Who's got some interesting DIY ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
    ^ Reminds me. One idea I've had for a while is hiding a tiny forward-facing camera in the passenger side door mirror; like the kind used for driving in Reverse or whatever, it doesn't need to be super hi-def or anything. Changing lanes to go around slow drivers that you can't see around in the passing lane is a problem I want solved: is it worth it to jump into the slow lane and overtake at this particular moment? All it has to do is tell me if the lane is clear for a long enough distance. Because god knows if you leave any sort of gap in the fast lane to back off and see around the car in front of you, someone is going to take it and ruin things for you. A double-DIN stereo that can accept video input from something like that would be ideal.
    your a goober!
    "Self Renewed"

Comment

I always wanted to use cardboard as a template, To make a complete underbody plate cover for aerodynamics.

I also wish I had gutted te enterior and lizard skinned everything from the roof down, as well as the under body mount. to kill all noise heat and wind noise from the road.
      I'm not a fan of gutted cars like I use to be, it's not worth the whopping 10 hp equivellent
      "Self Renewed"

Comment

i'm pretty much the opposite of y'all. i HATE those automatic lights. if i can't remember to turn on the damn lights, i shouldn't be driving! also, i think that'll burn out the bulbs faster. and i HATE those screens inside new cars now! so distracting and dangerous! but....i'm still using the same maps from when i got this car before the days of gps. i like to preplan my route via map, write down directions and make stops at the gas station to check my directions. never failed me. i drive better that way. also, i haven't used ac in this car in years. no smartphone, so no need for car charging.

i would like to get a spare hood for my car, decorate it and pop it on once it's running again.

some of the fuzzy inner door material came off at the bottom, so i think i'll use some spare leopard print fabric and glue that on. the beige was so boring!

not in a rush, but i would like to convert my power windows to manual. i prefer manual.

someday, since i have a wagon, if it totally dies, i'd like to make it an electric car. good storage for the batteries in the back. i don't drive much, so it's a good option for me.

Comment

^ Speaking of DRLs (I hate them too), do some cars' gauge clusters light up automatically, without the headlights or corner lights on? It's amazing how many people I see driving around at night with NO lights on. I would think that they'd notice their cluster isn't visible.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

I was talking about lights that go on automatically when it gets dark, not DRLs. Shouldn't wear out bulbs any faster than normal use.

As for clusters lighting up without the headlights on, some do that. My Fit's cluster was always illuminated. In fact, turning the headlights on actually caused it to dim (kinda sucked in the rain during the day, when I didn't need a dim cluster.)
            I see tons of people driving with no lights in the dark these days. I don't know how they don't notice!

Comment

driving without headlights on is usually a sign of a drunk driver. a cop who told me that.

i'm not big on coming on when it gets dark either. i take my wagon to the drive in and need to be able to keep those lights off. people with the automatic headlights at the drive in are the worst, it whites out the screen.

Comment

I once stopped in a parking lot at night and turned off my headlights but left the corner lights/cluster on (can't remember what I was doing, probably phone or something). I left again, and city streets are so well lit that it was a couple miles before I noticed my main lights weren't on. So if the cluster's always on in some cars, then I can understand them not noticing that their exterior lights are off.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by ontheroad92 View Post
                  driving without headlights on is usually a sign of a drunk driver. a cop who told me that.

i'm not big on coming on when it gets dark either. i take my wagon to the drive in and need to be able to keep those lights off. people with the automatic headlights at the drive in are the worst, it whites out the screen.
                  You can override the auto lights by using the emergency brake before starting the car.
                  [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Originally posted by Crankshaft View Post
                    You can override the auto lights by using the emergency brake before starting the car.
                    I knew someone who had a 1998 Chevrolet S10 that was like this. I think it worked until he reached a certain speed, like 5 or 10mph. Does this work on most vehicles do you know? Just curious.

Comment

I like the system in my 85 Volvo. It's like any euro car of that vintage, you can leave the headlight switch in the on position, and the lights turn off with the ignition. It's great I don't even have to think about it. And if for some reason you want the headlights on without running the car, just turn the key to the (I) accessory position. Park lights of course work when the car is off.
                      1992 Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser

1986 Chevrolet C10|5.3L|SM465|Shortbed|Custom Deluxe

1983 Malibu Wagon|TPI 305|T5 5 speed|3.73 non-posi

1992 Accord Wagon (RETIRED)

Comment

I never understood why there is no law to set safety standards for DRL or headlights. In Canada I see people driving all the time with out their lights on and it's a major issue. Driving behind this old feller the other week I flashed him several times, no luck. Finally at a red light I pulled up beside him and told him his lights were off, he was surprised and said thank you! But his dash lights were bright as hell, and his DRL were bright (newer Cadillac i believe), so you can't really tell. And what they need is a big dummy light to tell you your lights are off! Or stop lighting up the whole console inside, just light up the necessities.

My 04 TSX
                        - has manual headlights and does turn the interior dash lights on when the lights are off so you can see the gauges when the sun shines on them. Nice touch. I have a dimmer switch to adjust interior lights.
                        - I have DRL so I have to remember to turn on the headlights at night. I do have accessories lights option (1 click) which turns on the tail lights but not the headlights. All seems pretty weird but i like the option. There is a light in my console to tell me when my lights are off.

09 VW Rabbit
                        - Also has manual headlights. But the headlights are always on no matter what. This button turns on the tail lights which is weird.
                        - The dimmer switch inside allows you to dim the interior console lights to complete darkness!! Always wish I had this for long drives at night.
                        - Has a interior light to tell you when your lights are off

14 Dodge Caravan
                        - Has manual headlights, same as a normal vehicle.
                        - Has a bright light in the dash that is only on when your headlights are on. This I don't understand at all, seems backwards.
                        - Interior dash lights are on no matter what, even with lights off. Easy to drive around in this vehicle with your head lights off by accident.

All vehicles should just be lights always on, or automatic headlights. But I do like the VW options of being able to turn interior lights completely off!

Comment

Many cars seem to have a light that tells you when your lights are on, but not when they're off. I agree, it makes little sense!

I think auto-headlights are probably more important as DRLs become more common (in the US... in Canada, they've been mandatory for a while, right?) In the dark, DRLs throw light from the front of the car. If you're not aware, you think your headlights are on and you go. Only when you get rear-ended do you realize the back of your car is completely dark! Or when someone doesn't see your dim DRLs approaching...
                          I occasionally see people driving totally dark cars on dark roads and highways, though most that are rolling around with their headlights off have working DRLs.

Comment

My RSX's lights work identically to a CB's. Personally, I wouldn't want it any other way. Very basic, and completely manual. That reminds me of another DIY for a CB, though. In the RSX, the high beam switch works in both directions. Pull on it to flash, like in a CB, but the switch can't also lock into position in this direction. You have to push it forward to lock your high beams on. If I don't swap over an entire RSX dash like I'm wanting, I'd at least want that two-way switch. Too many times I would flash people driving in the city with their high beams on, and it would stick. Very annoying.

Is the "lights off" indicator in the TSX and Rabbit only on when it's dark outside, or always? That light would get on my nerves in the daylight.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Originally posted by CyborgGT View Post
                              My RSX's lights work identically to a CB's. Personally, I wouldn't want it any other way. Very basic, and completely manual. That reminds me of another DIY for a CB, though. In the RSX, the high beam switch works in both directions. Pull on it to flash, like in a CB, but the switch can't also lock into position in this direction. You have to push it forward to lock your high beams on. If I don't swap over an entire RSX dash like I'm wanting, I'd at least want that two-way switch. Too many times I would flash people driving in the city with their high beams on, and it would stick. Very annoying.

Is the "lights off" indicator in the TSX and Rabbit only on when it's dark outside, or always? That light would get on my nerves in the daylight.
                              I only see the light in the dark, which is great! Part of the subtle things about Acura that makes their cars great! And I see cars every week driving with no headlights on in the dark. Black or dark cars too! Now the messed up part is you can drive behind these people for 30min flashing your lights at them and NO WAY will they clue in.........

I've done this mistake long ago when I was young and stupid but any adult doing this shouldn't be driving. It indicates you cannot operate the vehicle properly. Reminds me of a story ........

Old timer guy at work always had a 2001 Nissan SUV (old timer = can't use a computer, stuck in old ways, beyond retirement). He recently got a new Nissan SUV w/ push button start, etc. etc. In the work parking lot I heard a faint long beep sound, finally determined it was his new vehicle. Upon looking around I finally figured out that he had left the vehicle in drive, shut it off and left. His hearing isn't the best so he didn't hear the tone to advise him the vehicle was still in drive!

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                                Now the messed up part is you can drive behind these people for 30min flashing your lights at them and NO WAY will they clue in.........
                                Do you ever get the impression that in a lot of these situations, the drivers simply don't watch their mirrors? I've been behind people (... i.e. women. Sorry, ladies, but you do make it hard not to be sexist, sometimes) that obviously have their rear-view mirror pointed directly back at their face. W. T. F.

But in a story related to the quoted comment, I was once behind an Audi at night. The guy didn't have any exterior lights on, so I was high-beaming him. After a while of this, he finally turns his lights on, but then turns them right back off. What a douche.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

Working...
                                X