EXT: removing headlights/bumper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXT: removing headlights/bumper

A quick diy on removing the whole headlight bracket with corner lights and removing the bumper. I noticed most of the bumper diys have no pictures, so i just threw those pics in too.

TOOLS REQUIRED:
    12mm wrench/socket
    10mm socket/wrench
    phillips screwdriver
    at least two braincells to rub together

STEPS:

Disconect negative battery cable

BUMPER REMOVAL:

Open hood and remove grill.

Remove the screw on each bumper light and remove bumper lights circled in red.

Remove the two 12mm bolts on each bumper mount circled in red.

Remove the 12mm nut behind the headlights circled in red.

Remove the two screws on both ends of the bumper circled in red.

Pull the edge out a bit to get it over the lip of the little clip that the screws go into.

Pull off the bumper.

HEADLIGHT REMOVAL

Remove the 3 10mm bolts circled in red.

Be prepared to support the headlight and bracket. DO NOT let the headlight hang by the wires for the bulbs.

Remove the 2 10mm bolts circled in blue.

Repeat process for other side.

Hold the headlight in one hand and use the other to disconnect the plugs. (the high beam connector might be a little harder to reach so you ca just pull the whole bulb out if needed.)

The plugs that need to be unplugged. there are two for the corner light hidden, but the arrow is pointing at them.

Repeat process for other side

the corner light connectors and bulbs.

The low beam connector.

The high beam connector and bulb.

Installation is exactly reverse of removal.

Finished product.
    <-- MRT

ive never removed the screws on the inside edge of my bumper. i just pull it out.

and you did all that just to swap out clear corners for amber ones??

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

then i see my baby, suddenly I'm not crazy,
    It all makes sense when i look into her eyes

Comment

Originally posted by Quashish View Post
      ive never removed the screws on the inside edge of my bumper. i just pull it out.

and you did all that just to swap out clear corners for amber ones??
      that can also be done but the little guide clips tend to break for me when i do it that way

and no i had new 92-93 headlights and corners so i swapped out everything.

you think i did all that just to swap corners?? lol
      <-- MRT

Comment

ok makes sence. i was like .... long process haha

C-3PO's MRT USDM yo!

then i see my baby, suddenly I'm not crazy,
        It all makes sense when i look into her eyes

Comment

Two other little tips if someone else is going to be removing the bumper:
          First- I always place a large piece of cardboard or a blanket on the ground in front of the car. So when you do take the bumper and set it down, you dont scratch up the bumper.
          Second- While the bumper is off, and esp. If the grill is off, this is the perfect time to take the hose pipe and spray thru the front and from the rear to the front of the radiator. This will help your engine run cooler, and the fans do not have to run so much. This is an overlooked maintenance item on many cars.

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=178069

Comment

Did you shine your wheels just for the DIY?

Good info +rep given. A few others were asking about this, now I have a place to point them.

Seen too many rip the cover off and leave the bumper support on the car...

Comment

Originally posted by wildBill83 View Post
              Did you shine your wheels just for the DIY?

Good info +rep given. A few others were asking about this, now I have a place to point them.

Seen too many rip the cover off and leave the bumper support on the car...
              Thanks man. I appreciate it.
              <-- MRT

Comment

You shown how to remove the bumper cover but what about the actual bumper?

My Cars: 2006 Ford Freestyle - 1990 Accord EX - 2001 Accord EXV6 Coupe - 1967 Impala "Metallicar" (for the wife)

Comment

Originally posted by stevediraddo View Post
                  This process, which is the only correct way to get at the bumper and bumper cover, removes the two as a single piece. You can then unmount the cover from the bumper by removing the screws/clips shown in this photo:

Originally posted by accord4me View Post
                  There may be other screws holding them together as well, I haven't to separate the two yet.

Comment

Great write up!

Originally posted by stevediraddo View Post
                    What are you talking about?^
                    Thats the actual bumper with the cover still on...

BB6->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=200445<Summer Lover
                    BD6->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=194262<Dailey/Future AutoX
                    Mazda 6s->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201313<Wifes
                    CB7->http://cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=189108<Sold

Comment

Another tip:

When removing this nut^ remove the radiator overflow bottle. Just pull it up and it slides out of the bracket. It makes it much easier to reach/remove the nut.
                      Originally posted by deevergote
                      These cars will never be the best at anything, but they're pretty damn good at everything.

92ex CB7<-SOLD 93ex CB9shiftingshift73C10

Comment

Originally posted by AAPOQ View Post
                        Great write up!

What are you talking about?^
                        Thats the actual bumper with the cover still on...
                        WOW what a brain fart. I always pulled the cover off then pulled off the bumper via the giant hex bolts, didnt think of doing them together like this... learn something new every day!

My Cars: 2006 Ford Freestyle - 1990 Accord EX - 2001 Accord EXV6 Coupe - 1967 Impala "Metallicar" (for the wife)

Comment

Originally posted by mtnbikaah View Post
                          Another tip:

When removing this nut^ remove the radiator overflow bottle. Just pull it up and it slides out of the bracket. It makes it much easier to reach/remove the nut.
                          I just removed my battery when I pulled my bumper.
                          92 Honda Accord LX - Sold
                          2005 Nissan Altima 2.5S - Sold
                          2007 Dodge Charger SXT

Comment

easy simple write up. thanx

Comment

Working...
                            X