K24/k20 Cb7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

K24/k20 Cb7

Ok guys I'm new when it comes to the K series (have had many F/H series). I definitely want to go K24a2 in the CB this time. Been doing tons and TONS of research and I've been putting the info to use. Here are my plans.. K24a2 longblock, complete ported and upgraded head and IM, with a set of pistons with a little comp bump in the block. Not looking for a redline over 8000rpm. I want to keep my OEM gear box so I will be using a 5spd trans from the CM5. 250whp would be awesome and is my goal. Car will be DD (93 octane) so PS and AC/Heat will have to remain. Also take a 400 mile trip a few times a year so reliability will be a big deal. I've seen two of these swaps done by members on here but they haven't been on in months. Any advice/input/help/info on where to get parts and/or services to complete this swap would be greatly appreciated. Experiences with certain part successes also. Mounts and axles with be purchased from Hasport and shifter cables from AFH. I'm sure it will be at least a $10,000 swap so I'm preparing for at least a year. Thanks in advance guys!!
    Last edited by mjsstanley; 05-11-2017, 10:06 PM.

No real advice here, It's not like its 10 years ago when one could barely find mounts for the K. So sounds like you just need to do it

Comment

It really is just a bolt-in affair these days. Tons of places make swap harnesses for any K engine/chassis combination imaginable and the mount kits even have variety to accommodate all three styles of transmissions. You'll need some exhaust work to fit the header you go with, but most everything else is really off-the-shelf. I'd really like to install a K24A2 into my CB7, but I've just spent too much in parts for my H23A that I could just never dream of getting back a decent value in.

I'm building a J-series on the side if I ever decide to get crazy with it.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Thanks for the input Jarrett! The guys at Hasport have been very helpful with certain parts. They have mounts, axles, and even make a special harness for our CBs. One things I am wondering is if the OEM shifter cables for the 03-07 Accord manual tranny will work with the CB gearbox Also have to figure out how much of a headache the PS and AC will be..

Comment

CB gearbox? I think you mean CM5, right? If so, yes, it will work.
          My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

There was a guy who did a K swap in a cb7 already, several actually. Don't think they are around any longer.

Comment

I know it may seem weird but I really want my shifter to remain the same. I want the same shifter knob and leather around it. So I'm hoping underneath all of that the new cables would hook up to

Yeah I know I've seen a couple between here and Honda-Tech but no one active.

Comment

Cars with K series engines use cable-shifted transmissions, don't they? You will have to use the transmission for the K series, as the F series spins the other way (meaning the transmission is geared for an engine that spins the other way...) As long as the throws of the CB's shifter aren't too long or short for the transmission you use (I don't imagine they would be), then you'll be able to keep your current shifter setup. It's still likely to feel different, though.

Comment

Yes Deev, they are cable shifted. Thanks for the info regarding the throws. I think my next step (before I start buying parts) is going to be to stop by a few dyno shops here in Atlanta. A couple of em are good for Honda swaps so I will ask about their work with K series swaps. Would be awesome to find someone that has done one in the CB but even in 2016, that swap is still rare.

Quick question.. I plan on buying all of the parts myself, the only services I will need will be the install of course, but also porting and polishing the head and IM, and installing a new set of pistons in the block. You guys think $5,000 for that labor will be plenty?

Comment

There are a few on here. Fatman88 did his recently. I don't know how active he is these days, but I talk to him on facebook pretty regularly. I can send him your way next time I talk to him. I saw his swap in person, so I know he did it right!
                    Installing it shouldn't be beyond your abilities. If you have the time and the space to do it, it's nothing you can't work your way through. It won't be quick, and you'll certainly make some mistakes... but it's definitely doable.

Comment

That would be awesome Deev! I really wish I still had the space that I did when I had my H22 swap done. I'm in a condo with not even a storage unit now And as you probably remember, my H swap turned into a nightmare and didn't last long at all. So I definitely want someone who KNOWS what they're doing or knows someone who does to guide me with this one. Money wont be an issue at all, seeing as though I do want complete reliability. Still can't believe how lucky I was to get my hands on the CB I just bought
                      My email is mjsstanley@yahoo.com

Comment

How did the H swap turn into a nightmare what exactly happen?

Comment

From talking to Jon (FatMan88) at the time that he did his he was probably one of the first guys to attempt it and it cost him a pretty penny (he ended up re-doing his car bodywise so that added a bit more to the total cost).

Here's the breakdown on the cost of the parts:

I had researched this months ago so they're spot on for prices:

Basic parts needed:

HASport CBK Mount kit - $500

OEM RSX-S Engine harness (brand new via afhkparts.com) - $395

HASport K swap axles: $444

So far cost is: $1,339

Exhaust:

Various companies make K swap specific exhaust manifolds (excuse my language but I fucking hate the word headers) but thru HAsport you can obtain:

DC Sports K Swap manifold and it retails at: $379.00

With that tacked on now it's at: $1,718

Shift bits:

2003- 07 Accord shifter : $59.85

2003 - 07 Accord shifter cables : $119.95

The biggest hurdle you'd probably encounter would be the main center piece...the engine management system.

There are 2 routes:

The K-Pro by Hondata which retails directly from them for $695.

Or the alternate you could run a stock K24 ecu but you would have to get the Immobilizer bypass from K-Tuned and that retails for $199.99 easier on your wallet and simple to install and use.

With everything added up with the K-Pro it'll run around $2,592.80 or if you decided against the K-Pro and went with the K-Tuned bypass $1,698.80

And that it's just the basic breakdown of the costs and complete total in the end of the parts that would be needed for the swap.

You'd still need the motor but that all depends on which one you choose since there are different variants of the k24.

The one that Jon is running in his car is a K24A2 out of a TSX Type S with a matching 6 speed transmission.

Usual ball park on that motor has been around $1,200 just for the complete block alone and about $1,000 for the transmission by itself.

You can easily cut costs by obtaining the smaller parts like the shifter and cables thru local junkyards as the 7th gens have started to become commonly seen in yards now as well as engine harnesses but you would need the RSX-S engine harness specifically for the swap.

Few sites to visit:

VTEC Academy really good and infomative site that owner of HASport himself Brian Gillespie started a year ago.

He has a youtube channel that's tied into that site so you can see what he has been able to accomplish.

I met him last year at a HondaDay event in NJ probably the coolest part of my entire automotive hobby.

Another site to visit and extensively study if you'd like to know boost applications and what others are running is here:

K20A.org the k series source

Unfortunately they have limited info as far as swaps into the Accord and Prelude go (same platform basically) and they're geared more towards the Civic and Integra crowd, but the good part about that site is that they're stuffed full of good info on the K24/20 motors.

Websites to visit for required parts:

Engine mounts:

HASport

Innovative Mounts

Engine Managment:

K-Tuned

Hondata

Parts:

AFH Parts

A good indicator of where to locate your desired motor would be to use this:

Car-Part.com

You can use it to locate motors in your area or in other parts of the country. I purposely left out the engine distributors because there are more than one that you can use Google to locate and visit.

Final summary:

My advice to use is read up and study those sites and the key factor is: finances. I've heard a lot of people say for the amount of money you can make an H22 just as capable which is true but my opinion is that with new tech that comes out with these motors eventually the old OBD1 motors of the past will be just that...the past.

The only thing you'll probably sacrifice would be creature comforts such as a/c and cruise control.

There is one car (92-93 Coupe) that was able to retain the factory a/c system but it was obvious that everything was custom made.

Other than that...hopefully this helps and good luck.
                          Henry R
                          Koni/Neuspeed
                          1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                          1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
                          Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
                          made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

definitely gonna cost

Comment

Of course it is but if you find deals you'll never know. Ks are becoming more common in yards now and they're the new swaps on the block.
                              Henry R
                              Koni/Neuspeed
                              1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                              1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
                              Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
                              made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Working...
                              X