Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Exactly what services/parts do I need done on an f22a1 engine rebuild?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exactly what services/parts do I need done on an f22a1 engine rebuild?

Hello all,

I just pulled out the engine on my 92 LX. I have purchased a used transmission from hmotorsonline.

I am having my uncle, my mechanic, ask a machine shop for a quote on rebuilding the engine. He got a quote from said shop for $1500 complete.

My problem is, I don't know what I should ask if that includes. I have been searching (what does an engine rebuild consist of site:cb7tuner.com) and have found a few answers ranging from replacing just new bearings seals and rings and possibly sensors (since there was some issue with honda sensors ?), at the minimum, to vams, valves, springs, pistons, rods for more performance rebuilds.

I need to know exactly what work/parts should be done/replaced at that price and if it is a good price.

I undertook this rebuild by recommendation here, and I also would like to know if I'm going about this the right way? Am I supposed to be doing some things specific myself and letting a shop do the stuff I shouldn't be able to do? If so what are those things?

Most guys said it is nice to gain the experience by getting hands on, so was that just taking the motor out and taking things apart or am I supposed to be doing more?

I will continue to search and read as I wait for responses, but any help in the mean time is appreciated. Not that anyone has been following, but I've been waiting since winter to get this project going and the time has finally arrived so I'm a little eager to get this show on the road.

I made another thread regarding different options I was considering at the beginning and I have to keep telling myself I"m committed to keeping the f22a1, although the only thing I have spent money on so far has been the automatic tranny for it. It seems that the costs are getting dangerously close to some of the more performance options though and I'm starting to ask myself if its worth all the trouble to keep it stock like I wanted...

Thanks again for any help and of course let me know if I need to provide any more info.

Honestly, if you have the time and tools to do it yourself, the only thing you would need to do is to send the engine block and crank to the machine shop to be machined. Everything else you can do yourself. I redid my first accord with an F22 and it took me three days after work to do everything. the longest part was waiting onthe machine shop to machine the cylinders and the crank. It saved me abotu 800 bucks. Any Chiltons manual shoudl be able to help you out if you decide. God luck on whatever you choose..
    Procrastination is a THIEF of time!!

MY MRT

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=203992

My First CB7

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/705233/1990-honda-accord/

Comment

Originally posted by dahubby View Post
      Honestly, if you have the time and tools to do it yourself, the only thing you would need to do is to send the engine block and crank to the machine shop to be machined. Everything else you can do yourself.
      What exactly would I be doing myself and what tools would I need? If I don't have said tools, what would I be paying a shop $800 more for?

Comment

The BEST thing you can do for yourself is to head over to www.helminc.com and buy the factory service manual for your car. You'll get a list of all parts needed, detailed instructions for dis-assembly and reassembly, all clearances and torque specs, and all specialized tools needed (which you can get from Honda, buy aftermarket, or get creative and use different tools.)

Even the most experienced, well-meaning person here is likely to leave something out, or get something wrong. Having that manual will be a million times more effective than any help you'll get on here, and it will make your life much MUCH easier.
        Any specific questions... questions that aren't asking for a comprehensive list of parts and instructions to do an engine rebuild... can be answered on here easily and accurately.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
          The BEST thing you can do for yourself is to head over to www.helminc.com and buy the factory service manual for your car. You'll get a list of all parts needed, detailed instructions for dis-assembly and reassembly, all clearances and torque specs, and all specialized tools needed (which you can get from Honda, buy aftermarket, or get creative and use different tools.)

Even the most experienced, well-meaning person here is likely to leave something out, or get something wrong. Having that manual will be a million times more effective than any help you'll get on here, and it will make your life much MUCH easier.
          Any specific questions... questions that aren't asking for a comprehensive list of parts and instructions to do an engine rebuild... can be answered on here easily and accurately.
          I looked this up and found a 92 Accord 4 DOOR (mine is a coupe) owner's manual for $24 (there's also a shop manual for 75 bones). Is that what you are referring to?

So, when I finally get this book is it going to have a section that starts out:

So, you've decided to rebuild your engine. Here is a list of all things that should be replaced and all the work you can do on your own...And here is a list of all the tools you will need...And this is about how much a shop should charge, should you decide not to undertake this task yourself...?
          Last edited by mrstix; 07-07-2014, 03:40 PM. Reason: more info from suggested helm site

Comment

Pretty much. It's not going to be "engine rebuilding for dummies", but it's going to tell you everything you need to know, with very clear illustrations.

The $75 shop manual is probably the one I'm referring to. The Helm manual I'm suggesting isn't cheap, but it's one of the most valuable tools you could ever buy. Since you're planning such an extensive project, having that manual will end up paying for itself. It gets expensive fumbling your way through major projects with nothing but the internet and perhaps a Haynes or Chiltons manual to guide you.

Here, I did the work for you. Buy this:
            http://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-Honda-A...86c611&vxp=mtr

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              Pretty much. It's not going to be "engine rebuilding for dummies", but it's going to tell you everything you need to know, with very clear illustrations.

The $75 shop manual is probably the one I'm referring to. The Helm manual I'm suggesting isn't cheap, but it's one of the most valuable tools you could ever buy. Since you're planning such an extensive project, having that manual will end up paying for itself. It gets expensive fumbling your way through major projects with nothing but the internet and perhaps a Haynes or Chiltons manual to guide you.

Here, I did the work for you. Buy this:
              http://www.ebay.com/itm/1992-Honda-A...86c611&vxp=mtr
              Okay, thanks for the link. $46 net still ain't cheap but it's probably worth. But honestly, I believe my uncle is suggesting I don't go that route and have the shop do as much as possible. So, still, what should I have the shop do and about how much should it cost? I realize this is a diy oriented forum but I am still hoping someone out there had a shop do most of the engine work and replaced the outside stuff (water pump, belts, etc) themselves and can tell me about how much I should pay for that. If nothing else for reference.

However, if you are truly stressing that it can't be more easy and cost efficient to do it myself I will continue with ordering that book and giving it the ol' best shot. Really, it's up to my uncle. I doubt he will have the tools to do it, and maybe just doesn't want to spend that time helping me. He is the one with the garage/car port and the space to do the work, so out of respect to him, it is really his call.

Thanks again.

Comment

I was going to ask why you didn't purchase an F22A with your transmission, but after having a look on their website, and for 985+shipping, it seems more logical to do it yourself and have a brand new engine basically.

But as Deev said, the factory manual is your best bet, it'll have all the specs and diagrams in some instances that'll show you how to assemble everything.

I got mine locally on craigslist for 20 bucks. Its really beat up, cover's falling off, but it's saved me countless times when i was scratching my head trying to figure out how to replace a few parts and rebuild a couple.

member's ride thread
                93' EX Coupe H22A w/ P2T4 Sir 5spd 191whp 155 wtq
                99' Lexus LS400 157k VVTi V8 gets up & goes...new DD
                91 Accord SE 176k
                97' Honda Odyssey 199k miles...$485 spare van for my parents

Comment

Honestly, it's not something you can't do yourself as long as you get the proper tools. Just don't use the absolute cheapest tools available... doesn't have to be top line, but don't use cheap junk for anything that requires precision. The proper tools (that manual included) usually aren't cheap, but it will still be cheaper than paying a professional in most cases. If you have the time and space to do an engine rebuild, the learning experience alone will be worth the cost. The intimate knowledge that you'll gain of your engine (and everything connected to it) will help greatly in diagnosing and fixing future problems... on this car, and on future cars.
                  Many of the necessary tools you'd need can be borrowed, either from autoparts stores, or from mechanically-oriented friends and family. Some tools are better purchased, as you'll be using them often in the future. The only things you should expect to pay someone to do for you will be the machine work. Honing or boring the cylinders, shaving the head if it's not 100&#37; flat... You CAN do these things yourself, but those are things I'd take to a professional myself. A little extra reassurance is always good... and those sorts of things are much better when left to people with experience and the correct precision tools. Everything else is is just a matter of reading, understanding, measuring, and assembling.

If you don't have the time, space, and/or desire to tackle the rebuild, then going to a pro can be good. However, choose your professional carefully. There are some mechanics out there that halfass everything... and a lot of them don't really take cheap old cars such as ours very seriously. Especially cheap old cars owned by younger people (and I get the impression that you're not a grumpy old man like me... )
                  Do your research on whatever mechanic you choose. Don't let price be the primary deciding factor. You're more likely to get a hack mechanic for a low price than you are for a higher one... BUT, still be sure to shop around and go with one you're certain you can trust. Keep in mind that the opinions of friends and family might not always be valid... because they probably don't know enough about their cars to know whether or not their mechanic did a good job, or ripped them off. It's not too difficult to fix something "for now", and please a lot of people!
                  It would still be in your best interest to pick up that manual and familiarize yourself with the process. You'll do better in choosing a good mechanic if you know the right questions to ask, and you can understand when he explains technical things to you. It'll also help reduce the chances that a mechanic will try to halfass something, if he thinks you know enough to catch him.

DIY or pro, I suggest OEM parts for all the internals. Don't mess around with cheap junk that will require ANOTHER rebuild if it fails!

Comment

Working...
                  X