickup the 35 f2, 56 1.2, and 90 F2.

I have found that while it is APS-C, that works better for me, because it is less demanding on glass. The Fuji lineup is well rated for its sharpness and accuracy, and the manual primes ive collected will fare better with APS-C as it utilizes the sharpest parts of the lens.

ISO is not as good as my 5dMKIII, but its not that far behind. I didn't fully utilize the high ISO performance of the Canon because I either shot in daylight, or at events, I use speedlights, so I never really needed to live in a high iso environment.

Other than that, this camera is amazing. I can get away with not editing 65-75% of my images because the jpeg are soo good sooc. The colors are amazing and the film sims are really cool. The feel of the camera is the best part. Its more engaging and more apt to the days of film. I use this alongside my Minolta hi-matic AF-2 and I feel like im living in the 80s.

Everything is metal, and feels robust, but all of it weighs less than my 85 1.2L by itself. No more back aches and soreness the next day after a 5 hour event.

having the wireless and Bluetooth built in is a plus that my 5dmkiii didn't have. My wife has her own blog now, so when I snap quick shots for her, I don't have to run to a computer to download and then edit them. If I nail it in camera, I can just wirelessly transfer the image to her and its done.

And the AF....omg. AF with eye tracking. Simply amazing. Not as good as Sony's, but its pretty close. It works amazing. For events where people are posing 80% of the time, it nails AF and it makes it so much simpler.

For movement during events, its pretty good too. A lot more keepers.

So far I am completely impressed. I had no issues with my Canon stuff, but I like the way that Fuji is headed and also appreciate that they continually update their stuff.

I like their image rendering and their color science and the ability to carry this camera literally everywhere with me as opposed to my bulky 5DmIII is a blessing.

I will post some examples when I get them uploaded to Flickr.

Comment

It IS a pretty amazing lil fart no?

Tell me, what's the size of the file at its largest JPEG.
                    So, they don't offer it with RAW? Are you using adapters with Canon glass?

I just went to amazon ... wow ... its not full frame?
                    https://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-X-T3...7&sr=8-1-fkmr0
                    Last edited by PakaloloHonda; 03-29-2019, 07:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PakaloloHonda View Post
                      It IS a pretty amazing lil fart no?

Tell me, what's the size of the file at its largest JPEG.
                      So, they don't offer it with RAW? Are you using adapters with Canon glass?

I just went to amazon ... wow ... its not full frame?
                      https://www.amazon.com/Fujifilm-X-T3...7&sr=8-1-fkmr0
                      It is for sure an amazing fart lol. Its little alright. Almost seems like a toy.

IMG_8665 by Ralph Ricciardi, on Flickr

Largest JPEG is 6240x4160 at 26MP.

Yes it shoots Raw & Jpeg. No, I sold my good canon glass. I am using adapters for my old manual focus lens which include the minolta rokkor-x 50 1.4, a Tokina 24mm 2.8, a Yeshica 50mm 1.9, and a Tamron 85-210.
                      Nah not full frame. APS-C mirrorless. Like the Sony counterparts.

It uses the x-trans processor as opposed to a Bayer and it has a mechanical shutter as well as an electronic.

I don't regret the move one bit. Its so light and easy to use. Image quality is on par with FF, although there will be people who don't agree. I can't tell the difference between my Fuji images and my Canon ones. ISO performance is better on FF, because of sensor size, but its not THAT much better. Like I previously said, I don't often shoot in high ISO conditions, so the trade-offs are well worth it.

Here are two from a recent event I shot- clean beautiful colors which is what they are known for.
                      DSCF0592 by Ralph Ricciardi, on Flickr

DSCF0487 by Ralph Ricciardi, on Flickr

Those are pretty much SOOC. I imported them to Lightroom and brought down highlights and sharpened a bit, but otherwise, they pretty much come out that way.
                      Last edited by Ralphie; 03-30-2019, 09:45 PM.

Comment

pretty fricken amazing where we're going with this technology ... thanks for sharing!

Comment

I just love the 56k warning we used to type. What a fantastic thing to see. I miss the old days sometimes, lol.
                          My Car
                          FREE Web hosting solutions

Comment

Working...
                          X