Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

New to audio systems, which amplifier should i use?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aliv2794 View Post
    oh yeah i forgot to ask but how to i parallel my 2 12"'s together?

there ya go, for each parallel you divide the ohm load. (ex 2x 4ohm speakers, 4/2=2ohm load) for series you add them together (ex 2 4ohm speakers, 4+4=8ohm load)

the main point is matching rms wattage, 700 rms watts, is what the amp is rated to do all day every minute. so you shouldnt have any problems powering the 2 350watt rms speakers. the amp will work fine

for a wiring kit, 700 watts you will want to run 6 gauge minimum power wire. i recommend 4 gauge which is good up past 1000 watts, so it'll leave you room to upgrade in the future.

for speaker wire,i recommend 12-16gauge with a good jacket on it.

knukonceptz amp kit is probably the best value for your dollar on amp install kits... the wire is on par with rockford and other high end cables and doesnt carry the rockford namebrand price
    Last edited by Hopeless; 07-20-2011, 11:09 PM.

Comment

hopeless, I just wanted to let you know that youre amazing! and thank you.

Comment

well a Sony XM-ZR704 is more than enough for ur speakers. and if u wanna go with sony, a Sony XM-ZZR3301 should do it but if u want a setup that bangs a MB Quart ONX1.1000D is perfect.

Comment

Heres an amp kit if you need one....http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...hn-AKIT4J.html
          My 90 coupe Mr thread....
          http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=178452

Comment

Originally posted by SPLCB7 View Post
            Heres an amp kit if you need one....http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...hn-AKIT4J.html
            doesnt look like a bad option. only prob i see is that the cable is only rated for 100A. the knukonceptz 4ga is rated for up to 150A, and the speaker wire and RCAs you get from knukonceptz are bigger gauge and have a thicker jacket.

worth the 12$ extra imo

Comment

for the rattling i used the following sticky pads under my licence plate:

http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...ing-Squares-1/

my license plate doesn't rattle at all. for the rest of it, usually what rattles is the rear deck, especially the center brake light, and speaker boxes or mounts, whatever they are called. what i did was put cushion between all of that, i used this foam type stuff i found laying around my house. most people recommend dynomat, but it doesn't work for everyone, and it might be expensive depending on how much you need. it just really depends on your car.

Comment

That's just the fuse size too. I'd be more concerned about the wire being true to the gauge. Knu wire is a bit oversized. The finer strands make it look bigger than what it is too. The jacket is nice and flexible. With that being said, I've only had a small piece of knu wire before I changed out to something bigger and it was great.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by sonikaccord View Post
                  That's just the fuse size too. I'd be more concerned about the wire being true to the gauge. Knu wire is a bit oversized. The finer strands make it look bigger than what it is too. The jacket is nice and flexible. With that being said, I've only had a small piece of knu wire before I changed out to something bigger and it was great.

wish i still had the pictures i took a couple years ago. I put up the 4ga knukonceptz cable that i ran on my last 2 systems up next to the rockford wire that costs 30-40% more, and up against the mid line planet audio kits they sell for 40$ at my buddy's shop, and the difference between the knu /rockford cable and the planet audio cable is pretty big. I'm imagining just from looking at the pics that the planet audio cable is about the same as the audiobahn cable.

its worked very well for all the systems i've had, as well as friends that have used it on my recommendation.

Comment

Keep in mind that length is a factor here as well.* If you're doing a long run (>20 feet), you should use one size larger.* It doesn't hurt to use a wire size that's larger than necessary, but it will usually cost more and can be more difficult to install.

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Power Wire:</span>

10 gauge: ~35 amperes
                    Class D (~70% efficiency) - <350 watts
                    Class A/B (~50% efficiency) - <250 watts

8 gauge: ~55 amperes
                    Class D (~70% efficiency) - <550 watts
                    Class A/B (~50% efficiency) - <400 watts

6 gauge: ~87 amperes
                    Class D (~70% efficiency) - <875 watts
                    Class A/B (~50% efficiency) - <625 watts

4 gauge: ~140 amperes
                    Class D (~70% efficiency) - <1400 watts
                    Class A/B (~50% efficiency) - <1000 watts

2 gauge: ~220 amperes
                    Class D (~70% efficiency) - <2200 watts
                    Class A/B (~50% efficiency) - <1500 watts

1/0 gauge: ~350 amperes
                    Class D (~70% efficiency) - <3500 watts
                    Class A/B (~50% efficiency) - <2500 watts

2/0 gauge: ~440 amperes
                    Class D (~70% efficiency) - <4400 watts
                    Class A/B (~50% efficiency) - <3000 watts

4/0 gauge: ~700 amperes
                    Class D (~70% efficiency) - <7000 watts
                    Class A/B (~50% efficiency) - <5000 watts

<span style='font-size:12pt;line-height:100%'>Speaker wire:</span>

22 gauge: ~2.2 amperes
                    8 ohms - <36 watts
                    6 ohms - <27 watts
                    4 ohms - <18 watts
                    3 ohms - <13.5 watts
                    2 ohms - <9 watts
                    1 ohm - <4.5 watts

20 gauge: ~3.4 amperes
                    8 ohms - <96 watts
                    6 ohms - <72 watts
                    4 ohms - <48 watts
                    3 ohms - <36 watts
                    2 ohms - <24 watts
                    1 ohm - <12 watts

18 gauge: ~5.5 amperes
                    8 ohms - <240 watts
                    6 ohms - <180 watts
                    4 ohms - <120 watts
                    3 ohms - <90 watts
                    2 ohms - <60 watts
                    1 ohm - <30 watts

16 gauge: ~8.7 amperes
                    8 ohms - <600 watts
                    6 ohms - <450 watts
                    4 ohms - <300 watts
                    3 ohms - <225 watts
                    2 ohms - <150 watts
                    1 ohm - <75 watts

14 gauge: ~13.7 amperes
                    8 ohms - <1500 watts
                    6 ohms - <1125 watts
                    4 ohms - <750 watts
                    3 ohms - <563 watts
                    2 ohms - <375 watts
                    1 ohm - <188 watts

12 gauge: ~21.8 amperes
                    8 ohms - <3800 watts
                    6 ohms - <2850 watts
                    4 ohms - <1900 watts
                    3 ohms - <1425 watts
                    2 ohms - <950 watts
                    1 ohm - <475 watts

10 gauge: ~34.6 amperes
                    8 ohms - <9600 watts
                    6 ohms - <7200 watts
                    4 ohms - <4800 watts
                    3 ohms - <3600 watts
                    2 ohms - <2400 watts
                    1 ohm - <1200 watts

8 gauge: ~55 amperes
                    8 ohms - <24000 watts
                    6 ohms - <18000 watts
                    4 ohms - <12000 watts
                    3 ohms - <9000 watts
                    2 ohms - <6000 watts
                    1 ohm - <3000 watts

<span style='font-size:27pt;line-height:100%'>Maximum Fuse Size </span>

00 awg* 400 amps
                    0 awg* 325 amps
                    1 awg* 250 amps
                    2 awg* 200 amps
                    4 awg* 125 amps
                    6 awg* 80 amps
                    8 awg* 50 amps
                    10 awg* 30 amps
                    12 awg* 20 amps
                    14 awg* 15 amps
                    16 awg* 7.5 amps

These are the recommended maximum fuse ratings for the corresponding wire size. Using a smaller fuse than what's recommended here will be perfectly safe.

Hope this makes Since....
                    ^^^^this is off of smd so i dont take any credit for it i just thought it would help your disscussion.....

Comment

Keep in mind that length is a factor here as well.* If you're doing a long run (>20 feet), you should use one size larger.* It doesn't hurt to use a wire size that's larger than necessary, but it will usually cost more and can be more difficult to install.

16 gauge: ~8.7 amperes
                      8 ohms - <600 watts
                      6 ohms - <450 watts
                      4 ohms - <300 watts
                      3 ohms - <225 watts
                      2 ohms - <150 watts
                      1 ohm - <75 watts

12 gauge: ~21.8 amperes
                      8 ohms - <3800 watts
                      6 ohms - <2850 watts
                      4 ohms - <1900 watts
                      3 ohms - <1425 watts
                      2 ohms - <950 watts
                      1 ohm - <475 watts

00 awg* 400 amps
                      0 awg* 325 amps
                      1 awg* 250 amps
                      2 awg* 200 amps
                      4 awg* 125 amps
                      6 awg* 80 amps
                      8 awg* 50 amps
                      10 awg* 30 amps
                      12 awg* 20 amps
                      14 awg* 15 amps
                      16 awg* 7.5 amps

These are the recommended maximum fuse ratings for the corresponding wire size. Using a smaller fuse than what's recommended here will be perfectly safe.

Hope this makes Since....
                      ^^^^this is off of smd so i dont take any credit for it i just thought it would help your disscussion.....
                      That's a pretty good general guide to wire sizing. Definitly a great general reference.

As far as length, I'm not sure why you would want to run more than 20ft of cable. I havnt done a run in the accord yet because the car already has cable run, but i'm imagining it shoudnt take more than 12-15' of cable to get into the trunk?

the speaker wire listings you listed is another good reason to run with the knu kit, which comes with 12 vs 16awg speaker wire.

the fuse listing is a good general guide too, but you can run with the manufacturer's specifications over the general guide on the fuse size. and the knu kit comes with a 120A fuse with the ability to upgrade to a 150 in the future. should be well within spec for a 700w amp

Comment

The biggest thing you have to remeber is you never wanna put an bigger amp fuse becuse youll blow your amp the fuse is there to keep two much currnt from going through your amp so save your self some money and dont go trying to run an bigger fuse.....

Comment

The biggest thing you have to remeber is you never wanna put an bigger amp fuse becuse youll blow your amp the fuse is there to keep two much currnt from going through your amp so save your self some money and dont go trying to run an bigger fuse.....
                          It's there for the wire too. So if your amp(s) pull more than what the wire is rated for then you fuse according to the wire. Pick the smaller value.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

I may be reading it wrong but it sounds like you're saying that a bigger in-line fuse will blow your amp

you wont blow your amp if you're running a bigger fuse on cable inline fuse. the fuses on the side of your amp are what keep the amp from blowing. the fuse in line with the power cable is to keep the amp from pulling more power through the wire than what it is rated for, which keeps it from melting, starting fires, etc.

if you have 2 35A fuses on the side of the amp, which that amp will likely have, then right you dont put bigger fuses in there. but having 2 35A fuses on the amp and a 150A fuse on the wire shouldnt hurt anything if the wire is rated for 150A

Comment

Ive blown amps without blowing the fuses on the amp lol i only speak from experiance......it depends on the amp...the only time ive ever blown the fuse on an amp its self was when i was running 1ohm on an amp not 1 ohm stable...
                              id rather blow an fuse before the amp then let the amp blow fuses i dont and wouldnt ever recomend it its your gear though do as you please

Comment

Ive blown amps without blowing the fuses on the amp lol i only speak from experiance......it depends on the amp...the only time ive ever blown the fuse on an amp its self was when i was running 1ohm on an amp not 1 ohm stable...
                                id rather blow an fuse before the amp then let the amp blow fuses i dont and wouldnt ever recomend it its your gear though do as you please
                                i hear ya, just in the 8 years that i've done car audio ive always oversized my cable to the amps i was running and have always had my in line fuses set up for cable specs. never blown an amp. its not a bad idea though

Comment

Working...
                                X