No announcement yet.

Ralphie : 2013 Honda Accord EX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

40K is actually surprisingly low, no need to use OEM pieces again, huh? What's the desirable setup for these cars? Shockingly the NAPA Gold rotors were huge in the Subaru world, and one of the go-to setups for the STi. I had an issue getting my head around using NAPA rotors over the OEM Brembos, but I never ended up replacing the rotors before I sold the car.

I've got drilled/slotted rotors on the Vette (the brand is escaping me, but I remember them being a known brand, PowerSlot or the like) and I honestly don't really care for them compared to other rotors I've used. They're a bit noisy for what they are.

Comment

Originally posted by AccordWarrior View Post
      40K is actually surprisingly low, no need to use OEM pieces again, huh? What's the desirable setup for these cars? Shockingly the NAPA Gold rotors were huge in the Subaru world, and one of the go-to setups for the STi. I had an issue getting my head around using NAPA rotors over the OEM Brembos, but I never ended up replacing the rotors before I sold the car.

I've got drilled/slotted rotors on the Vette (the brand is escaping me, but I remember them being a known brand, PowerSlot or the like) and I honestly don't really care for them compared to other rotors I've used. They're a bit noisy for what they are.
      I have seen a lot of guys posting on the FB forum that they have warped rotors and issues with vibration at hard stops.

On mine, when im doing highway speeds and I quickly need to slow down(not locking them up), I get vibrations through the steering wheel.

I have been so busy I have not had time to pull the wheels and see what they look like but I know I replaced my 2002 Accord pads/rotors right before I sold the car and it was painless so I figured id just replace them anyway.

Last time I used powerstop pads/rotors and they were kind of loud but I sold the car soon after.

Not sure what most people use on these. I would go OEM again but I am not sure if there is an issue that is causing people to have problems using OEM stuff.

Comment

Wow, last post was Jan lol.

Nothing to report.

Two kids under the age of 5, a new house, the car payments for my wifes truck, and odds and ends, and I have no money to do anything.

Did a big service 3 weeks ago. She has 53k now. No major issues or complaints.

I still want to trade this in for a 6-6, but the time is not right lol.

I also think I want to get a Porsche 944 as a project car(since you can find many under 10k)

I guess we'll see.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
          I have seen a lot of guys posting on the FB forum that they have warped rotors and issues with vibration at hard stops.

On mine, when im doing highway speeds and I quickly need to slow down(not locking them up), I get vibrations through the steering wheel.

I have been so busy I have not had time to pull the wheels and see what they look like but I know I replaced my 2002 Accord pads/rotors right before I sold the car and it was painless so I figured id just replace them anyway.

Last time I used powerstop pads/rotors and they were kind of loud but I sold the car soon after.

Not sure what most people use on these. I would go OEM again but I am not sure if there is an issue that is causing people to have problems using OEM stuff.
          Did you ever fix the brakes?

The vibrating issue is well known on the last 4 or 5 generations of Honda product. In an effort to minimize brake dust, they changed the pad compound. The downside is that apparently, they leave deposits on the rotors that cause the shimmy when you stop (most notable when you stop hard). There are a couple of different solutions.

You can stick with the stock stuff and just machine the rotors every 20-50K (depending on how you brake)
          or

You can put a set of more aggressive pads on it. A switch to something like EBC Greenstuff works and you don't get a lot of extra noise or need high temps to get good braking, but you do get a little bit of dust in return. I have even heard of this pad swap taking the pad material off of rotors that already have the vibration and correcting it, though I haven't tried that personally.
          The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

Originally posted by owequitit View Post
            Did you ever fix the brakes?

The vibrating issue is well known on the last 4 or 5 generations of Honda product. In an effort to minimize brake dust, they changed the pad compound. The downside is that apparently, they leave deposits on the rotors that cause the shimmy when you stop (most notable when you stop hard). There are a couple of different solutions.

You can stick with the stock stuff and just machine the rotors every 20-50K (depending on how you brake)
            or

You can put a set of more aggressive pads on it. A switch to something like EBC Greenstuff works and you don't get a lot of extra noise or need high temps to get good braking, but you do get a little bit of dust in return. I have even heard of this pad swap taking the pad material off of rotors that already have the vibration and correcting it, though I haven't tried that personally.
            So busy commenting in your own thread, I forgot about mine LMAO.

Nah. I have a set of Powerstop rear drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic pads sitting in my garage. Powerstop does not make a front set for my 2013 ex.

Like an idiot, I bought them from Amazon before checking Powerstops site. I assumed that Amazon just didn't have the fronts, and id get them somewhere else. Well turns out, they don't even make them.

Instead of returning the powerstops(had them on my 2002 Accord, they were Ok), I am just going to get a different brand for the front brakes. I don't think it matters if you go with two different brands for rotors/pads like it would for say tires or spark plugs.

SO when I finally buy a front kit, and the weather here warms up, ill be installing them.

I need 4 new tires BAD. I might go to Costco before March 1st...they have Gforce Comp2's for around $89 a tire. I think total cost was like $397. That's pretty good imo. Tires are rated well.

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie View Post
              So busy commenting in your own thread, I forgot about mine LMAO.

Nah. I have a set of Powerstop rear drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic pads sitting in my garage. Powerstop does not make a front set for my 2013 ex.

Like an idiot, I bought them from Amazon before checking Powerstops site. I assumed that Amazon just didn't have the fronts, and id get them somewhere else. Well turns out, they don't even make them.

Instead of returning the powerstops(had them on my 2002 Accord, they were Ok), I am just going to get a different brand for the front brakes. I don't think it matters if you go with two different brands for rotors/pads like it would for say tires or spark plugs.

SO when I finally buy a front kit, and the weather here warms up, ill be installing them.

I need 4 new tires BAD. I might go to Costco before March 1st...they have Gforce Comp2's for around $89 a tire. I think total cost was like $397. That's pretty good imo. Tires are rated well.
              LOL.

Well unfortunately, as we have discussed in my thread, the brakes on these are just undersized. Honda has done that for a long time too to keep unsprung weight down, but seriously, I would rather have the stopping power. I didn't have nearly the trouble with it on the Si and I think it's because the brakes were bigger, the car was a lot lighter and not as fast. Not sure what Honda was thinking with the brakes on this thing. Also not sure why the EX-L V6 MMC didn't get the same bigger brakes that they put on the Sport and the Touring. Because the Sport with its 4 banger definitely needs bigger brakes than a V6 6-Speed. LOL. Under an 18" they could fit another 1"-1.5" of brakes easy, if not 2". In contrast, the GTI comes with 13.4" rotors and it is still several hundred pounds lighter.

I don't think there is an issue with different rotors, especially since the fronts on these do the vast majority of the braking.
              The OFFICIAL how to add me to your ignore list thread!

Comment

i have centric slotted rotors and ebc red pads on my 6/6. works well. my oem rotors were blue in spots hahaha.
                COUPE K24

Comment

Working...
                X