Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Raspberry Pi questions (Zero and 3, specifically.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Raspberry Pi questions (Zero and 3, specifically.)

I have a Raspberry Pi 2, and I absolutely love it. I've been running RetroPie, and playing the hell out of all my favorite old video games.

I know that there are a few Raspberry Pi users here.
    I have two questions:

1) How much better is the Pi3? Has anyone used it yet? I'm considering an upgrade, because I'd love to play N64 and Dreamcast games... which are pretty laggy on the 2. I know they were pretty restricted with their update, since they wanted to retain 100% backward compatibility. Would it be worth it to upgrade?

2) The more important question... can the Pi Zero play PSX games? It's very similar in performance to the original Raspberry Pi, from what I can tell. I'm thinking of getting one for my best friend for Christmas (since it's within our general spending limit.) The Pi Zero with a budget starter kit and a cool case would come to just over $40, which would be ideal. Ideally, it would be able to play PSX games, which would cover 90% of the stuff we were into as youngins.

1. Yes, huge upgrade.
    2. No, I don't think so.
    sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

Nuts.

Comment

Put it this way:

N64 emulation is only a bit harder than ps1,

If your pi2 can't do it then the zero definetly can't.

Also, if you haven't you should over clock your pi2.

I run a 3 for my main media centre and I use an original pi for my bedroom upnp client for my main, the pi3 is amazing, but the original just can't quite do it.

The zero will do snes and nes, and arcade, but 3d is too much of an ask.
        sold! But here's my build thread for those interested.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=206864

Comment

Pi Zero - Single Core 1ghz, 512MB of ram - Completely minimalistic approach to Raspberry, great for IoT projects that can't be done with an Arduino, and don't require networking, otherwise for accessories and items to get up and running (in most cases) would be better to just get a Pi 3. It is possible to turn the Pi Zero into an "Ethernet Gadget" which can share the internet of regular computer, so if you really wanted to play around with Linux / Raspberry, all you need is the Pi0 itself, and a USB Cable. I plan on building a "Cluster" of Eight Pi0's shortly, with a setup cost of pretty close to $10 per Pi. ($5 for the Pi, $4 for the 8GB SD Card, and a $1 for standoffs + usb cables + usb splitters/hubs. So a $80 "Super Computer" that I can play around with "Big Data" and Hadoop (as an example) on a budget. However as for your original question, I would consider it comparable to the original Raspberry 1 with 512MB of RAM in performance.

Pi 3 - Quad Core 1.2ghz, 1Gb of ram - Biggest reasons to go for this version is the built in networking, LAN, Wifi, and Bluetooth, so you can easily pair a Bluetooth Controller (e.g. Wii, Xbox, Playstation) for those who'd use it for light-weight or emulation based gaming, or other input devices.
          Last edited by cloudasc; 10-22-2016, 05:18 PM.
          PT3/6 Development Thread | My 1991 LX Coupe | DIY: 90-93 Tcu Fix

Comment

Working...
          X