No announcement yet.

Rilas : 1993 Accord SE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When I replaced my sunroof glass I had to take everything thing down just to clean the two decades of dirt, twigs and what looked like a couple pistachio shells stuck in the rails. If you’re doing it alone. It’s seriously not fun putting everything back in. Not to mention half of the interior has to be taken out just to get the headliner down and out. Doing it multiple times now I’ve gotten good at interior re-assembly lol. Old Lola looks pretty good inside. For me nice leather blows away cloth. Heated leather rules, cloth drools.
    5 studded & leather clad - Praise The Lowered

~Mark~

Comment

From what was exposed when I replaced the glass in my coupe, it was pretty clean in there - no debris to speak of. Whenever I've removed the interior plastic pieces, some of the tabs always seem to break - after multiple times there'd be nothing left to hold it in.
      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
        I guess a little late, but the sunroof glass can be replaced from above.

Looking good!

I'm curious - I've seen a few photos with engines out where the axles still appear to be in place. Is there enough play with the lower ball joint undone to be able to pop them out of the transmission? Any time I've pulled a trans or engine/trans, I completely removed them.
        If you unbolt the entire upper control arms and remove the fork on the shock, you can press the lower control arms down enough and pull the knuckles out, that you can remove the inner splines from the transmission. This prevents using any specialty tools, just 14mm and 17mm sockets and a wrench. I always do this and skip removing them, as I hate taking off the axle nuts. Broken too many tools on them.

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
        From what was exposed when I replaced the glass in my coupe, it was pretty clean in there - no debris to speak of. Whenever I've removed the interior plastic pieces, some of the tabs always seem to break - after multiple times there'd be nothing left to hold it in.
        I had so much crap in there to clean out, and also had to re-glue the entire seal back into place. It was barely hanging on at all. Only after removing the sunroof frame I found out you could replace the glass without removing the frame. Overall I think it was better in the long run as a bunch of the nuts that you can't access were super loose already, so I got to tighten everything back up.

Some of the tabs did break for sure. I actually was able to epoxy them back together and I don't think they will ever break in that place again. Old Lola was kind of an experiment for testing out fixes for Lola to see what actually works in repairing the plastics. I've even removed the plastic pieces a few times after repairing them and they snapped out of place just fine. I use Gorilla Glue epoxy, that stuff has some ridiculous bond strength.
        Last edited by Rilas; 05-08-2018, 11:11 PM.
        MRT: 1993 Honda Accord SE Coupe (Lola)

Comment

Originally posted by NH-503P-3 View Post
          When I replaced my sunroof glass I had to take everything thing down just to clean the two decades of dirt, twigs and what looked like a couple pistachio shells stuck in the rails. If you’re doing it alone. It’s seriously not fun putting everything back in. Not to mention half of the interior has to be taken out just to get the headliner down and out. Doing it multiple times now I’ve gotten good at interior re-assembly lol. Old Lola looks pretty good inside. For me nice leather blows away cloth. Heated leather rules, cloth drools.
          Yeah it wasn't fun, but it really wasn't too awful either, maybe it's because I'm tall enough. Mine had leaves and a ton of dirt in it, as well as other junk and all the nuts being loose.

All but the drivers seat was still in great condition. I replace the drivers seat with one from a '91 sedan SE, so the pattern is different but in great condition. In fact that leather is so soft it still feels new, granted it had dirt embedded into it, so it doesn't look the best, but it's so soft. They aren't heated but they are OEM SE factory leather that was maintained for 25+ years. Hard to complain about that. The sad thing is that I'm preparing this car for sale. Almost fully rebuilt everything, other than rings, engine bearings, shocks and exhaust.

Comment

Well guys I would have fulfilled my word to get this thing updated the rest of the way except you know life happened again. I took my son out to Lola National Forest to do some hiking for an hour or two, and on our way out to the spot we were headed to Ruby (2009 Honda Pilot) decided to blow a transmission cooling line and strand us about 8 miles away from the nearest phone. If you think a cell phone was useful you are so wrong. There is no cell service anywhere in the area, I had to hike with my son on my back to the nearest lodge to use a land line. OMG am I sore, it's been a while since I've been hiking, and well I had a 45 lbs backpack on the entire time. So maybe after I rescue Ruby tomorrow I'll finish updating my thread.
            Last edited by Rilas; 05-08-2018, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Damn hiking more after you’re done hiking sucks. Sorry to hear that.
              Yeah, I saw the sedan drivers seat but hey, what else can ya do? Lol. It is a very nice seat. I’ll tell you what, out of all of the leather interiors I’ve come across, and all of the colors I’ve seen, there has never been a set of front seats that I could say were useable. Or even near it. All of them were in “unsalvageable” condition. So what you have now is really nice and pretty rare.

~Mark~

Comment

Alright guys the order on some of this is going to be totally random sorry for some of that.

RDX Injectors 1

RDX Injectors 2 (As you can see here the top hat's won't seat all the way with the tab sticking out.)

RDX Injectors 3 (Cut the tabs off and the top hats seat perfectly.)

F23A Intake Manifold with RDX Injectors

eBay Fuel Line for Civic on F23A Intake Manifold

F23A Engine Internals

F23A1 Oil Pump Cleaned Up (Specs have been checked on this OEM oil pump I pulled off my F23A1 block. It is still within the tight end of Honda's specs, so I'm not going to replace it. I am going to have it ported though, so it has less cavitation.)

Circuit Breaker 1

Circuit Breaker 2

Circuit Breaker 3 (I still need to cleanup the negative battery cable, but the positive should show you what I'm after with the negative cable.)

Black Leather RL Grab Handles

Old Wheels 1 (This is for you Raf, as I promised this a long time ago and failed to deliver. These Konig's were my favorite wheels, but I cracked one and couldn't find a replacement. I finally found people who will weld aluminum I might have it repaired and run these again.)

Old Wheels 2

Legend GS Dual Piston Calipers (I'm sure these are an upgrade to the Prelude brakes, I can't really tell a difference. I did install these before the first autocross meet. Maybe braking is improved at the extremes.)

JDM Foglights and EGR Block Off Plate (Thanks Nick! I need to repair one of the housings for the fog lights then I'll work on getting them installed. The block off plate is for the F23A1 intake manifold.)

Fumoto Oil Drain Valve 1 (This has officially solved my oil leak out of the drain plug. I haven't gotten a chance to actually use it to drain the oil yet. I love this thing though, it doesn't add any clearance to the bottom of the engine, I was worried about that. Also to drain the oil it's now just a flick of my thumb, I wish I had gotten one with the hose drain nipple though. I might replace the drain piece after I use it a few times for the one with the nipple.)

Fumoto Oil Drain Valve 2

3rd Radiator Foot (Yes the welds are shit on this, but it won't come off. It was in a horrible area, and I wasn't in the mood to drop the traction bar.)

Civic Half Radiator 1 (After I bought and installed this I found out there are 2 different Civic radiators and I bought the wrong one. I got the one that has the inlet and outlet's a bit smaller than the Accords. If you buy a radiator for the other type of Civic it has the same size inlet/outlet as the Accord. I am probably going to buy the right radiator to replace this one. Twice now in the last week while driving Lola I've had CEL 11 come on for engine overheating. I have a few solutions for this, first is a block off plate on half of the condenser, so that all the air has to travel through the radiator, secondly I'm wrapping the header, third I'm going to double check the flow of my fans, fourth I'm thinking about adding some S2000 hood vents. This has only happened in the last week with temps getting close to 70* F, so I really need to get this solved before the heat is really here.)

Civic Half Radiator 2

Civic Half Radiator 3

Civic Half Radiator 4

Civic Half Radiator 5 (I took the OEM hose and turned it around and then trimmed the new front end to fit and this is the end result. Raf I know you were looking for way to make the hose look better awhile ago. This is the solution, although I know your going for -AN radiator hoses now.)

H22A4 Transmission Stiffener Bracket (I have been looking for this damn thing for years now. Even my dealership hasn't been able to find this piece in their diagrams to order for me. I got it with the M2Y4 that I found in the junk yard. This allows the transmission to be bolted the aluminum oil pans to create a stronger bond between transmission and engine.)

M2Y4 Transmission 1 (Still in the process of cleaning this bastard off. This was also installed by the first auto cross event.)

M2Y4 Transmission 2

M2Y4 Transmission 3

Lola 1 (A few pictures from last summer that I found lurking on my phone.)

Lola 2

Lola 3

Lola 4 (I thought this was a cool spot where they cut the giant granite rock in half for the road.)

A few things that I haven't touched on in these updates. While the bottom end of my F23A1 is done at the engine shop, I haven't given them a single dime to pay for any of it. I was hoping my side IT job would have been wrapped up months ago. Well life has just been kicking my ass in general and to say the least, it's still not done. I've been working on it, just one road block after another keeps coming up. I only have 1 thing left to have the entire project done then I'm getting paid for it. With the money I'm going to pay for the block and buy a Wavetrac lsd for the M2Y4. The focus going forward on the project is going to be getting the necessary stuff to get the LSD installed, and finish up the head for the F23A1, as well as buying the OEM parts for the engine.

I think I've covered almost everything that you guys have missed that has happened to Lola. If I come up with anything else I'll be sure to update my thread per the usual.
                Last edited by Rilas; 05-10-2018, 02:50 PM.

Comment

For any of you wondering, yesterday I was able to successfully rescue Ruby. Granted it was a total shit show. It's awesome having your vehicle stranded in an area that most people don't know, and it's even better when it has no cell service. The tow truck guy got lost out in Lolo National Forest, I had to do a little off-roading in the Acura TL to find him. The road to where the Pilot was stranded at was fine to drive the TL on, but somehow this guy got on a side road out there, that wasn't really car friendly. No damage to the TL, just stuff I wouldn't normally drive through with the car.

I'm still not sure what failed on it though. I wasn't up to the task yesterday after hiking the day before, my feet were and still are killing me.

Tonight I plan on starting to tear it down, whatever it was that failed is on the passenger side. Either a line to the transmission cooler blew out or the cooler itself has failed. Further inspection should let me know.

Comment

Rilas, the car is gorgeous. I’m totally jealous of the cleanliness. Hey, with that civic radiator, are you or can you still run the AC?

~Mark~

Comment

Originally posted by NH-503P-3 View Post
                      Rilas, the car is gorgeous. I’m totally jealous of the cleanliness. Hey, with that civic radiator, are you or can you still run the AC?
                      Thanks Mark!

I can and do run the A/C just about every time I take the car out. Like I mentioned though, I need to make a block off plate in front of half of the condenser.

Comment

Alright so after 2 weeks I finally got the Pilot up and running again. What a pain in the ass that was. I didn't help that 5-6 of the nights we had storms or rain all evening. The Pilot was dropped off in the driveway and didn't move until running again. Working on it wasn't really an option while it was pouring down rain.

The failure was that the passenger side lower transmission cooling line blew the fitting out of the radiator. Then the transmission just pumped all the fluid out of the system. This is a common problem of this radiator. To make it even better it was a known problem for Honda/Acura since '03 MDX and it wasn't fixed by '09 on the 2nd Generation of the Pilot. I replaced the radiator with a Denso unit, same as Honda would have sold me, from RockAuto. Desno was the original radiator as well, but has since been redesigned to not have the same failure. (Fleetw00d trying to give you a heads up that eventually your radiator is going to fail in your Pilot, in a horrible way.) Since I had the radiator out I decided it was time to do a bit more maintenance on the old girl, since I could actually reach a bunch of stuff with the radiator out.

- Denso Radiator
                        - OEM Thermostat
                        - OEM Radiator Cap
                        - OEM Antifreeze
                        - Adjusted valves (So much easier with the radiator out, at least for the forward facing cylinder head.)
                        - OEM valve cover gaskets
                        - OEM grommets on valve covers
                        - Disassembled intake manifold and fully cleaned it (I didn't know that the Pilots had a magnesium intake manifold that split in half as well. I thought only the ZDX had them.)
                        - Cleaned the lower runners
                        - Cleaned the throttle body
                        - Cleaned all the of splash shield and lower areas of the bumper cover (Fully coated in transmission fluid.)
                        - Cleaned the fender liners and other removable plastics on the lower bumper (Fully coated in transmission fluid.)
                        - Replace all of Honda's tension hose clamps with worm drive clamps
                        - Cleaned half of the sub frame and other things that were coated in transmission fluid
                        - Changed the oil (I always Seafoam the crankcase ahead of time, after taking off the valve covers this engine still needs a bit more time before she's going to be nice and clean. The previous owner must not have really believed in oil changes.)
                        - Finally installed new license plate holder (We left the old one on Lookout pass this past winter. FYI new vehicles suck balls when they lose control. Who in the hell thought it would be a good idea to fully kill power to the car while it has lost control? Yes in the dark, spinning with no damn headlights makes for super great times!!)

Anyway I should be back to working on Lola soon. I need to get my ECU sent off to Sonik to do some mods on it for me. More than anything I just really need to go drive Lola. I haven't driven her in 3-4 weeks.
                        Last edited by Rilas; 05-25-2018, 12:41 PM.

Comment

On Tuesday night 5/22/18 I fell off the step that I have to get into the attic, as I was putting things away. I fell on Lola's passenger side door, and dented it.... Granted the passenger door needed to be replaced anyway due to something a previous owner did. As it has a long groove under the door handle. This isn't noticeable all the time only in certain lights. Well my new dent is clearly visible pretty much all the time. I'm going to try and get a picture of this.

I might try and find a straight door at the junkyard tomorrow. We are headed to Cheney, WA for the weekend. I'm hitting up Pull & Save tomorrow for things that I need for old and new Lola, might as well try and find a straight door.

I was not injured other than a fat lip and some pride.
                          Last edited by Rilas; 06-06-2018, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Glad you didn't hurt yourself too badly.

If the dent isn't too bad, I've had several paintless dent repair guys do some wonderful work on my cars. I have a pretty good pair of coupe doors if you happen to come to OH.
                            90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
                            08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I actually found a PDR shop only 2 blocks away from my house. I've taken Lola over there 3 times now, to find the shop empty. I'm going to try again one more time after work today. If not I'll just call and setup an appointment.

I've been driving Lola the last few days to work, due to leaving my TL keys in Washington over the weekend.

A the most recent issues with her...

- Replaced the passenger drivers door handle backing plate (One of the screw holes was stripped out.)
                              - Wideband 02 Sensor reads ---- half the time (I need to look at the wiring, which I need to work on anyway to get my ecu mailed to Sonik.)

Other than that, not much else has been been going on with her. I still have an entire punch list to work on for the car, but none of it is pressing stuff.

Comment

Went for a drive on Sunday after doing a bit of troubleshooting for a fluctuating idle. It's not bad, but it is just slightly going up maybe 50 rpm's. Well I bled the coolant just to make sure it didn't have any air in it. Well I forgot to tighten the radiator cap and covered the entire engine bay in antifreeze.

Later on Sunday evening, I got my Honda pressure washer running and cleaned the car up and bit and really went over the engine bay. I think I got all of it cleaned up. There was still a hint of antifreeze smell. I think I'm going to take a few things off and wash it down one more time.

I don't think I found the idle issue yet. It wasn't due to the tune on the S300 either, as I have the stock P13 back into the car right now. This is occurring with both ecu's.

What the hell is up with all of our H22Ax's having idle issues lately?

I wanted to go for a drive tonight but it didn't happen.

In other news I did work on old Lola today. I got her main front seal replaced, I didn't use an OEM one the first time around. I should have known better. Timing is all back together, I let it idle and warm up. It ran for around 30 minutes and so far has no signs of an oil leak on the front main seal now.
                                Last edited by Rilas; 06-06-2018, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X