Body Shop Repair Aftermath HELP!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Body Shop Repair Aftermath HELP!

Recently I was backed into while parked in parking lot while not in the car.
    Short story short after hassling with the owner for about over a month they finally decided to pay for my repair but the cheapest quote in town. Insurance was a no go option.

Basically the damage caused to me was all relatively on the passenger front side area:

1) Cracked passenger headlight lense & housing.
    2) Cracks in paint in front bumper cover (painted in summer 2012, no cracks in bumper) on top portion above black trim on bumper and below black bumper trim on passenger side. And scuff marks and scratches on black bumper trim.
    3) Dent in hood above headlight with cracked paint areas on hood.
    4) Dent on passenger fender.

The quote I received is below.
    The other party was struggling to pay the such a large fee of $1366.28. -_-
    And I just wanted it fixed.

I told the body shop manager that I can bring in a passenger headlight to be installed and that the front bumper cover was fully refinished and repainted in summer 2012. They knocked the price down to $800 tax in which seems VERY VERY unusual. But the body shop manager said they would repaint the hood, fender, and bumper though at that price. They did mark this down in writing on a later quote copy, not the one below.

From this quote what do you understand should of done on the car?

From what I see is:
    1) Front bumper cover should be blended and refinished (what the hell does this mean?).
    2) Headlight replaced and aimed correctly.
    3) Hood repaired and refinished.
    4) Fender repaired and refinished.

What does the message on the 2nd page mean "INCLUDES 0.6 HOURS FIRST PANEL TWO-STAGE ALLOWANCE"?

-----------

So I e-mailed the body shop manager two days before bringing my car in for the work to confirm that I will be bringing in the light and that they would repaint the hood, fender, and bumper as they said when speaking to them.
    I never received a reply. Two days later I come to drop off the car and the body shop manager is sick and one of the workers goes over the quote with me and we go over that I have the headlight supplied in the cabin, and that they would repaint the hood, fender, and bumper. I left the car there and came to pick it up 4 days later.

-----------

So what repairs actually commenced was:

1) Bottom half of front bumper cover was masked off and not touched (cracks in paint was left untouched). Top portion above the bumper trim was lightly buffed and lightly painted over and clearcoated. Matches the lower half of the bumper on the left side (non hit area) but on right side you can clearly see the line where the masked off.
    2) Headlight was installed but bulb was never swapped from old housing to new housing, low beam power connector was stuck between the mounted headlight bracket and radiator support and not connected (thus no low beams), and the corner turn signal light was never installed.
    3) The hood dent was repaired and hood seems like overall it was buffed and clearcoated to appear new from afar. But when you get close you can see that no basecoat was fully applied on the hood (previous rock chips and scratches are still visable).
    4) The fender dent was repaired and fender seems like overall it was buffed and clearcoated to appear new from afar. But when you get close you can see that no basecoat was fully applied on the hood (previous rock chips and scratches are still visable).

-----------

So right now I'm basically trying to figure out what needs to be done and the body shop is giving me a hard time and they are saying I'm wrong on what I think needs to be done.

Basically in laymans terms:

1) Wasn't the front bumper cover supposed to be fully refinished? (What is blend refinish?)
    2) They agree on the light issues and will fix them.
    3) They are saying that the whole hood should not be repainted but only the damaged areas while it says "Repair" and "Refinish" on the quote for the hood.
    4) They are saying that the whole fender should not be repainted but only the damaged areas while it says "Repair" and "Refinish" on the quote for the fender.

Please help me out and try to understand this all, because in reality I think I'm getting fucked in the ass!
    Last edited by CB7Nub; 01-08-2013, 02:57 AM.
    Current:
    2007 Acura TL Type-S 6MT KBP

Past:
    1992 Honda Accord EX-R Sedan - RIP
    1991 Honda Accord EX-R Wagon - RIP 10/14/2010

Words change lives. You just got to choose the right ones.

Instagram: @CB7Nub

Check out the more active "CB7Tuner Canada" Facebook group for CANADIAN members ONLY.

They quoted you for "patch work" not full painting of the parts damaged .What they were gonna do is fix the damaged area and blend(match) the paint as close as they can to the original paint.And the "refinishing " is the new clearcoat they threw on over the fixed areas(or possibly the whole panel).I dont think they ever had the intentions of repainting anything. You just paid $800 for dent removal and touch ups.

Comment

Yep that sounds correct, They only repaired the damaged areas.
      That is pretty normal to do.
      They havn't ripped you off by doing that - Think about, why should the person who damaged your vehicle have to pay for all your stone chips to be repaired too?

Blending is when the repair is done, and then the newly painted area is blended into the surrounding areas.
      Last edited by evil_demon_01; 01-08-2013, 04:29 AM.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

was was insurance a no go???

i would never let somebody do a side deal with me.
        ..[CB7][STAR]..
        MY MEMBERS RIDE THREAD

Comment

seems kinda expensive. I know a few shops here in Nova Scotia that will paint a whole car, dent fixes and all for around $1000.
          My FB Page - http://www.facebook.com/hellaflush3d

My 3D Work --> http://samauripizzacats.deviantart.com/

Comment

F that! Someone backs into my car, heads will roll. They shouldnt be driving if they cant afford the insurance to pay for the damages.

Comment

Originally posted by Lynx View Post
              seems kinda expensive. I know a few shops here in Nova Scotia that will paint a whole car, dent fixes and all for around $1000.
              The only shops around here that will do that are the cheapies like Maaco... though I've had nice paintjobs done by them.

Comment

Maaco has painted a couple of my friends' cars real nice for about a grand too. That's where I'll go when i want to get my bodywork.
                10th Anniversary Accord.
                05 Audi A4 Ultra Sport 6MT.

Comment

I was VERY dissatisfied with Maaco's bodywork... but the spraying worked out fairly well for what it was.

Comment

most people are correct. Blending is not repairing a panel and repainting the whole thing.. but rather just taking care of the damaged section. I see Lawrence do this all the time at his shop. You will for sure see the differences in the paint, especially if your someone that pays close attention to detail (and I know you do ).

you said that they jotted it down later on a different copy saying that the hood, fender and bumper would be painted, correct? If thats the scenario and they did not mention blending, you might have somewhat of a case. At the same time.. its still on paper saying that they were going to blend.

They got you, they had you under the assumption that the panels would get painted completely but only blended it. bummer.

As for the lines and cracks on the bumper, tell them this is not repaired and not finished. If you can see that body work was done, its not satisfactory and I would take it back. Use the whole headlight issue as some elbow grease for getting them to do some repairs. You have to go back to have them do what they should have done the first time, your wasting your time and its not fair.
                    Last edited by trinistylez; 01-08-2013, 09:17 PM.
                    Everyday is one day closer to completing my cb7 <3

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                      I was VERY dissatisfied with Maaco's bodywork... but the spraying worked out fairly well for what it was.
                      trick is do all your own bodywork, blocking and priming. Mask the car the way you want, remove lights etc, and have it towed to them for the presidential. this is how you achieve satisfactory results from them on the cheap

OP what you should have done is called the police filed a report then fix all the stuff yourself and find a new spot to park =]

Comment

Absolutely.
                        I mean, the cheap places CAN do a decent job of prepping... but you'll pay for it. Go to a good Maaco, pay what you would at a "real" body shop, and you'll probably get a very similar result.

Comment

No legit shop would not clear the whole bumper..

Say the passenger side was damaged.
                          They would fix the damaged section
                          Paint ONLY the damaged section
                          Clear the WHOLE bumper

Same with the hood etc..

Every thing gets cleared until a break..

They should of quoted you to fix the whole bumper and give you a option to pay the difference..

and
                          Last edited by ChIoVnIdCa; 01-08-2013, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X