HIDs flicker problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HIDs flicker problem

ok i searched and tried fixing it myself but im not having any luck.

i have a 35w HID installed and it flickers a little when theyre warmed up. i checked all grounds and connections and they all seem fine. i even just installed a relay harness on the HID so the power comes directly from the battery. but it still flickers. so im out of ideas on what it could be. and these are the same HIDs i ran on my LX and they didnt flicker (without a relay harness also).

any ideas? or anybody had this problem? how can i fix this.

also. when i hit my highbeams i could hear a beat from my sub in the trunk. wtf...

have you tried using a different newer bulb?? mines did something similiar to this when they were starting to go out

Lou's Build Thread!
    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=181377
    "G-Squares Are For Assholes"~PR_CB7

Comment

Originally posted by PRLiTo9MM View Post
      have you tried using a different newer bulb?? mines did something similiar to this when they were starting to go out
      yea. ive already tried 2 new HID kits. both flickered.

Comment

Originally posted by [sLow]CB View Post
        ok i searched and tried fixing it myself but im not having any luck.

i have a 35w HID installed and it flickers a little when theyre warmed up. i checked all grounds and connections and they all seem fine. i even just installed a relay harness on the HID so the power comes directly from the battery. but it still flickers. so im out of ideas on what it could be. and these are the same HIDs i ran on my LX and they didnt flicker (without a relay harness also).

any ideas? or anybody had this problem? how can i fix this.

also. when i hit my highbeams i could hear a beat from my sub in the trunk. wtf...
        No relay? If that's the case, then that's your problem. The relay is there to send constant power. If they're flickering it's most likely inconsistent power due to low battery or failing alternator. Other than that it's beyond me. Good luck.

Form.Follows.Function

Comment

Originally posted by CBsevenTUNER View Post
          No relay? If that's the case, then that's your problem. The relay is there to send constant power. If they're flickering it's most likely inconsistent power due to low battery or failing alternator. Other than that it's beyond me. Good luck.
          Correct. You need a relay kit. You can order one prefabbed, or make your own.
          My pictures/photos will return soon...

Comment

lol you guys both missed where he said he has a relay?

Comment

a relay causing hid to flicker? really

if connected striaght to battery voltage, it shouldnt flicker

did u check your battery voltage?
              did you do this with the car on?
              how many grounds are in your engine bay
              Originally posted by deevergote
              Just do what PR CB7 said.

"I'm Going For Wood" (Clickey Clickey)

Comment

Originally posted by F22HB View Post
                lol you guys both missed where he said he has a relay?
                Sigh. Woops!

Check your grounds, and check for inconsistencies with wiring gauge. How is your relay harness hooked up? Is it DIY or prefabbed? What's the amperage on your relay?
                My pictures/photos will return soon...

Comment

I feel ya bro, I have same problem, one light flickers slightly been doing it for month or 2 now. I also have installed a relay harness.

If its not the bulb or the ballast, then power source is the only remaining factor, unless its picking up interference?

UKDM 93 CB3 Page (1) H22A U2Q7 LSD
                  UKDM 91 4ws Page (3) OEM Minter
                  NOW H22A U2Q7 SWAPPED

Comment

I had this problem about a year ago, with my 55w kit on stock wires, just the right side would flicker. Thanks to my lazyness and the cold weather I didnt dick with it and it went away in a few months, a year later and still perfect
                    wat?

Comment

I had the same problem. its most likely a faulty ballast or bulb.

Rip It Up
                      Sold to: nightime25, MyDianaz06, Accord214 and 408cb7

Bought from:Rob_is_Legend, MonoCB7, Fatboy1185, Flatline and busak87

i vouch for my Brothas

Comment

the HID is brand new about month old. and the battery is new too, also a month old.

the relay kit is off ebay already made with a fuse. it came with 2 grounds. should i grond them by themself? or can i find other grounds nearby and put it there?

or maybe try a new HID kit again.

Comment

If it flickers the ballast is cheap and crappy. If you need new ballasts I sell full HID kits for 60$ shipped, Digital Ballasts too, you wont have any flicking, guaranteed. I just made a thread about the FS.

Comment

I have the same problem! It's not a severe flickering, but it's like a flicker that you can see at night on the road. For some reason, I think it's where the ballast plug hooks up to the car plug (aka where the bulb hooks up and pins meet). I think cutting the stock plug and just wiring them up can solve the problem, I'm just afraid to risk it.

Comment

Tutorial : How to install HID lights by DynoXG

http://www.chargerforums.com/forums/...ad.php?t=72978

Step 8:
                              You will need to add a capacitor to the relay harness (read Step 7 before buying, you may not need it). Its a 470µF 35V capacitor. You can find it at any RadioShack store for $1.29 each, their catalog # is 272-1030. I recommend you getting two just in case you plug it in backwards and it pops. Theirs is black, but I used a blue one. Note that one side of the capacitor has a stripe, this side is the negative (-) side. The side without the stripe is the positive (+) side. Here's a link to the item: Capacitor

Step 9:
                              Remove the relay from the harness by simply pulling it off, don't worry about orientation, it only goes in one way. Install the capacitor as shown in the picture. The stripe goes to the negative (-) pin. Member RAK_Charger_R/T let us know you can check this by checking the color of the wire on the harness. Black (-) and Red (+). Some will be backwards compared to my picture.

Re-install the relay like shown in the picture. I recommend wrapping the relay and capacitor with black electrical tape to keep it in place and prevent moisture and water from reaching it.

I did 2 capacitors each go to the ballast. I have for more than 6 years hth
                              Last edited by 94Si; 12-09-2010, 03:23 AM.
                              scion Tc
                              HONDA FIT

Comment

Working...
                              X