No announcement yet.

Grumpys93 : 1993 Accord LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your text led me to believe it was worse. Well we’ll see. You got this. I got my fingers crossed so you can use yours to handle this situation lol. The CB forehead smacker issues I’ve created in the past always come with the financial kick to the jewels as well. Unfortunately they seem to go hand in hand.
    5 studded & leather clad - Praise The Lowered

~Mark~

Comment

Have you done a wet compression test? Could it be the rings?

Comment

Originally posted by judonoh View Post
        Have you done a wet compression test? Could it be the rings?
        no point in doing a wet test. the rings would have to be broken to only make 40psi. and they arent gonna be broken on a fresh engine that already had a clean bill of health on an initial compression test (prior to the cam gear install).

Stuff happens. This was definitely the last thing on my mind but the diagnostic ladder kept leading me towards it until i finally had enough and had to know. I feel for him, but it will get fixed and we will get back on it.
        www.850fab.com
        IG - @850Fab
        FB - @850Fabrication

Comment

I hate when that happens. You should be good with just valves. One of my rescue projects had all 16 valves bent - stock pistons were fine; your forged pistons should tolerate more than a little valve contact.
          90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
          08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Dam, well good luck man. I'm not sure what to say except good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
              I hate when that happens. You should be good with just valves. One of my rescue projects had all 16 valves bent - stock pistons were fine; your forged pistons should tolerate more than a little valve contact.
              That’s what I’m hoping for but you never know.
              Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
              Dam, well good luck man. I'm not sure what to say except good luck.
              Lol nothing really needed to say. Just bummed I made such a newbie mistake. Oh well live and learn.
              ~Nick~
              FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
              MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

So I had some free time and tore the head off the car to look at the damage. I am happy to see that the pistons are still in excellent condition:

So after seeing everything was good I pulled the valves, these are the valves from cylinder #2(which had 40psi compression):

It was hard to see if they were bent, I first tried to eye it and couldn't see much, then I did the roll test and that was a little tough to tell. But When I put them in a drill, 2 of the 4 has a small wobble and 2 looked true. If you look at the picture you will see the 3rd valve on the right(intake valve) has a slight bend.

Cylinder 3 had a compression of 150 so I pulled the valves on that one as well and couldn't see much. I am going to replace them anyways. I went ahead and ordered 8 new valves from Honda 4 intake and 4 exhaust.

I will be dropping the head at the machine shop and should hopefully have it back next week.

Stay tuned.
                Last edited by Grumpys93; 05-24-2019, 09:56 AM.
                ~Nick~
                FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13

Comment

Dam... you're making my leaky gas tank issue not feel so bad.
                  So no drinking while working on the car this time ? (kidding)

So there's nothing left after this fix is there? Straight to the dyno again?

Comment

Dam... you're making my leaky gas tank issue not feel so bad.
                    So no drinking while working on the car this time ? (kidding)

So there's nothing left after this fix is there? Straight to the dyno again?
                    Oh drinking will still commence it just won’t be a copious amount. Blake and I still haven’t gotten it to start and run. Hoping that’s due to the low compression, but yes after first start it should be straight to a tune. While the head is out, I am fixing a couple of the small issues as well as install my AEM AFR gauge I just received in the mail yesterday. Not sure where I’m going to mount it yet.

Dealing with any kind of leak is never a fun task, especially if it requires dropping a fuel tank.
                    ~Nick~

Comment

That's alright man, I know you'll get it together in no time & it will be a
                      beast for sure!

Mistakes just help us learn & grow stronger into the future.
                      Keep Pushing..

Comment

Originally posted by G. Wiffington View Post
                        That's alright man, I know you'll get it together in no time & it will be a
                        beast for sure!

Mistakes just help us learn & grow stronger into the future.
                        Exactly!

So got the head back from the shop today they found 2 exhaust valves bent and 3 intake valves that they said were rounded and not sealing properly. I asked them is that due to poor machining from a previous shop and they said no its just due to valves getting old and losing their "edge." I said thats weird as when I took them to the shop in jacksonville they were all new so how could they be old. Which made me question if this machine shop took my new valves and swapped them with old valves.

Anyways they pressure checked the valves and they all passed with flying colors (the new valves) and I have some brand new valves left over for future bends (hopefully this never happens). They also hot tanked it and cleaned it up. So I'm hoping this weekend I can throw the head on at the very minimum, since I am back into the simulator/ flight phase of flight school.

Also installed my MTEC shifter springs into the tranny and it made going back to neutral very nice and crisp took away all the slop. A note for anyone who plans to do this mod, make sure you follow the instructions to the t, if you don't put the spring in correctly i.e which bend on the top spring is on top, the lever for the shifter arm inside the assembly will pop out of the spring after a couple actuations. The picture below is the only one I took and this shows the spring on upside down. The top bend should be on crossing the other side of the arm.

So make sure you look at the pictures on their website very carefully, Im glad I tested it a couple times before I installed it.

Then finally got an awesome deal on an AEM AFR gauge and figured I needed one anyways, So I wired it into the ECU for datalogging as per John Vega (Phearable) instructions. I haven't had a chance to test it yet, but once the motor is back together, I will do an OPs check on it. I am now stuck on where to mount it. I thought about this location but don't like the wires and don't really want to drill a hole in the dash. The only other location I can think of is on top of the steering column, but then it blocks the speedo, though I rarely look at it.

Progress is being made and we are slowly getting to that second attempt at a start. Hopefully next week will be that day.
                        ~Nick~

Comment

You should have no more compression issues in cylinder number 2. It should be nice and explosive. I'll be waiting on some form of video. I had to go back and comb through your progress.
                          The Lord watches over me!

"Stop punching down on my people!!!"

- D. Chappelle

Comment

i had a pic once of someone who put the gauge in the vent hole. Looked good. My vote is for the A pillar, but this depends on how many gauges you are going to run.

Comment

i had a pic once of someone who put the gauge in the vent hole. Looked good. My vote is for the A pillar, but this depends on how many gauges you are going to run.
                              I already have 2 gauges on my A Pillar and I honestly don't want a third, I thought about using a vent to hold it but that would require me to remove the dash which I currently do not want to do, maybe down the road once this thing is running.

So I got done with my sim early today, and what better way to relax then working on the car, so I decided to put the head on today. The head is torqued down, timing is done (Correctly I hope) I verified all my marking this time, installed the intake manifold and fuel plumbing. All I have left to do is bolt up the turbo components, pour in all the fluids, bleed the coolant, connect the exhaust components. hook up alternator, dizzy, and then attempt to start her for a second time.

It would be awesome if I could get this all done before the weekend, but it all depends on work and how exhausted I am at the end of the day.

Anyways here is a pic of the engine:

For all of those who study pictures to look for flaws, when I took this picture you will notice that the water neck sensor has the wrong connector on it(should be green plug not grey) I have since fixed this and we are good to go there.
                              ~Nick~

Comment

Looks good man! I wish you luck, I'll be rootin' for ya!

Comment

Working...
                                X