CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > 4th Gen-eral > Off Topic

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2018, 11:12 PM   #101
F22Chris
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,095
F22Chris is cool... so far.
Sonik - thatís why I was considering the ST in the first place. The room for improvement for the cost is astronomical compared to a LOT of other options. Sure bigger turbo will mean more power, but it puts down more torque at lower RPM than a lot of the other cars, and for overtaking and daily drivability you canít ask for more imho.

I donít need 400hp, but the option is super nice. Honestly.. 300hp/whatever torque with daily driver reliability is what Iím after. With a turbosmart BOV, bolt ons, and a tune I might be at the goal and more on torque.(bov for sound obviously). Sure a Honda is capable of that, but Iím really hating what Honda is doing with their over the top angles on appearance. The ST has better styling, lower cost, and more aftermarket support from what I can tell.

Thank you for that dyno chart, that makes me feel better about this potential decision!

Iím also completely done with reading the opinionated argument going on here so if we can keep it on topic that would be immensely appreciated guys.
__________________
F22Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 05:33 AM   #102
deevergote
Don't call me dude.
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Not New York
Posts: 40,073
deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
Quote:
Originally Posted by F22Chris View Post

Iím also completely done with reading the opinionated argument going on here so if we can keep it on topic that would be immensely appreciated guys.


Iíll delete any further comments in that little spat. Nobody benefits from that.
Have you found the right ST yet? I think the only real risk in buying one is getting one that hasnít been cared for. Theyíre like the Neon SRT4 or any turbo DSM... great cars, but finding one that some idiot kid hasnít totally ragged on may be tough. They might not be quite cheap enough for that yet, hopefully. Just be wary of any reversed modifications. You donít need a now-stock car that has been pushing 400hp for the last 30,000 miles.
__________________






deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:00 PM   #103
sonikaccord
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: In Traffic
Posts: 4,106
sonikaccord seems to have made some friends!
Luckily, the ST is newer than all of those and probably just out of reach to be really ragged on.

Looking on FB Marketplace near us, there are a handful. Even a 2017 model for $18k with 34k miles.

Another 2017 with Rotiform wheels, intercooler, BOV, exhaust, etc. for $22k with 20k miles. I've mentioned before that I would never buy a modded car again, but maybe your tastes are different?
__________________
sonikaccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 02:41 PM   #104
Crankshaft
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Spring Tx
Posts: 438
Crankshaft is cool... so far.
Send a message via Yahoo to Crankshaft
I remember when my brother was modifying his MS3, apparently nobody sells a full fuel pump for those things and instead he had to buy the internal upgrades and tear it apart to rebuild himself. I know I already mentioned that maybe but given how they are almost the same car(everything under the Mazda reads FoMoCo) I had to bring it up again. Honestly cars should be bought based on personal taste or need as not everyone has the same of the previous, I have stopped trying to give input or advise because someone always disagree and turns into a who is right contest that I do not need or care for, at 32 I am done trying to prove anyone right or wrong😉. If you want Chris I can look around here, we visit dealerships daily and MAYBE I can find something worth looking at.
__________________
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:04 PM   #105
verothacamaro
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 838
verothacamaro is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to verothacamaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by F22Chris View Post
Sonik - thatís why I was considering the ST in the first place. The room for improvement for the cost is astronomical compared to a LOT of other options. Sure bigger turbo will mean more power, but it puts down more torque at lower RPM than a lot of the other cars, and for overtaking and daily drivability you canít ask for more imho.

I donít need 400hp, but the option is super nice. Honestly.. 300hp/whatever torque with daily driver reliability is what Iím after. With a turbosmart BOV, bolt ons, and a tune I might be at the goal and more on torque.(bov for sound obviously). Sure a Honda is capable of that, but Iím really hating what Honda is doing with their over the top angles on appearance. The ST has better styling, lower cost, and more aftermarket support from what I can tell.

Thank you for that dyno chart, that makes me feel better about this potential decision!

Iím also completely done with reading the opinionated argument going on here so if we can keep it on topic that would be immensely appreciated guys.
The torque is absurd in this car, for better or worse. You'll pass anything on the highway with almost no issue, but you'll shred your tires at any speed under 25mph.

It's a stout platform and I abuse my car on a daily basis. It has held up a hell of a lot better than either of my Acuras lol.
__________________
14 Ford Focus ST - stock(ish) - E30 Tune + Green Filter =
verothacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 07:56 PM   #106
AccordWarrior
Guy Smiley
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,786
AccordWarrior is very helpful AccordWarrior is very helpful AccordWarrior is very helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonikaccord View Post
Luckily, the ST is newer than all of those and probably just out of reach to be really ragged on.

Looking on FB Marketplace near us, there are a handful. Even a 2017 model for $18k with 34k miles.

Another 2017 with Rotiform wheels, intercooler, BOV, exhaust, etc. for $22k with 20k miles. I've mentioned before that I would never buy a modded car again, but maybe your tastes are different?
Rotiform and BOV would make me nervous. Maybe I'm showing my age, but aren't Rotiform a bit bro for wheels? I mean that's not to say some aren't good looking wheels (I dig their M1 wheel knockoff) but I'd be tempted to think that would equal a car that's seen a bunch of rev til it blows off all the time type driving.

I suppose you could meet the owner and get a feel for the car as well.
AccordWarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 08:31 PM   #107
sonikaccord
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: In Traffic
Posts: 4,106
sonikaccord seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
Originally Posted by verothacamaro View Post
It's a stout platform and I abuse my car on a daily basis. It has held up a hell of a lot better than either of my Acuras lol.
Driven hard or abused? I think that term may be used in the wrong context here. I'd pick a car that's been redlined, clutch dumped, wheel hopped all over the city by a caring owner, versus one that's been neglected and ignored by a reckless owner.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...73993506071131

Yeah, it fits in "bro" category. If Vero can explain how much abuse his car has taken, I'd shoot him an offer.
__________________
sonikaccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:09 AM   #108
verothacamaro
Contributing Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 838
verothacamaro is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to verothacamaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonikaccord View Post
Driven hard or abused? I think that term may be used in the wrong context here. I'd pick a car that's been redlined, clutch dumped, wheel hopped all over the city by a caring owner, versus one that's been neglected and ignored by a reckless owner.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...73993506071131

Yeah, it fits in "bro" category. If Vero can explain how much abuse his car has taken, I'd shoot him an offer.
You're correct. I misspoke.

I drive my car hard, but I seldom redline it or launch it.

But I'm in boost all the time and I row through the gears like a trucker through the Rocky Mountains.

I also run low boost during the summer to mitigate knock at WOT. It's still loads of fun even at 15psi (high boost is 22psi).

With that being said - I don't do anything special to the car. I get free oil changes through my dealer so they use Motorcraft (Ford) semi-synthetic oil every 7000 miles. I've never felt the need to do anything special for maintenance outside of brake replacements, tire changes, and gear oil changes.

I never wash the car either so the paint is in immaculate condition with no swirl marks.

The only issue with the car is the front strut bearings are making a slight knocking noise when braking at low speeds and sharp turns at low speeds, but that's an easy fix that doesn't affect performance or handling.

The car is probably worth $13k as it sits. A dealer would probably offer $11k trade in and I expect the car to be at the very tail end of the depreciation curve.

*edit*

The ST depreciates a lot. Never pay MSRP if buying new. I was able to get my 2014 ST3 (top trim) for $26k OTD even though the MSRP was $31k. Used or CPO will net you the best deal.
__________________
14 Ford Focus ST - stock(ish) - E30 Tune + Green Filter =

Last edited by verothacamaro; 07-11-2018 at 10:12 AM.
verothacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:14 PM   #109
F22Chris
CB7tuner Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,095
F22Chris is cool... so far.
Jesse thatís above and beyond anything Iíd ask of you, and I seriously appreciate you willing to do that for me, man. What Iím going to do is be patient with this, and wait for a competing dealership to have a decent one for a steal. Like we spoke about before, thatís the cheapest CPO option when it comes to price.

$17k budget is proving difficult, but I WILL find one with 30k or less miles Iím sure of it.

The first thing Iíd do is sell those wheels and put it towards some fifteen52ís
__________________
F22Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.