Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

CB9 Electrical problem with doors, thinks all doors open all the time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CB9 Electrical problem with doors, thinks all doors open all the time.

I've got a pretty nice 1993 CB9, manual transmission with a straight no-rust body, it's still rocking all it's OEM parts or at least OEM style and has no modifications, even the original radio is there. Since the day I got it about two years ago, it's told me the driver's door, both rear passenger doors, and the liftgate are open. The front passenger door is always shown closed (I suspect the dashboard light is burnt out for that door). The dome light doesn't come on at all, and the door chime never sounds. This is probably a good thing, they'd quickly become annoying while tooling down the road.

This car leaked everything when I got it, it leaked so much from so many places I couldn't even tell where all the leaks where, but when I fixed the leak at the distributor (which was soaking down the engine wire harness), the door behavior began to change.

The behavior change also started when it was really cold out, ambient temperatures below freezing would often see the door indicator lights working correctly upon starting the car. This would last for a little while, with the indicator lights slowly brightening up. During that time, the door indicator lights would correctly indicate a door was open or closed (except that passenger front door, it's always indicated closed). Even the lift-gate indicator would work properly. To date, this change in behavior has become more common. Sometimes even happening in warm weather up to 70 degrees, but the lights will always come one within 10 minutes or so.

I've gone through all the regular door switches, they all operate normally and test fine with a continuity tester. I don't know how the lift-back switch works exactly, but I've fiddled with it as well. Disconnecting it does nothing to change behavior. The only behavior change I've been able to elicit consistently is with temperature. The lights are just more likely to work properly when it's really cold out, and slowly come back to the failure mode with vehicle operation.

I can do just about anything mechanically, I've already torn this poor car's engine all apart in a quest to fix oil leaks, a head gasket failure, coolant leaks, a timing belt and waterpump change. I'm not super smart about electrical, but I can read simple electrical diagrams and identify components pretty well. My thought was that there was likely a bad diode somewhere, as a proper diode allows current one way but not the other (backfeeding), and I thought a diode would be more likely to function properly when cold, and fail when hot, and I thought maybe just maybe something was backfeeding the door switch circuit grounds, thus causing the lights to illuminate. So if anyone knows anything that uses a common ground with the door light circuits, that would be a likely candidate for further investigation.

I'm also will to take a totally different approach. Like I said, I'm not really great with electrical. I know some theory, but combined with little practical knowledge I think I'm more likely to do something stupid.

I'll bite at this. First grab your manual with wiring diagrams, you'll need it. Taking the simple example first (the dome light, which doesn't have a light in the dash which could be burnt out) we need to check the following:

- Fuse #22 in underhood fuse box
    - And it's ground which is located under the passenger seat.

Actually all of the door indicator lights go to Fuse #22, so let's check that first. Judging by your explanation this is going to most likely be a ground wire that is almost ready to break off. When it's cold and stiff it has a connections and as the car warms up or hot days it bends and flexes and l loses connection.

I'm guessing your door courtesy lights do not work as well?

Comment

My wagon does it as well. The problem is likely corrosion on the gage cluster printed circuit board; I've been through several. Only real remedy is to find a non-corroded board. You'll have to find one from a 5 speed wagon (wagon is different than sedan/coupe, 5 speed is different than auto). http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=202388

Search "gage cluster corrosion" and you'll come up with about 10 threads dealing with it in one form or another.
      Last edited by Fleetw00d; 04-11-2017, 11:05 PM.
      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Hopefully I can just pull the door display piece from another car. Manual transmission CB9 clusters are in short supply.

Comment

Unfortunately, I think the lights are actually on the printed circuit board.
          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

I did a bunch of underhood scrubbing yesterday in attempt to chase down yet another leak, and today the door indicator played nice almost all the way to work. It's not really cold out anymore, so this is new behavior.

I used a lot of Simple Green and concentrated my work around the power steering pump and hoses, replacing a few hoses while I was at it. Then attacked the underside of the hood itself, which rained down on the rest of everything.

This is the second time the indicator light behavior has changed after dicking around under the hood. Might still be the board though, haven't gone in after it yet.

I found this wiring diagram in the technical section. There are a lot of diodes showing right at the lights themselves. I'm guessing those will be on the board...so back to board corrosion. I betcha I can test the board out using this diagram though, and maybe I'll get lucky enough to be able to repair it if so. I did repair a TCM from a 91 CB7 once before. It had a couple burnt resistors and a blown capacitor after I ignored a failing VSS for too long.

Last edited by trouser chili; 04-24-2017, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Is your brake lamp light coming on as well?

Comment

When I scrub the underside of the hood, I place a tarp or plastic over the engine compartment.

Comment

The brake warning light operates normally. I only ever see it on when I have the parking brake set and when it does the lamp test before starting. The low fuel warning lamp never illuminates, not even during lamp test...or when I'm out fuel. The ODO/TRIP-ODO also recently quit.

This is pretty much what it always looks like. The brake lamp is illuminated because the parking brake is set. Oh and it's overheating because I took this the day the head gasket finally let go.

I found this board in my parts stash, it's from a manual transmission CB7 coupe. I take it this is a good example of board corrosion?

Last edited by trouser chili; 05-08-2017, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Yes. I've seen worse.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, do you have an alarm system?
                      Project wagon! Much excite! 2018!

That Sedan. Purchased '07-->Swap'd-->Tuck'd-->Wreck'd-->May '16

Comment

Originally posted by LadyG View Post
                        Just out of curiosity, do you have an alarm system?
                        I haven't found any evidence of one. I believe the car has been kept in an entirely stock configuration. As superfluous components failed it appears the solution was simply to ignore the failure. What maintenance it did receive appears to be amateurish at best. For example, a 10mm lower timing cover bolt was left in the timing belt tensioner lock hole. This meant that the tensioner couldn't do its job correctly, additionally the missing bolt for the cover was never replaced, this allowed the main pulley to eat a hole in the timing cover because it wasn't securely fastened to the block. LOL.

Comment

Working...
                        X