Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

Clicking boost solenoid & running lean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clicking boost solenoid & running lean

Looking for some help here as I am officially lost.

H22A
    S300 V2
    3bar map sensor

All was running just fine. I did a fuse box extension to move the fuse box to the rear and car ran fine. Stalled once or twice at a stop sign which was new but from my knowledge this is not related to the work I did. This seemed like a dirty IACV issue. Noticed when it did this stalling thing it was running really lean, 17 A/F ratio for a second or two.

Took it home and cleaned out the IACV. Right after doing this the boost solenoid clicks really loud and fast as soon as I turn the key to ACC. The last time this happened I had the map sensor unplugged. Checked all the wires around the IACV area, all were plugged in and into the proper spots.

Tested the map sensor, it tests fine. Put the fuse box back in its original location with default ground, same issue.

So now I have the car running lean with black smoke slowely rising from the exhaust, have left over fuel in the cylinders, and it will not start.

.....and i'm not sure why.

Any help is appreciated. I think as soon as I determine why the boost solenoid is on/off really fast i'll have the problem solved.
    Last edited by Raf99; 09-04-2016, 08:15 PM.

17:1 AFR is lean.

something is telling to dump fuel, thus excessive smoke and a no start. pull up s300 and look through parameters and see if anything looks off.
    COUPE K24

Comment

Originally posted by '93CB7Ex View Post
      17:1 AFR is lean.

something is telling to dump fuel, thus excessive smoke and a no start. pull up s300 and look through parameters and see if anything looks off.
      Will do man. Maybe S300 can tell me something too.

Comment

I guess if one had no spark they would have this problem. But going with the clicking of the boost solenoid issue first (with key ACC) i did figure out the ground wire on the map sensor is only getting 6.6V. So I re-did the fuse box ground and the fuse box is back in the OEM spot and still 6.6V.

So...... have to figure out why i'm not getting 12V ground off the map sensor.

Comment

Does anyone know why a map sensor would show 6.6V on ground and not 12V?

Comment

Why would a MAP have voltage on a ground? That sounds weird...normally it's grounded through the sensor ground in the ECU and then from there it's connected to the chassis ground.

Also, the Honda ECU sends 5v to the MAP... 12v - 5v = 6 volts? If that were the case, are you using the 5v wire for your meter negative?

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
              Why would a MAP have voltage on a ground? That sounds weird...normally it's grounded through the sensor ground in the ECU and then from there it's connected to the chassis ground.

Also, the Honda ECU sends 5v to the MAP... 12v - 5v = 6 volts? If that were the case, are you using the 5v wire for your meter negative?
              i was thinking this today too. so i'm going to re-do the test from this page:
              http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...ics-Code-3-MAP

What i really need to know is the relationship between the boost solenoid and the MAP sensor. So far everything points to the map sensor not working:

Comment

What did you figure out the last time your boost solenoid did that? My memory is all over the place.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

What did you figure out the last time your boost solenoid did that? My memory is all over the place.
                  Map sensor plug was unplugged on the throttle body.

While I had this plug unplugged to clean the IACV i've tripple checked it and all seems fine. So this weekend I'm going to take the IACV off again and re-do what I did. *shrugs*. Not sure what else to do. No point in even trying to start the car until i figure out what the relationship is here that is causing this problem.

Comment

MAP = manifold absolute pressure

boost solenoid is for bleeding off air on your vacation line to your waste gate to create more boost. basically, a controlled leak.

you have a fault in your circuit somewhere. check before and after connections on everything you just worked on with an ohm meter and looks for any indication of a problem.

6v on ground is a problem.

my guess, 5v to map sensor is shorting out to ground somehow that is showing 6v.

no 6v on chassis ground confirms my theory. isolate the 6v ground issue if you cannot identify the problem with a multimeter. my bet is that your resistance(indication of bad ground) is all over the place on something you just worked on. car will not run with a bad reading on map circuit
                    Originally posted by wed3k
                    im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Originally posted by toycar View Post
                      MAP = manifold absolute pressure

boost solenoid is for bleeding off air on your vacation line to your waste gate to create more boost. basically, a controlled leak.

you have a fault in your circuit somewhere. check before and after connections on everything you just worked on with an ohm meter and looks for any indication of a problem.

6v on ground is a problem.

my guess, 5v to map sensor is shorting out to ground somehow that is showing 6v.

no 6v on chassis ground confirms my theory. isolate the 6v ground issue if you cannot identify the problem with a multimeter. my bet is that your resistance(indication of bad ground) is all over the place on something you just worked on. car will not run with a bad reading on map circuit
                      I agree, i'll chase that down. I was also sticking needles through the wire to tap into the ground. Maybe that was my issues, I'll redo this whole test.

As posted in my ride page, i did the following the other day:

- Cut and soldered the ground wire which comes from the fuse box / which is also the ECU ground. Gave it a good ground.
                      - Took the IACV off again and re-checked the connectors, wires, and such
                      - Jacked the car up and checked all other wires and connections
                      - Checked each spark plug for fire = good

Still the same sound with the key on ACC, which is this sound:

Even dipped into S300 and did some data logging. I turned off boost control which put a stop to the buzzing, but the car will still not start. It will for 1 second but a low idle. Right now i'm trying to determine if the MAP sensor should read what I'm seeing. ya....... all greek to me....

The shit storm..

Map = 30.2 ?

May have to let the professionals solve this one as I have no Friggin idea why the boost solenoid is making that sound or why the car will not start.

Comment

Have you checked your TPS? I've read a few places that the TPS could cause this.
                        Originally posted by Mishakol129
                        Do not disrespect my intelligence. I am the smartest person I know : )

Comment

FACK YA!!! No better feeling then fixing a 2 week old problem!! woooohooo!

So happy

OK, so all i had to go on was that the ground on the map sensor was not correct. So let's trace is back.

Pulled the map sensor inside the cabin and pulled the tape and plastic liner off to reveal this!?! ....... WTF, who's doing is this. What a mess. No wonder I can't find proper wires and .... ug. (i'm thinking this was a job I did long ago before I learned to solder )

So 0V when using the connector's ground and power wire..

But 4.7V using the wire down the line where this crimp connector is. (this is why you never use crimp connectors!!)

Let's fix em all.

Yep All better

As soon as I loaded the smanager config back that has boost control enabled & the solenoid didn't make a noise, I knew i had it!! Let's start the car

(pretty much audio only here, i forgot to bring up the graph on Smanager)

On another topic you see the wires cut in the first picture. These went to the ERG and two to the ESD. This makes me wonder if I even need the ESD in my setup (I have no EGR, etc.)

Comment

Ha! It's always the simple stuff. As usual, good troubleshooting. What the heck is an ESD? I'm drawing a complete blank.

Your solder job looks good too. It should considering all the practice you got.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Ha! It's always the simple stuff. As usual, good troubleshooting. What the heck is an ESD? I'm drawing a complete blank.

Your solder job looks good too. It should considering all the practice you got.
                              Sorry I meant to say ELD. Electronic load detector.

Comment

Working...
                              X