Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Replacing head, do i need to resurface?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing head, do i need to resurface?

Here is a bit of a noob question, when changing the dead on a f22 engine, either to upgrade or replace the old one, do i have to resurface the head and or block if there wasnt an overheat?
    Does anyone else have a monthly budget of 10mm sockets or is it just me?

Originally posted by Rat View Post
    Here is a bit of a noob question, when changing the dead on a f22 engine, either to upgrade or replace the old one, do i have to resurface the head and or block if there wasnt an overheat?
    typically people do but there is actually a service limit on warpage so long as your head is within specs you don't have to.

from Helms

*If warpage is less than 0.05 mm (0.002 inches) cylinder head resurfacing not required

*if warpage is between 0.05 mm (0,002 inches) and 0.2 mm (0.008 inches) resurface cylinder head

*Maximum resurface limit is 0.2 mm (0.008 inches) based on a height of 100 mm (3.94 inches)

You would measure from corner to corner of the locating pins ( criss cross, short length and long length) and use a feeler gauge to determine clearance between the head and a straight edge held across these measuring points

Comment

Thank you, so assuming it does need to be resurfaced, what is the best way to do it?

Comment

Take it to a machine shop.

Comment

You should always have a head resurfaced at a machine shop. The less material you remove, the better. As Bunta said, there is a limit.
          Failure to ensure the surface is perfectly straight will lead to premature head gasket failure, and all the problems that come with it.

Comment

deck the head and gain all the powerrrr. i had my j35a3 heads decked and i had 240psi of compression lolol
            COUPE K24

Comment

About how much do you think it would cost? Not that I would try to cheap out Ive just never done it before.

Comment

i had a k20a2 head done, cleaned and decked for 40$. my v6 was 160 though.
                COUPE K24

Comment

That pricing isn't bad at all. What about the block itself? Does anything need to be done to it? In my case I am fixing a bent valve (timing belt broke) so I have to take the head apart to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
                    That pricing isn't bad at all. What about the block itself? Does anything need to be done to it? In my case I am fixing a bent valve (timing belt broke) so I have to take the head apart to do it.
                    The brand new specs for warpage of the block itself is 0.07 mm (0.003 inches) max. The service limit would be 0.10 mm (0.004 inches). You would measure in the same way as the cylinder head, from corner locating pin hole to corner locating pin hole (not to be confused with the oil drain holes).

Measure diagonally across, front to back and side to side. You'll need a precision straight edge as any warp in the straight edge will add inaccuracy to your measurements and given the small degree of warpage needed to be beyond service limit you need to be accurate in your measurements.

Comment

Thank you for this great information. I will probably be getting this done this week. Now one last thing while on the topic of engine heads. What is a good brand for head gaskets?

Comment

If you can find/afford one, a Helms manual for your car is invaluable, especially if you plan on doing a lot of DIY stuff or just need to know what exactly a shop will be doing.

Comment

You know, I totally forgot I had one of those... I should probably look at it

Comment

Working...
                          X