Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

timing belt issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

timing belt issue

i Have a 92 cb7 that i recently bought and i had to replace the timing belt. no issue there but i was driving today and i think the timing belt went. the car died and wont kick over it cranks but wont start. I dont know if this is just a belt issue or if its being caused elsewhere. if anyone has had a similar issue or know what may be the cause id appreciate the input, Thanx

when the car cranks over does it sound like normal cranking? or does it sound like a cordless drill or maybe a blender? scary fast cranking = broken timing belt
    Officially "hilarious mad sarcastic"! Thanks CB74christ for the recognition of my work.

Comment

could be the main relay. do you hear a fuel pump priming when the key is turned to the ACC position?

member's ride thread
      93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
      99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
      91 Accord SE 176k
      97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

remove distributor, have someone crank engine...if you don't see the cam spin...broke belt...fucked engine.

or you could just pop the valve cover off and look for a busted belt.

or try to take just the belt covers off and see hard to do
        ____

Comment

news

Originally posted by bcjammerx View Post
          remove distributor, have someone crank engine...if you don't see the cam spin...broke belt...fucked engine.

or you could just pop the valve cover off and look for a busted belt.

or try to take just the belt covers off and see hard to do

the belt is still in one piece basically. it shredded down to about a 1/4 in thickness and was able to slide off the sprocket, what could cause this?

Comment

Originally posted by speedyfreak86 View Post
            the belt is still in one piece basically. it shredded down to about a 1/4 in thickness and was able to slide off the sprocket, what could cause this?
            Pull the side covers off and see if you have a clearance issue.
            1992 Prelude S w/swapped H22A

Comment

If the pistons were moving, and the valves were not... your motor could be toast. That's what happens when the timing belt breaks or falls off.

If the belt shredded and came off, I would question the installation of it. It shouldn't do that, unless something is done wrong.

Comment

either installation or existing problem. The OP says that the car is a recent purchase & got the new timing belt then. So something keeps destroying them or no one can put one on the car correctly.
                Officially "hilarious mad sarcastic"! Thanks CB74christ for the recognition of my work.

Comment

It almost doesn't matter at this point, what caused the failure. The first order of business is to determine if the valves are screwed up.

Comment

Are the teeth ground down or is the belt width reduced? Also, when you replaced the timing belt, I am wondering whether you replaced the tensioner pulleys and springs?

Sorry about your car, I have a 92 too.

Comment

Originally posted by batever View Post
                      Are the teeth ground down or is the belt width reduced? Also, when you replaced the timing belt, I am wondering whether you replaced the tensioner pulleys and springs?

Sorry about your car, I have a 92 too.
                      i didnt replace the tensioner pulley or the spring, and basiccally it looks as if it was worn down and now has a smaller width, enough for it to slide off the with the cover installed.

Comment

as stated before...something went wrong during installation.
                        ____

Comment

Demand your money back. If the shop manager gives you shit, threaten to sue because they are supposed to do things properly, no matter what their written policy is. Don't turn the engine until it's been fixed at a different shop. You sound like you have a clue anyway .

Comment

why would you not replace the tensioner

Comment

Originally posted by h23coupe View Post
                              why would you not replace the tensioner
                              It is best to replace them, but this is not always needed.

My tensioner, idler, water pump, crank and cam seals were not replaced at my first t-belt change (110,000)...only the water pump began seeping at the time of the second change (200,000)

still...usually IS a good idea
                              ____

Comment

Working...
                              X