Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Gas Mileage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas Mileage?

I have a 91 Honda Accord Lx fully stock. I get about 300 miles to the tank, is that in the Honda 4-cylinder range? that doesn't seem that good? Thanks
    -JTM

Originally posted by JTM
    I have a 91 Honda Accord Lx fully stock. I get about 300 miles to the tank, is that in the Honda 4-cylinder range? that doesn't seem that good? Thanks
    -JTM
    do 300 divided by 17 and thats ur mpg ur getting around 17.6 mpg..thats bad i got cai headers exhaust and cam gear and i get any where from 20-24 mpg..have u changed ur plugs and air filter and change the oil latly and keep ur right foot of the gas petal...lol...

Comment

I usually fill up at about 14 or 15 gallons. I've never been able to fill up 17 gallons, even that one time I ran out of gas...oh wait, make that 2 times.

When I'm scrapping E I can put in 15 gallons give or take a 1/4 gallon

so if I refill at 300 I'd be getting 20-21 mpg. As it stands right now I get an average of 24 mpg

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
      where you been, is something wrong?
      i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

Will cleaning the air filter help? haven't even check it, don't know where it is to tell you the truth. I have new tires, and wiring is all new to the spark plugs i believe. Thanks,
        -JTM

Comment

Originally posted by JTM
          Will cleaning the air filter help? haven't even check it, don't know where it is to tell you the truth. I have new tires, and wiring is all new to the spark plugs i believe. Thanks,
          -JTM
          cap and rotor can aways help...

Comment

Yeah I don't get it, I have a 1993 LX and the most I can fill my tank is maximum 15 gallons. Was there a variation or do you guys just 'top off'? I have a hard time believing though that you can squeeze an additional 2 gallons into there though just by holding the trigger.
            Bought from: bmxicansd, casterx, Bruce Banner, lokuputha. Sold to: darkcloud, treyd82,

Comment

It never gets totally empty. I've put in about 16.2 at one point. I know how to push it Of course, going really low is a VERY bad idea. If there is sediment in your tank, you're most likely to suck it up when the fuel is low. Also, the stock fuel pump is in-tank, and it's cooled by the fuel. For optimal pump life, going below 1/2 tank isn't great (my fuel pump has 230k on it, half of that done by me... and I ALWAYS take it deep into gas-light territory, so that bit of information contradicts my personal experience)

Comment

yeah i get about 280 to a tank, usually a mix of city and highway, BUT i have a roof rack w/ a bike on top that makes me feel like i'm driving an escalade lol. 300 isn't bad. If you're getting that on 14 gallons, thats 21mpg (what our cars are rated for in the city). Factor in the age and mileage of your engine and that's pretty damn good. Do a tune up if you have any doubts on when that stuff was replaced ie: plugs, wires, distributor, cap, rotor and check your air filter and fuel filter. Doing those things you'd be set i'd say. Oh yeah Tire pressure is a biggie as well, check it once a month at 32 psi.

member's ride thread
                93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                91 Accord SE 176k
                97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

I recall a few months back, I gained 2 mpg by changing out my cap and rotor. However, I had also previously replaced the plugs, wires, coil, fuel filter, air filter. But it wasn't until I did the cap and rotor I went from a consistent 22 mpg to a consistent 24 mpg.

on the stairs, she grabs my arm, says whats up,
                  where you been, is something wrong?
                  i try to just smile, and say everything’s fine.

Comment

you can also change out ur pcv valve and clean out ur egr that seems to help as well

Comment

you should be around 400+ mpg. if not, somethings wrong.
                      miss my turbo cb7
                      moved onto volvos. dont know how that happened, just did

Comment

i get roughly 400-425 a tank, mostly highway driving. the lowest ive ever got on a tank was 300, and that was a weekend of nothing but cruising around, hauling ass
                        Driving before toke:
                        Driving after toke:

Promote friendly driving, Toke!

www.myspace.com/fzzy285

Comment

I get 400 a tank or better on highway. I been recently driving my car on off on off and I still get 20.7 mpg lol around town. This is also with some spirited driving on the side lol.

The New-ish Ride
                          My old Ride
                          Hear my Vtak!!!
                          MK3 Member #3
                          I piss off people for fun.
                          IA 08 Sunburn Victim #1

Comment

you should get any where from 397-400 when the light will flicker on...then go off...and then another 5-10 before it stays on...and perhaps go to 420 before your running bare ass out, but these numbers are while using an uncorrected speedometer.

Be warned...your methods for calculating mileage are off...not only because of to many changing variables, but also because your speedo is off. To find out exactly how off your car is...get on the interstate...go a set speed...and use how long it takes you to go between those mile markers to figure your actual speed (NOTE...do not use the speedo's displayed speed at all...that just gives you a good set point). Your odometer and trip meter will be off by the same percentage your speedo is off.

Any way I did this three times and got roughly 3% difference in actual speed vs displayed speed.

Either way you can just keep using your current method in order to determine whether or not what you do changes said mileage...figure your actual later...for now...ignore the inaccuracy of it.

Secondly...I was getting roughly 350 miles per tank (mileage not corrected for speedo) when my oxygen sensor had crapped out.

If you have larger than stock rims then this will also account for a reduction in supposed economy as displayed miles on the odo/trip meter will be less than with smaller rims/tires.

All that said...only going 300 miles to fuel light illumination on stock steelies means you've got some issues.

Amongst the plethora of normal maintenance items (air filter, spark plugs, tire pressure...NOTE...a clogged fuel filter actually increases MPG...less gas flows) there are some things you may not be considering.

I.E.
                            If you have overfilled your manual transmission or used the wrong viscosity in it, this could reduce mileage.

If you have an auto and have old fluid, this also can reduce your mileage.

Using the wrong viscosity oil in the engine will also reduce economy.

I know some synthetics actually can increase their viscosity over time (from 30 to 40 weight) but I do not know if regular oil does this.

I'm not talking about spinning tires or fast acceleration...but when you accel..don't push the gas pedal all the way down...going full throttle (whether your rev the engine high or not) will make the car leave "economy mode" and it will run more towards "more power mode"...so not only when you accel should you do so slowly (as we all know)...but also, do not push the gas pedal all the way down. I know you can be on going in 5th and push the gas all the way down and you won't rev the engine any...just accel...but this takes the ecu out of it's efficiency running, it shuts off the egr valve and other mileage saving components.

Of course not spinning tires and revving the engine will also help economy...along with proper tire inflation, not running with windows all the way down...

That's all I can think of right now.
                            ____

Comment

I get 500k or 312miles per tank no matter what it works out to 20mpg

My Members Ride Page

Comment

Working...
                              X