Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Speedo issues, still....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedo issues, still....

My grandmothers 93 sedan hasn't had a working speedometer since she got it in January. We replaced the sensor on top the trans, but nothing. I knew my cluster in my car works fine so I went through the hassle of swapping over the cluster and STILL nothing! What else could be the issue?

The speed sensor has 3 wires, there should be battery voltage on the yellow wire with the key in the run or start position, the orange wire is the signal output, it should have a 12 volt square wave signal while the wheels are moving and the black wire is ground, it’s a simple system consisting of only a few components and wires, the other thing that is often overlooked is the little drive pin that’s inside the speed sensor, they are small and easily fall out,

Comment

Originally posted by Ashtrain View Post
      The speed sensor has 3 wires, there should be battery voltage on the yellow wire with the key in the run or start position, the orange wire is the signal output, it should have a 12 volt square wave signal while the wheels are moving and the black wire is ground, it’s a simple system consisting of only a few components and wires, the other thing that is often overlooked is the little drive pin that’s inside the speed sensor, they are small and easily fall out,
      Ashtrain hit all the key points, check the voltage then dig into the drive adapter.

Comment

Ok so the yellow wire is showing nothing. The orange wire shows between .5v and 1.5v while wheels are spinning. I take the vss off my other CB (black car) that I KNOW works and put it on the green car.... same... thing... To make matters more weird I put the sensor I took off the green car and put in my black one, nope no speedo. The pin is in place and I made sure the gear in the trans was actually turning when wheels are moving. I'm so lost...

Comment

Check the number 1 fuse in the under dash fuse box. It supplies power to the yellow wire. If there is power at the fuse, trace the wire from there. Sounds like you also have a bad vss that could have caused the death of that fuse.

Under Construction​​​​​​​​

Comment

All fuses are good, when running there's actually a little voltage showing from the yellow wire, and between 2 and 7 volts on the orange wire, it fluctuates. The both sensors DO work on my black car, I just forgot to plug it in -_- So I know the sensor is good, cluster is good, and all fuses are good.

Comment

That is the opposite of what you said earlier. In any case, the #1 fuse is where the power for that wire starts. If you have used a multi meter ( I'm assuming you have 1 given your previous posts) and have confirmed battery voltage at the fuse, then start tracing (following) the wire till you find where it is shorting to ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Size9zombie View Post
                That is the opposite of what you said earlier. In any case, the #1 fuse is where the power for that wire starts. If you have used a multi meter ( I'm assuming you have 1 given your previous posts) and have confirmed battery voltage at the fuse, then start tracing (following) the wire till you find where it is shorting to ground.
                Yep, its the opposite because I just found out my multimeter is crap , is showing .2-.5v intermittently when not even touching anything... I confirmed with a friends meter the yellow wire is in fact getting no power at all, and the orange wire is still showing random voltage with wheels turning. I'll heed you advice on tracking power from the #1 fuse and report back tomorrow.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Size9zombie View Post
                    Checked the voltage at the #1 fuse, with key on or running its a consistent 6.6volts. The fuse panel says the fuse controls turn signals and back up lights, however those are working fine with full voltage

Comment

Sorry for the delay, my next suggestion is a real pain to get to but it’s the fastest way we can figured out where it’s losing voltage, access the back of the dash fuse panel, it has to be unbolted and pulled down, if you undo some harness holders you can get decent access,check voltage at the 16 pin connector pin#16 it’s a yellow wire, I forget the excact color of connector, blue I think, there is only one 16 pin though, anyway that is output voltage to the VSS through fuse #1, it should have 12+ volts or battery voltage, if it only has 6.6 volts at that point then your problem is in the fuse panel itself, if you do have 12+ then there is a short in the wire between the fuse panel and VSS. All electrical diagnostics should be done with a good battery.

Comment

Sorry for the delay, my next suggestion is a real pain to get to but it’s the fastest way we can figured out where it’s losing voltage, access the back of the dash fuse panel, it has to be unbolted and pulled down, if you undo some harness holders you can get decent access,check voltage at the 16 pin connector pin#16 it’s a yellow wire, I forget the excact color of connector, blue I think, there is only one 16 pin though, anyway that is output voltage to the VSS through fuse #1, it should have 12+ volts or battery voltage, if it only has 6.6 volts at that point then your problem is in the fuse panel itself, if you do have 12+ then there is a short in the wire between the fuse panel and VSS. All electrical diagnostics should be done with a good battery.
                        Sorry I misread that, 6.6 volts at fuse 1 is definitely a problem inside the fuse panel if you have no other issues with indicators in the cluster,power for fuse #1 goes through fuses #4,5a and 6 before it reaches fuse #1, pull the fuse panel completely out pop it open and find the burnt copper plate that carries voltage, or just replace it with a junkyard one. And the darn stealership says you gotta replace all this stuff,

Comment

Sorry I misread that, 6.6 volts at fuse 1 is definitely a problem inside the fuse panel if you have no other issues with indicators in the cluster,power for fuse #1 goes through fuses #4,5a and 6 before it reaches fuse #1, pull the fuse panel completely out pop it open and find the burnt copper plate that carries voltage, or just replace it with a junkyard one. And the darn stealership says you gotta replace all this stuff,

31961114_2081991728748468_6203458566850871296_n by Sam Daniel, on Flickr

31959653_2081991722081802_2586814117541052416_n by Sam Daniel, on Flickr

31948515_2081991695415138_7717735031782768640_n by Sam Daniel, on Flickr

Everything looks intact. If I can even get this clusterfuck back together

Comment

Gave up and swapped fuse boxes with my other CB7, still no speedo....

Comment

You are over complicating a simple issue. Follow the KISS rule. Keep It Simple Stupid. Check continuity on all wires, connectoer to connector. Just for the record, not saying you don't know how, you did check your meter to see what zero is right? ( put the meter on ohms, touch the leads together to see what it reads just thru the meter, if it is a + # subtract from measure resistance if - add to resistance that amount). Taking the whole fuse box apart is a total waste of time. They are NOT prone to failure.

Comment

Working...
                              X