Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

F22A1 turbo kit installation / engine front mount issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

F22A1 turbo kit installation / engine front mount issue

Hello !

I am installing a basic turbo kit in my F22A1, but we are facing some dificulties to install due the front mount of the engine, there's not enough space to fit the turbochager, does anyone had the same problem, or a solution for this case ?

Thanks!

While I do not personally have a turbo in my car I can give you some advice from things I have read on here. There are a lot of things that you will have to take into consideration, like the physical size of the turbo, the turbo manifold, the down pipe size and direction, the clocking angle of the turbo, amongst other things. But since only you know those things a vague statement of what you can do to make more space would be, get a half rad, remove your a/c compressor and lines, as for the torque strut on the engine I believe they make a replacement aftermarket one that is just a (for better lack of words) small strut. Here is an example http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ingalls-Engi...RWzz7t&vxp=mtr

Also a little off topic, but from what I have read the f22a's have notoriously bad ring lands for boost, have you don't any other supporting mods for a turbo or are you just slapping one on and hoping for the best?

If at first you don't suceed, then skydiving is not for you.

I try not to down talk anyone, when I read my old questions I realize I was an idiot too.

Comment

What manifold and turbo are you using? Any old F22A manifold will not fit the Accord chassis unless it was designed to do so.
      My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Also if you are using a small turbo such as a 16g you will also have to notch the block.
        ~Nick~
        FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
        MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

The front engine mount is just a torque mount. It is not load-bearing. As long as your other 3 mounts are in good shape, you can safely eliminate the front mount. You'd need a pretty fancy (likely custom) manifold to be able to run the front mount in the stock location.

And yes... thumping_accord mentioned, you will need to upgrade your engine's internals if you want this thing to last more than a few weeks (months at best.) Some people get lucky with stock-block turbo F22A engines, but the majority break ring lands very quickly. As the engines are getting older, they're even more likely to break under such abuse. It's cheaper to built it right the first time than it is to repair the damage done by something breaking.

Comment

Thanks for the answers guys, in fact we just rebuilt the entire block and the head with new components on both, and the turbo that will be installed it's a small turbo, and we going to use a low pressure 0,5 bar (+/- 7,2 psi), and the car will not be used to for heavy accelerations, just for the weekends easy rides.
            Regarding the front mount, we're going to remove it, I'll check the possibility to install the small one as the example of the link suggested by @thumping_accord

Next saturday the manifold and the complete exhaust system will be done and I will post the results and pictures here.

Thanks a lot!

Comment

If you only used stock replacement internals, I still wouldn't expect it to last very long. Low boost and easy use will keep it alive longer, perhaps... but it's still likely to break. One of our most knowledgeable moderators (a professional Honda technician, now working for Honda corporate) did exactly that, using OEM internals. He got 6 months out of it before the ring lands gave out. Built properly with a decent sized turbo and quality intercooler, tuned carefully, modest boost, never abused... only 6 months. Granted, I've known guys to get a year or two out of an original high-mileage stock block after beating it to hell using junkyard parts... so anything can happen. Just be prepared for the worst.

Not using forged internals with a turbo is like saying "Don't worry. I'll pull out!"

Comment

I'm on 4 years stock block 349,xxx kms. Unsure when it was rebuilt or if it was, I'm assuming it was before I got it at 298,xxx kms. I've been at multiple boost levels 5, 7, 8, 9, 16, 17psi. Still haven't had many problems other then oil leaks here and there and my egr which was disabled f'd up and caused the car to run extremely rough, so I just deleted it and it took care of that problem. I've replaced the timing belt and water pump with gates brand. No headstuds nothing bone stock motor and it see's boost mostly every time I drive it but I don't beat the piss out of it. I've drag raced it a few times at the lower boost levels and had no problems just the egr thing and broken axle with slicks. And the mount question, as stated above just get rid of it and get some innovate or hasport solid mounts trust me they are a great upgrade. If you have any other questions you can pm me

Comment

Thanks for the advices JDMef9!
                  regarding the ECU, are you using hondata s300 ? Here in Brazil, the best choice for me it's the FuelTech FT400.

Comment

I'm running NepTune RTP via a Moates Demon in a p06

Comment

One user saying "I've been doing it for years" should not encourage you to do this. There are probably hundreds that have failed on OEM internals with turbo. Also if you are going to use a 3" exhaust you'll have to replace the front subframe along with the front mount.

Comment

Exactly. The few exceptions should not be the basis for your decision.

Comment

Few? More like THE exception. Maybe something to do with that extra clearance from wear? Regardless - that's insane that it's lasted that long man. You daily that thing? I can't imagine you do!

Comment

Working...
                          X