Anatomy of an aftermarket projector headlight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anatomy of an aftermarket projector headlight

Hey guys, I've been seeing an increasing number of people asking about the projector headlights that I have on my car. Since I have one disassembled, I decided to take some pics of what it looks like. Note that the housing is primered, because this headlight was replaced (truck backed into my headlight).

Here's the headlight assembled:

Here's what the headlight looks like disassembled:

Here's a shot of the housing. Note that there's a recessed area similar to what a projector (proper) would look like:

And here's the back, showing the protrusion for more space:

Here's what it looks like assembled:

As you can see, a real projector assembly is far superior, but having this housing is pretty decent, as it will HOPEFULLY allow a proper retrofit with minimal modifications.

I honestly like these headlights. It's a step beyond the cheap 1 piece plastic projectors that are all over ebay. Plus, they show promise for future retrofitting.

If I can get a hold of some TSX projectors for a reasonable price, I'll be doing the swap, and will follow up with more images, and maybe a DIY if I see a need for it.

I plan to do the same with mine one day, TSX FTW
    wat?

Comment

nice write up. Always been the big hassle of reto'ing, making room and having it sealed. Has anyone on the site retro'd these to see if you have to hack the back up or can keep it sealed as it is "stock"
      ____

Comment

As far as I know, nobody has done it yet. I will be as soon as I get some better projectors.

Comment

Be awesome to know. I kinda like the look of the other e-horrible ones though...but this would make for a much easier convert if you don't have to do any hacking...or much less hacking than with the OEM or the other style ebay projectors.
          ____

Comment

damn yea this would be good to look forward to just swapping in some nice TSX projectors in there!

Lou's Build Thread!
            http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=181377
            "G-Squares Are For Assholes"~PR_CB7

Comment

any progress on this?

Comment

Glad I checked this thread since I have the same headlights. I need to open them up and clean my lenses though.

1992 Honda Accord Coupe LX

Comment

Not yet. Might be getting some projectors this weekend, though. Found some at the pick n pull, not TSX though.

Comment

I have some BMW projectors (older mid 90s) to try out. Also has a slight bowl surrounding. I'll wait to get a hold of some TSX projectors before I start cutting.

Comment

Any progress? I'm looking at this and thinking this could easily make the whole process just a bit easier....depending on the size of the replacement projector, you could just hack off the back of the "projector recession" on that housing and slide an actual projector housing in...sealing after testing and lining everything up. I might grab a set on the cheap on ebay depending.

:EDIT:
                      In fact, now that I look at the picture and look at the projector housings I have, you might not even have to cut...the back of those housings are essentially the back half of a projector housing, which most are two pieces...unscrew the front part with the cutoffs and lenses and bolt it to the healight housing...man, If it were that easy I'd be crazy excited lol.
                      Last edited by darkfusion42; 02-03-2010, 06:54 PM.

Bought from: TypeG,mak,CB7_ACCORD,ChampCoupe,Blackex
                      Traded with: Cb7xChun
                      Sold to: Rob_is_legend,DaddyO,daheavyking
                      Sedan MR Thread Coupe MR Thread Prelude Si MR Thread
                      My huge For Sale Thread

Comment

So my question is this: Are we supposed to use HID's with Projectors or is that optional. I would like to know I just may retrofit mine so that its right.
                        The CB7 Collector.
                        Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
                        92 LX Coupe F22A1
                        2013 Toyota Corolla S
                        92 EX Sedan F22A1
                        Originally posted by deevergote
                        Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

Originally posted by HappyGilmoreX View Post
                          So my question is this: Are we supposed to use HID's with Projectors or is that optional. I would like to know I just may retrofit mine so that its right.
                          you dont HAVE to. but you should.
                          the output would be terrible with regular halogens

Comment

Originally posted by 92jdm View Post
                            you dont HAVE to. but you should.
                            the output would be terrible with regular halogens
                            I have 8000k so Stock housing vs Projectors, Projectors are better.

And I am sorry if I asked a noob question. I am just trying to do whats best for my car no less I am still learning alot too
                            The CB7 Collector.
                            Team Kindred Impulse Member #3
                            92 LX Coupe F22A1
                            2013 Toyota Corolla S
                            92 EX Sedan F22A1
                            Originally posted by deevergote
                            Do you really need to make a thread asking if having your car like this /---\ will cause uneven tire wear? Try walking like that for a few weeks and see if your shoes wear funny! (hint: they will.)

Comment

Originally posted by HappyGilmoreX View Post
                              I have 8000k so Stock housing vs Projectors, Projectors are better.

And I am sorry if I asked a noob question. I am just trying to do whats best for my car no less I am still learning alot too
                              yes. in our stock housing HIDs have alot of glare.
                              idk how to put it, but projectors will direct the output much better. without blinding oncoming traffic.

Comment

Working...
                              X