Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Oil light flickering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil light flickering

Hey,

I'm pretty new to owning my cb7 and so I figured I'd start here. Please let me know if this is the wrong place.

I did some reading and research, but couldn't find any posts that described the exact same issue I'm having. I found some similar, but they sounded different enough for me to make a post regarding this.

Anyways, this is my issue:

In short, my oil light is sporadically flickering. I have noticed it starts doing it only when the car has been running for a long time and has gotten pretty hot. It doesn't over-heat or anything though. Also, when this light starts to flicker, it begins to idle pretty rough. Then, if I step on the gas ever-so-slightly, the light goes away completely and the idle evens out and it goes back to humming like a bird.

It doesn't leak oil. When I check the dipstick, the oil level is on point. I don't seem to see any smoking coming from the bay or anything. And like I mentioned, it is not overheating at all. And there is NO engine light.

So I guess could someone maybe point me in the right direction on how to begin diagnosing this?

Thank you so much!!!!!

How many miles on the engine? What type and weight of oil do you use? The intent of the light is to indicate low oil pressure, which will be lowest when the engine is hot and at idle. The best scenario would be a bad oil pressure switch, but it could be low oil pressure because of a worn out oil pump or worn bearings. Best thing to do would be to actually measure the oil pressure.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Originally posted by fleetw00d View Post
      How many miles on the engine? What type and weight of oil do you use? The intent of the light is to indicate low oil pressure, which will be lowest when the engine is hot and at idle. The best scenario would be a bad oil pressure switch, but it could be low oil pressure because of a worn out oil pump or worn bearings. Best thing to do would be to actually measure the oil pressure.
      Hey thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure the miles on the engine - when I bought it, the guy said that the engine had been swapped in and he had no more info about it. I use what the cap says - 5w30.

By oil pressure switch, do you mean the oil pressure sensor? The piece that screw into the back/bottom of the block? Right above the oil filter?

I will google up how to measure oil pressure.

Comment

Yes. It is just a switch; pressure falls below a certain value and it comes on. It doesn't have a output signal that varies with the oil pressure.

Do you use synthetic oil? It doesn't thin out as much at temperature as normal oil does.
        90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
        08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Working...
        X