That dodge Demon tho

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post

Weight figures found at Wiki, however accurate that might be. MR2 had to have been modified for that power. R32 GT-Rs, in reality, made about 324ps (320hp) at the crank.

ITR 200ps /~2400lbs depending on year = 12 lbs/ps
    S14 K’s 220ps/2762lbs = 12.55 lbs/ps
    MR2 GT-S 245ps/2777lbs = 11.33 lbs/ps
    GC WRX 260ps/2734lbs = 10.51 lbs/ps
    R32 GT-R “280ps”; real 324ps/3153lbs = 9.73 lbs/ps

Clearly there's more to performance than just power-to-weight.
    I meant all else equal. Obviously power and weight aren't everything. If you have two cars with identical axle weights, identical suspension tuning, and identical kinematics, but one is FWD vs RWD, the RWD will have a larger area within the friction circle. If I believed a FWD car couldn't be faster than competitive RWD cars I wouldn't be doing what I'm doing with mine.
    '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

It's a very fast production car meant for straight line racing. It's a way for FCA to flex their muscles a bit, and they have big muscles! Anyone that buys this for actual competitive drag has a good base to start from. Once they gut the emissions stuff and lighten it up a bit I think it could go deeper in the 9's without even touching the engine.

I love the 18" rims and fat tires on the Demon.
      I love that it comes standard with only a driver's seat.

Just for reference, according to this article from KSTuned, it takes $74,172 to get 1200HP in a SFWD...and "only" runs mid 8's...and isn't street legal...and doesn't come with a warranty.
      https://www.kstuned.com/blogs/knowle...hp-cost-part-1

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

If someone buys it for competitive drag, they'll have to find a sanctioning body that will allow it!

Comment

I would also hope they actually install a cage too!

So more cool stuff...The Dodge guys pretty much admit that they know people will molest this car even more:

"I know that people are gonna go and put real slicks on it instead of the drag radials, and they're gonna do some of the other things they do in the tuning industry," Kuniskis told R&T. "And that's honestly why we upgraded the drivetrain as much as we did. The drivetrain is really upgraded, and the trans brake is actually set to go to 2350 rpm. On [factory] drag radials you're never gonna launch this car at 2350—you'll launch it below that, so you can spike the converter a little bit. But the guy who's gonna put real slicks on it probably will get up to the 2000-2300 range, so we wanted to give them that capability built in from day one," he told us.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
            Ultimately, unless you're a competitive racer, it's all about what puts a smile on your face.
            Pfff, this is the internet, dude. Opinions are fact, and bench racing translates directly to the real world.

Originally posted by domesticated View Post
            I meant all else equal. Obviously power and weight aren't everything. If you have two cars with identical axle weights, identical suspension tuning, and identical kinematics, but one is FWD vs RWD, the RWD will have a larger area within the friction circle. If I believed a FWD car couldn't be faster than competitive RWD cars I wouldn't be doing what I'm doing with mine.
            But that identical suspension tuning thing would never happen. You'd end up with either a FWD tuned for a RWD layout or vice versa, or some sloppy middle-ground, no? I don't consider optimizing for either drivetrain, to the same degree of performance on each one, is the same as identical tuning.

I'm not trying to argue anything, by the way, I hope you're not taking my comments that way; just conversation at this point.
            Last edited by CyborgGT; 04-23-2017, 09:32 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Seriously though. Drag slicks, less emission friendly exhaust and intake mods then caged and you can legally run 9's. Do you guys think that it could gain the 10 more mph in the trap speed that wound make a parachute needed with those minimal mods? After 150 mph you need one chute even if your car has more stopping power than a viper.

Maybe Chevy and ford will build equal competition and the fed will have to add quarter mile crash testing.
              I have been enamoured by this dodge demon.
              ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

Well, there is the 1000hp 2016 Mustang Cobra Jet that runs legal 8s... but it's not street legal.

The slower 2013 model:

Video description:

2013 Ford Mustang Super Cobra Jet - First Pass Off Showroom Floor !
                9.09 at 150 mph in 1/4 mile - Stock setup with factory 82 tune (WOT tune) - ZMax Dragstrip
                Car launched on footbrake and not using transbrake - Charlotte, NC 10-16-12
                Car made 729 rear wheel horsepower from the factory using the 82 tune from Ford
                Best pass to date in factory trim was 8.98 at 152 mph - Budds Creek, MD (MIR)
                Car ran 8.83 at 155 mph with Johnny Lightning tune and pulley change - Budds Creek, MD 11/30/14
                Car made 784 rear wheel horsepower with JL tune and pulley change
                Dodge probably left the cage out of the Demon to keep it street legal. It's the one thing the car's got over the Cobra Jet.
                Last edited by CyborgGT; 04-23-2017, 09:50 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Dealership: "We offered every purchaser the option of limiting the car to the maximum legal speed limit. So far we have no takers ".

(joke)...

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post

Dodge probably left the cage out of the Demon to keep it street legal. It's the one thing the car's got over the Cobra Jet.
                    They left the cage out of the car because it was too expensive to re cert the impact testing. It's also not safe to drive a caged car without a helmet, so selling a street car with a cage is down right dangerous. Not everybody who buys one is not going to take it to the drag strip.

Also, don't compare a Cobra Jet to a Demon, compare it to a Drag Pak which has been running 8s for years. Being street legal isn't the only difference. The Demon is a real car with HVAC, entertainment, comfortable seats, and other street car stuff. The Cobra Jet and Drag Pak are straight up race cars.
                    '93 H22A 5SPD SE - MRT - DIY-Turbo Sizing

Comment

Honestly, the Demon is quite possibly an indication that cars have finally reached street limits. The simple fact that you could never take that car to a "street night" at a drag strip (at least not for more than one pass, if they let you in at all) means it has basically exceeded the limits of what a street car "should" do. It's too fast to run on a drag strip without a cage. A cage would make it unsafe for use on the street. Using that power on public roads, at least where I live, would be difficult... and you'd far exceed the legal speed limit in the blink of an eye. This car goes to eleven, simply to go to eleven. And that's why people will buy it.

Imagine if someone told you 20, 15, hell, even 10 years ago that a sub-$100,000 car (even in the valuation of those days) would get you 850hp, sub-10-second quarter mile passes, and still retain everything necessary to make it a viable street car with no significant compromises. You'd laugh. That sort of thing was limited to supercars, and most of those probably didn't even go that fast!

The Demon is not for everybody. If I had $85,000 or so to spend on a car, I don't know that it would be at the top of my list. I might drive one just to see... but there are other cars that appeal to me more, despite being slower and less powerful. But whether it's your taste or not, there is absolutely no denying that it is a milestone in showroom stock performance vehicles. The Hellcat was as well.
                      I wonder if Dodge is going to be the first to release an "affordable" 1,000hp car. I bet it'll happen.

Comment

What I find hilarious is that in the 60s Mopar cried a storm about Ford's SOHC 427 to the point that was only allowed to race in NASCAR with sacks of sand in the trunk to make it "competitive" with the hemis, Ford declined and was ultimately banned from NASCAR and NHRA after successfully dominating for over a year. Fast forward to 2017 and Dodge gets their stuffed banned before it even hits LMAO.
                        [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Just to be clear, you can run it at the strip. You just can't run 9's. You can run it with a passenger if you stay in the 13's I believe. The funny thing is and I may be wrong but I gotta believe it's safer than ALL the caged fox bodies/ect at any speed.
                          ......father in law has it back again. Time to shine

Comment

My 4000hp CTS-V is knocking on 12's door. You would have to launch a Demon in 4th to keep from breaking out of the 13s!
                            I bet most tracks will turn an uncaged Demon away on sight. They're automatic, and they come with drag radials from the factory. Even if you do something stupid, you'd still probably pull an 11.0. Unless things have changed, anything under 12 at my track requires a cage, I believe.

Comment

I have to say that what surprised me about the re-release of a Dodge Demon was that it was not based on a Dart like the original Demon, but then again the performance potential was higher in the non compact vehicle and they already had used names from 3 previous different platforms to offer different models based on the Chrysler 300.
                              [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

I wasn't even aware of the old Demon! Actually, now that you mention it, vaguely...
                                I think this is more than fitting, though. Although I am a bit sad that we never saw a Dart SRT-4.

Comment

Working...
                                X