CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Beginner forum -- New members post here! > Beginner Technical/Performance

Old 10-06-2011, 08:05 PM   #1
JDM_Certified
CB7tuner Member

JDM_Certified is cool... so far.
Igniter??

I just want a better review from you fellaz. okay, so after driving my car would sometimes just shut off. It'll sometimes start or sometimes just keep cranking but not turn over. Even when/if it does start, the car would stay ON because im holding idle at 1000. as soon as i let go of the gas to let the car idle on its own, it would simply die out. Im sure thats a sign of the igniter or could i be wrong? i have also noticed that the screw for the distributor cap was snapped by the person that worked on it before. so the screw is stuck in the distributor and i have a little gap between the cap and the distributor. could that just be the reason why because of the gap? or could it really be my igniter or something else?
JDM_Certified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 08:07 PM   #2
dj_ender
Mod\Dubstep Pusher

dj_ender seems to have made some friends! dj_ender seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM_Certified View Post
I just want a better review from you fellaz. okay, so after driving my car would sometimes just shut off. It'll sometimes start or sometimes just keep cranking but not turn over. Even when/if it does start, the car would stay ON because im holding idle at 1000. as soon as i let go of the gas to let the car idle on its own, it would simply die out. Im sure thats a sign of the igniter or could i be wrong? i have also noticed that the screw for the distributor cap was snapped by the person that worked on it before. so the screw is stuck in the distributor and i have a little gap between the cap and the distributor. could that just be the reason why because of the gap? or could it really be my igniter or something else?
Have you pulled off the cap to inspect the inside of it? If not you should, it might give us a better idea.
dj_ender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:15 AM   #3
budget street
CB7tuner Member

budget street is cool... so far.
most of the time time when the ignitor fails it is not intemitent. ignitor breaks and stays broken. this sounds to me like fuel issue and main fuel relay is very common to be intermitent like you are describeing (especially on hot summer days). also the fuel pump can be intermitent as described.

but instead of guessing what it is... test for spark if you have spark test that you are getting fuel.
budget street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:34 AM   #4
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
The fact that you have to hold it at 1000rpm to keep it running is what stumps me. That doesn't really go with any of the suggested issues.

The ignitor often causes the tachometer to jump erratically before it finally fails. That's pretty much the only warning sign. As budget_street said, when the ignitor goes, it's gone. The coil is another common no-start part, but that won't mess with the tach. A bad coil just means your car won't start.

The main relay shouldn't cause the 1000rpm issue. Really, all that relay does is tell the fuel pump to kick on. If you have fuel, the relay and fuel pump work. Check the fuel pressure. If that checks out, then the relay and pump should be good.

Have you replaced your distributor cap and rotor? Plug wires and plugs? If not, do so. If so, double check to make sure all things are in good condition.

When the engine is running, does it run smoothly, or does it misfire and stumble?

Also, have you moved or removed your distributor? If so, did you properly set your ignition timing afterward? If your ignition timing is way off, paired with some other weak components, that could easily cause your symptoms.

deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: