Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Which 5th gear should I use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which 5th gear should I use?

I've have a blue-top H23A VTEC and i'm doing a transmission build. Here are my ratios

0.812 OR 0.87x

(truncated after 5 decimal places, cause i only know the absolute values for 2nd and 3rd gears, and only approximate values for the others)
    1st -> 2nd = 0.63650
    2nd -> 3rd = 0.70853
    3rd -> 4th = 0.72316
    4th -> 5th = 0.75816
    OR
    4th -> 5th = 0.81325

I like the shorter 5th, but I don't like the 2nd order change in the decrease in gear reductions in upshifting. I can do a linear regression and plot the curve if need. But it'll be ugly with the .871

I wish there was a 1.12 4th gear. Mfactory has a badass 1.1000 4th gear, but it's their 'pro-series' and it's not helical. How funny would it be to have a straight cut spur gear for ONLY 4th gear lol

mmmmmm--mmmmm-mmmmm-WHEEHEHEHEHEHHEE-mmmmmm

And no, I'm not using a 0.685 5th so don't even bother suggesting that. It's too 'tall' on the hilly highways here. I wind up bumping up cruise control and not paying attention cause I wind up decelerating while going up hills. And then I wind up forgetting that I'd hit the accel button a few times and when I get on level ground, cruise control has me going 87 in a 70mph.

That state trooper was not amused when I responded to his inquiry of "so why were you speeding" with "Sorry I didn't realize how high of latency the cruise control system on this car was until I realized I was speeding just now. DESPITE having my multidomain control systems textbook in the passenger seat.
    Some know me as the "Tranny Guy"

What are your goals? It sounds like you're building a street car. What is your driving style? How often will you use 5th and what will you be doing in 5th?

It's easy to build by the numbers, but real world application is where it matters.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Working...
    X