Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > Parts & Performance > Suspension

Old 03-05-2007, 12:21 PM   #21
Otto
CB7tuner Member

Otto is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloryaccordy
I wonder what size tires they went with... those look like 205/40s

And the Accord is a very fun car, even stock. I remember a few incidents on the stock suspension where I either entered a four wheel drift under braking or got a little off-throttle kickout... good times. With a modded suspension though I'd rather have it be neutral with a little understeer as having the back snap on 300# springs is a recipe for disaster.
Yeah...my setup isn't too bad. But I'd really like to get the back end under control. Had it come out once on an on ramp in light rain, and can feel it flutter sometimes on ramps, not even pushing it. Far as I understand, adding an appropriate rear sway bar will counteract that.

Great info though

Last edited by Otto; 03-05-2007 at 12:24 PM.
Otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 12:30 PM   #22
10thcb7
Banned

10thcb7 may be a total jerk. It is very likely.
otto.... what suspension upgrade do you have .... ? thats seems scary as shit and i dont want the same set up you hve ...JK
10thcb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 01:26 PM   #23
wed3k
Contributing Member

wed3k seems to have made some friends! wed3k seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to wed3k
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto
Yeah...my setup isn't too bad. But I'd really like to get the back end under control. Had it come out once on an on ramp in light rain, and can feel it flutter sometimes on ramps, not even pushing it. Far as I understand, adding an appropriate rear sway bar will counteract that.

Great info though
i had the opposite happen to me.

actually both times were when it was dry and i had good tires one of those times and the stock ex sway bar.

it was probably the AGX's set too high and too high of tire pressure And i like to dive into corners too fast.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.
wed3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 01:54 PM   #24
lokuputha
CB7tuner Member

lokuputha is cool... so far.
tires make a hell of a difference....

most likely if the car is slipping at low speeds it ur tires...

go with some gummy Potenza's and u'll love it....

my G009's are great...relatively quiet, very sticky...and no matter what I do...I can't get them to squeal

Old 03-05-2007, 02:06 PM   #25
gloryaccordy
Contributing Member

gloryaccordy is cool... so far.
Quote:

Great info though
What kind of setup do you have? If you want more rear end stability you DON'T want a stiffer rear sway bar. If you have adjustible shocks, make the shocks in the back softer. The softer the rear end is, the less oversteer you will get.

People don't realize oversteer is a BAD thing. Plus, our cars are slow enough that even at 9/10ths you really shouldn't be slipping and sliding all over the place anyway. With my old setup, on shitty ass Kuhmos I can't remember ever even breaking traction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordoja View Post
im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral
gloryaccordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 02:41 PM   #26
owequitit
CB7tuner Member

owequitit is very helpful owequitit is very helpful owequitit is very helpful
Send a message via AIM to owequitit
1) the tire rubbing with 215/45-17 must have been an offset issue. I have been running them on my wheels for several years now, and with almost the exact same drop, I haven't rubbed once.

2) The CB7 was very capable in terms of easy to drive at the limit stock, but the ulimate grip threshold wasn't that impressive.

3) People often neglect the importance of suspension design vs. drive layout.

I.E. a rear drive car with crappy suspension design will not necessarily outhandle a FWD with superb suspension design just because it is RWD.

Pony/Muscle cars a good example of this. Live axles are great for the dragstrip, but they have many limitations on a road course. They can be fast, but they require a lot of time and effort for setup, and design.

PS The 90-91 doesn't look that old either, because people mistake my car for a 2000 or so all the time.

IMO the 90-91 STILL looks better because it looks lower and wider as an effect of the different tailight design, and the front bumper is more agressive with the wider opening.

Whereas something like the CB responds the way it does, because the design is there, but they didn't choose the most performance oriented shocks, springs, ride height etc.

The Accord is a family car, not a handling machine, but Honda still wanted it to be fun to drive, and it is.

Luckily, the suspension design means that if you pump up the handling hardware, you will see a HUGE increase in handling, just because the basics are there.

Inducing rear end steer under ANY circumstances is pretty laudable for a FWD family car.

4) Those with oversteer problems may want to check things like bushings etc, because the handling should not be creepy. The tail may come out a bit, but it shouldn't be uncontrollable or anything near it.

5) I do agree with Glory in that Neutral with slight understeer . The neutral makes you fast, the slight understeer helps keep you safe.

Plus, with something like an LSD tranny, that is a perfect combo because underpower, you can actually get the nose to tuck a bit, just like a properly setup RWD.

Last edited by owequitit; 03-05-2007 at 02:47 PM.
owequitit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 07:12 PM   #27
10thcb7
Banned

10thcb7 may be a total jerk. It is very likely.
so softer struts will compensate for a thinner sway bar ?
Or would a thicker bar with softer rear struts be omptimal ?
10thcb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 08:57 PM   #28
gloryaccordy
Contributing Member

gloryaccordy is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10thcb7
so softer struts will compensate for a thinner sway bar ?
Or would a thicker bar with softer rear struts be omptimal ?
Optimal for what? It depends on what you want out of your suspension.

Generally speaking you want everything stiff or everything soft. Mixing and matching stiffnesses is risky business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordoja View Post
im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral
gloryaccordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2007, 10:17 PM   #29
The G-Man
Contributing Member

The G-Man seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to The G-Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloryaccordy
Optimal for what? It depends on what you want out of your suspension.

Generally speaking you want everything stiff or everything soft. Mixing and matching stiffnesses is risky business.
Yeah it is. I put my AGX'es on the soft settings for a while with my Neuspeed race springs and it made handling a little hairy.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:36 PM   #30
Otto
CB7tuner Member

Otto is cool... so far.
My suspension is all stock except for Omni-Power streets and replaced front swaybar link bushings. Well, its not so bad, and I have decent rubber up front (not MS rated 205s on prelude 16" rims), but used all reasons on the rear, cause I didn't want to spend the cash at the moment. This spring I'll be replacing the rears with the same tires as up front when the snow tires/wheels go into storage. And to me the rear is a tad too stiff on the omnis. Front is fine. I have an LX, so there's no rear sway to begin with. It handles great, but it still feels a bit sluggish with sharp maneuvers at low speeds. Maybe its just the weight of the car? Also the Omnis don't go high enough in the back, and the stroke is shorter than I'd like in the back, too.
I'm really eager and interested to learn more about suspension in both daily driving and performance, especially relating to my car. So any info will be greatly appreciated.
I haven't done anything else besides maintenance because of the body work needed, and its kinda caused me to fall out of love with my CB. I'm managing surprising MPG and the interior is good, and everything else is great, but it looks like crap. I really want a 9293EX (I don't like the 9091s because of the auto seat belts) with a great body, and sell or maybe part the LX. I want ABS, sunroof, four wheel disk, etc.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:59 AM   #31
GreenMadness
CB7tuner Member

GreenMadness is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to GreenMadness
that set up is really similar to mine... and i fully agree with this article, o how nimble an accord can be
Old 03-06-2007, 10:35 PM   #32
lokuputha
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
I'm really eager and interested to learn more about suspension in both daily driving and performance, especially relating to my car. So any info will be greatly appreciated.
good to hear...its a major part of the car...a good suspension system will keep in check the fun factor and the safety factor of the CB!....

when doing upgrades...lots of research, user reviews and unfortunately price come into play...im not saying that u can't get good products of cheap, but this is usually not the case.

regarding ur car not taking corners as well as u wanted....a rear sway bar will go a long way...even if you have softer springs, sway bars will reduce that dreaded family sedan roll

Old 03-06-2007, 11:02 PM   #33
starchland
Contributing Member

starchland may have said something they shouldn't have...
you can look for used parts.

"You've done more threatening prescription drugs..."
"the character of a man can be judged by how he takes his criticism"
"Quoting yourself is like, masturbation" -Starchland
starchland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2007, 03:10 PM   #34
lokuputha
CB7tuner Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starchland
you can look for used parts.

yeah used parts are great for emergency parts replacement...when money is an issue...

but if u want a serious suspension build, and are saving money...might as well go with brand new stuff...they might be more reliable...

Old 03-14-2007, 03:23 PM   #35
93_EXR.
CB7tuner Member

93_EXR. is cool... so far.
Send a message via MSN to 93_EXR.
that plus h22 would be sexy!!!!!!!!
Old 03-14-2007, 03:35 PM   #36
TysCb7
Contributing Member

TysCb7 is cool... so far.
great info

Members Ride
TysCb7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 10:35 PM   #37
bacal36
CB7tuner Member

bacal36 is cool... so far.
Response to Illuminas vs Koni

I've had the pleasure of owning both sets of shocks, but I had different springs with each set. The illumina's i actually had the same setup as in the article. Progress Springs, and Illuminas. I loved em!!! Handling was great, shocks were stiff. Oh it was a fun car to take through the canyon.

The second set, I have the koni yellows with neuspeed race springs (aka super cup kit) This set is a little better than the illuminas IMO. But i also have a rear ST sway bar, and with this setup the car loves to hug the road.

I would say that the first setup is a 7, and the second is a 9. out of 10 of course. Ive had my Cb for a while... i love it.

Sold, but not forgotten.
bacal36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:04 PM   #38
sackingz123
Contributing Member

sackingz123 is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to sackingz123
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacal36
I've had the pleasure of owning both sets of shocks, but I had different springs with each set. The illumina's i actually had the same setup as in the article. Progress Springs, and Illuminas. I loved em!!! Handling was great, shocks were stiff. Oh it was a fun car to take through the canyon.

The second set, I have the koni yellows with neuspeed race springs (aka super cup kit) This set is a little better than the illuminas IMO. But i also have a rear ST sway bar, and with this setup the car loves to hug the road. http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/newreply...eply&p=924024#
bouncy

I would say that the first setup is a 7, and the second is a 9. out of 10 of course. Ive had my Cb for a while... i love it.
WoRD!!!

YOUR A OG' MAN!!!
sackingz123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:54 PM   #39
SN2BH22CB7
CB7tuner Member

SN2BH22CB7 is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to SN2BH22CB7 Send a message via MSN to SN2BH22CB7 Send a message via Yahoo to SN2BH22CB7
Quote:
Originally Posted by wed3k
i like my 90 but for some reason 92-93's look different in terms of front end.
i mean...all they changed was the front number, headlight and grill...*shrugs*
but it looks fucking sexy and i want it.

thats not all they changed...look closely....

lets start with the front

ok..

Headlight lense cover is more curved than the 90-91
grill is a little different...its contoured to fit the 92-93 headlights..
corner lights are a litte different than the 90-91s
front bumper...different
bumper lights OBVIOUSLY different!

INTERIOR

only things different is the arm rest and the steering well center ( airbag inside )

REAR

the trunk lid and tails

and thats it

as far as I can see

oh yeah..and the additions:

its got EXTERNAL coil...and ABS and AIRBAG system ( 92-93 )

so yes, the 1992-1993 cbs are a bit more modern than the 1990-1991 cbs..but I still love em all

personally...I would love to find a good condition RUNNING 1992-1993 EX or SE coupe!

for under $3500!!!!

MR Thread:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=174586
My tribute page: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=70489

Last edited by SN2BH22CB7; 03-16-2007 at 12:04 AM.
SN2BH22CB7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2007, 12:07 AM   #40
CB7814
CB7tuner Member

CB7814 is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to CB7814 Send a message via MSN to CB7814
Dang thats sweet. I like the rims too

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: