No announcement yet.

GT86, FR-S, BRZ thoughts?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Me, my younger brother and cousin all have NBS GM trucks; mine is long bed single cab, my brother has a single cab short bed and cousin has a extended cab short bed. I told my brother once he gets tired of his truck to let me know so i can snatch it up, Houston has a BIG trucking scene; you can barely go anywhere without someone giving you the look or THE REV. One big plus about having similar vehicles is the availability of hand me down parts, my brother is getting my factory wheels tomorrow. Sorry for thread jacking
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

I say drive the BRZ/FRS/FT86 before pulling the trigger on something else. You may find that 200hp is plenty.
      Honestly, it has roughly the same power to weight ratio as an h22 swapped cb7. Not fast by today’s standards, but pleasantly quick.

Comment

Originally posted by Crankshaft View Post
        Everytime I think BMW, the first thing that comes to mind is the sig someone had

BMW you work on it to keep it working not because you want to or something along those lines.

Honestly I think it comes down to what you want, not to be a male genital member but seems everytime a poll gets started the OP seems to go for nothing that was suggested(kind of when the wife asks what she should wear). I went from driving my CB, to my F150 then a corolla just to end up with my Sierra as a DD. It's not balls out fast or anything but it has grown on me.
        That was me. I feel older BMWs have an owner break-in period where it just goes ape shit with problems. It weeds out all the people that aren't rich or don't know how to turn a wrench with trivial problems like valve cover gaskets and check engine lights. Once you get past that phase, then it settles down and actually becomes quite reliable.

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
          I say drive the BRZ/FRS/FT86 before pulling the trigger on something else. You may find that 200hp is plenty.
          Honestly, it has roughly the same power to weight ratio as an h22 swapped cb7. Not fast by today’s standards, but pleasantly quick.
          A good point. Man it is crazy how standards change, but the BRZ is slow in the context of 7 second minivans and 5 second pickup trucks.

Originally posted by lordoja
          im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

I drove a 15 FR-S. I enjoyed it a lot. I think it’s powerband is a little high up, but thats fine to me. It wasn’t terribly slow.. it wasn’t fast either. I’m looking at used ones now. Thing handled great. I’m seeing 13/14 models for like 10-11k. When I get one, I’ll post up.

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
              When I get one, I’ll post up.

You'll enjoy it, especially if you decide to modify it.
              14 Ford Focus ST - stock(ish) - E30 Tune + Green Filter =

Comment

With bolt ons and a tune you should hit 190WHP... basically the exact power/weight of a tuned H22 Accord. Should be a mid 14 second car with Cayman grade handling.

im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

Exactly. It’s a car that can be impressive without being “fast”. It falls between the Miata and S2000 in terms of being a chuckable sports car with just enough power to be fun.

Comment

Yes. I’m just trying to find one at a cost that’s actually worth buying. They’re all listed for 16+ which is about 2.5k over priced

Comment

That’s what I encountered a few years ago. My wife would’ve loved one when her Mini got squished. They’re holding their value, and any cheap ones tend to be beat.

Comment

There are a lot here from northern states too. A little iffy about 5 potential years of salty roads.

Edit: And the first thing I’m doing is a fluid change on the transmission and differential to Royal Purple and Moly. I read they get a little loud. Anybody hear that too?
                        Last edited by F22Chris; 04-22-2018, 11:53 AM.

Comment

They are loud cars in general. Probably the one deal breaker for me.

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
                            They are loud cars in general. Probably the one deal breaker for me.
                            Loudness to a point doesn’t bother me, it is a Subaru after all. (Unequal headers and fart cannons) I’m reading people have used Motul300 in their gearbox and diff to make it shift better when cold & quiet it down. Why would Subaru send out drivetrain parts with sub par fluids? Must’ve been Toyota’s choice.. I personally don’t have to worry about this, but people in colder climates are saying they literally cannot get into 2nd gear for like 10mins when it’s freezing or below. I get NO fluid will have good flow characteristics at sub freezing temps, but it shouldn’t take 10 minutes to get into 2nd.

I found an Asphalt grey one in Tennessee I’m gonna try to look at soon.

Comment

Originally posted by F22Chris View Post
                              Why would Subaru send out drivetrain parts with sub par fluids?
                              Same reason they don't build the BRZ with Koni shocks or Brembo brakes in the base model....

COST

I imagine it's no different than the fluid they use in other Subarus so it may be a design issue.

Comment

Originally posted by gloryaccordy View Post
                                Same reason they don't build the BRZ with Koni shocks or Brembo brakes in the base model....

COST

I imagine it's no different than the fluid they use in other Subarus so it may be a design issue.
                                As long as it’s not head gaskets I suppose..

Comment

Working...
                                X