CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Parts & Performance > Technical

Old 11-13-2017, 06:36 PM   #1
GTRON
CB7tuner Member

GTRON is cool... so far.
Question Brake Overhaul Suggestions?

Hey Guys, so my brakes are about done on all four corners, I'm definitely starting to get a squeal from my rear discs when coming to a stop.

Right now everything is stock all around (with the exception of SS brake hoses, and a rear disc conversion), and I'm wondering if there's a relatively simple way to upgrade my front calipers, and go to rotor over hub without going 5 lug.

Also, open to suggestions on rotors and pads. I definitely want at least slotted rotors.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:15 PM   #2
Jarrett
Contributing Member

Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to Jarrett
The "best" way to go to a ROH setup would be to buy the 2.3CL hubs, new OEM bearings, and 2.3CL front rotors and install everything inside the factory knuckle.

The "easiest" way would be to buy the entire front knuckle and brakes from a '98-'99 2.3CL or '98-'99 3.0CL. Obviously there are a lot of variables with this one, but I just wanted to present the idea that there are a myriad of ways to accomplish this and these are just two points along the spectrum.

Depending on whether or not you use this as an opportunity to upgrade rotor size or caliper size will influence the overall cost of this modification. Doing it the way I described first is essentially turning the HOR setup into a ROH setup and doing nothing else at all. Basically making the car the way it should have come from the factory, still with a 262mm front rotor.

Something else to consider is that this is a modification that doesn't require you to do everything at once. If you found a '98-'99 2.3CL at a junkyard and snagged both front knuckles with the rotors, you could run that setup with your OEM caliper and bracket only to decide you want to go with a larger 11.1" rotor in the future.

Also, if your car has Nissin calipers currently, you could upgrade rotor size with just new rotors, caliper brackets and pads. Your factory caliper would fit the larger bracket.

I will say that this topic can be a dreaded one to explain. People say that the information isn't clear, and they're usually right. It's because the nature of this modification is one that promotes a "while you're in there" upgrade. Not many people ever stick with the OEM 262mm rotor setup, but that's how the original DIY was written. To explain how to correct the HOR issue, and nothing else. The upgrade portion that includes possibilities for larger rotors, larger calipers (different calipers in the case of those with Akebonos) and different knuckles is what makes it confusing.

Tell us what you want andwhat your budget for this is, and we can make suggestions on how to proceed.
If you see any threads or posts of mine whose picture links are broken (there are a lot), please send me a link to the thread. I will gladly fix them. I don't see it as a fruitless burden. This site has helped give me quite a bit of my drive and passion for cars, and fixing my picture links is the least I can do to give back.
Jarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:11 PM   #3
GTRON
CB7tuner Member

GTRON is cool... so far.
I would like to upgrade my rotor size and calipers, and I am planning on spending some cash on this.

My goals are to go ROH on the front, and bump up the rotor (and caliper if possible) sizes.

I am not sure which Calipers my car came with, it's a 1992 LX Sedan.

I'd love to do what this guy did: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...=33141&page=27

Last edited by GTRON; Yesterday at 07:20 PM.
GTRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:20 AM   #4
Jarrett
Contributing Member

Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool... Jarrett . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to Jarrett
He rarely posts on here anymore, now that he's relegated himself to Instagram. His name there is @werdwerx, and that's the name of his shop, too.

In order for you to install RL calipers, you're either going to have to go with a 5-lug conversion, or have the necessary Maxima/350Z rotors redrilled for 4x114.3.

To perform that swap and stay 4x114.3, I would search around and find '98-'99 2.3CL or 3.0CL front knuckles and just install the whole knuckle in your car (after replacing the balljoint, of course. Buy the caliper adapter from Fat Four Customs (The FastBrakes model is a direct copy of a guy named Paul in the 7th-gen crowd.), the rotor from a Brembo caliper-equipped 350Z/G35 and the calipers from an '05-'12 Acura RL. You can source them many places. A guy named Rafael Vega sells them often (he has a set as of 11/22/17) and Werdwerx can sell you a pair already customized if you choose to go that route. I'd recommend stainless lines to go along with that, but that's pretty much it up front.
If you see any threads or posts of mine whose picture links are broken (there are a lot), please send me a link to the thread. I will gladly fix them. I don't see it as a fruitless burden. This site has helped give me quite a bit of my drive and passion for cars, and fixing my picture links is the least I can do to give back.
Jarrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:12 AM   #5
Corweena
CB7tuner Member

Corweena is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarrett View Post
He rarely posts on here anymore, now that he's relegated himself to Instagram. His name there is @werdwerx, and that's the name of his shop, too.

In order for you to install RL calipers, you're either going to have to go with a 5-lug conversion, or have the necessary Maxima/350Z rotors redrilled for 4x114.3.

To perform that swap and stay 4x114.3, I would search around and find '98-'99 2.3CL or 3.0CL front knuckles and just install the whole knuckle in your car (after replacing the balljoint, of course. Buy the caliper adapter from Fat Four Customs (The FastBrakes model is a direct copy of a guy named Paul in the 7th-gen crowd.), the rotor from a Brembo caliper-equipped 350Z/G35 and the calipers from an '05-'12 Acura RL. You can source them many places. A guy named Rafael Vega sells them often (he has a set as of 11/22/17) and Werdwerx can sell you a pair already customized if you choose to go that route. I'd recommend stainless lines to go along with that, but that's pretty much it up front.
+1 to Werdwerx. If you want RLs rebuilt, he's the guy to go to. He's the only person who works on my Accord anymore. Great guy, and a diehard Accord enthusiast. You can do the whole thing through him too, as he gets his calipers from Rafael who Jarret mentioned (who is another close friend of mine).

One thing to note, the FFC calipers are meant to be used with the 350Z Brembo equipped size rotors.....Fastbrakes brackets are actually meant to be used with slightly smaller Nissan Maxima rotor. Having seen both side by side, FFC is my personal choice, and what seems to be much more popular.

When I first installed RLs, I was one of the first 2 people with Accords who had them, and stayed 4 lug back in late 2013. The first person to do it had custom rotors made, so that was a much more expensive route. I however realized that with the 5 lug guys using the 350Z rotor, I could just redrill it, and boom, its completely bolt on, and saves a good chunk of money over custom.

It shouldn't be hard to find a shop that can redrill the rotors for you....and if you can't find one, hit up 88 Rotors. I had them do mine back then. Cost like $30? And now, if you buy their brand rotors, a lot of times they will do it for free, which ain't bad.

On another note, which I don't think anyone really mentioned. If you would prefer to stick to a "stock" (aka non RL) setup, but still upsize, there are 2 ways to do it. Running 3.0 CL brakes like mentioned. But if you say find 2.3CL spindles instead, another option is to get rotors from a 93-96 Prelude VTEC (11in vs stock 10in), and get wagon/V6 Accord calipers. They are pretty much identical and use a much larger caliper vs the stock 4 cylinder Accord ones. With so many 90s Honda parts interchangeable, you have a few options for finding what's cheapest or most available local to you.

Last edited by Corweena; Today at 03:17 AM.
Corweena is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: