Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

Civic Popularity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Civic Popularity?

How is it these cars became so popular in the import/street racing crowd. I know there is more aftermarket stuff for them and are cheaper NOW, but it's because they became popular. I would think before the Civic was popular our Accords had the same amount of aftermarket support and would cost the same. Accords have more power to begin with, though heavier, but the Civic was the street racer's. Was it a movie, or someone built up a power horse and others tried to follow? I am curious, what are your thoughts?
    Be unique, like every other person.

CB7 Sold________________________E34 Sold________________________E39 Current

Compared to our cars.... I don't know. Parts are cheaper, since the b series motors are really common. There is more information on them, both good and bad. Deevergote keeps a tight watch on information being spread around. There aren't as many deev's in the civic world, and on the forums. They have a lot more good look models than the accords. Personally, I really only like the 4th gens and 6th gen accord coupes. That's really it. On the civics, though, I like the Ef sedans and hatches, the Del Sol and eg hatch, and the ek hatch. I also like the ep3, and the civic si sedan. I feel like a big part of the dick riding, if you were to call it that, is that since they are common and relatively simple cars, they have a reputation, and they have grown ridiculously. Honda's are cheaper to work on overall, and are in abundance. Especially civics. Those are some points.

edit: I actually wrestled with the idea of getting a civic instead of my accord, because I thought it would be cheaper and easier to have a civic. They are lighter, cheaper, and I could actually get one with a B swap. haha. But, I decided to be different and stick it out with the accord. I'm slowly falling in love with them. Edit: I'm actually probably gonna get an ep3 for graduation in a year. My mom told me te other day that she will probably get me another Honda if she can. Only newer car I like.
    Last edited by honda2014; 05-30-2013, 02:47 AM.
    Originally posted by Quashish
    hahaha

noobs be like where to be buying hella flush yo?

Comment

Civics were popular because they were fast and sporty.
      They were lighter and had more power.

The Lowest rated B16A made 150HP, That is a 10HP more than the highest powered stock CB.
      Then combine that with the weight difference, and the end result is they ARE faster and sportier.

Nuff said really.

Car Safety / General Servicing Checks --------Basic suspension checks

My 5.7 LS1 Holden Ute

A "Finished" project car is never finished until its been sold.

If at first you don't succeed, Try again. Don't give up too easily, persistance pays off in the end.

Comment

Civics had performance support from Honda themselves (SiR models abroad, and Si's in America), while they put the Accord out as a relative luxury car. In the early days Civics had an amazing suspension setup compared to most other cars on the market. The only reason even the fourth-gen Prelude didn't catch on I think was because it was so expensive, and it also happened to be a heavy luxury car, despite being a quite capable sports car. We, the modern Accord enthusiasts, have the boat of the family with an engine whose true potential was only just recently discovered thanks to companies like Bisimoto. H-swaps weren't even known possible until, what, 2000 or so? I think, given time, these older Accords will gain a lot more 'real' aftermarket support as long as interest in the chassis keeps growing.
        Last edited by CyborgGT; 05-30-2013, 04:17 AM.

Accord Aero-R

Comment

The way I see it, most honda guys just want to be a part of the scene and go no further than lowering their car and bolting up an intake and header. That being said working on civics is a lot easier than an accord. Not to mention they have hondatech where they can look up diys and ask however many hella jdm questions as they desire. It takes a certain kinda person to stick with an accord. Sure they are heavier and they'll never be as fast with same mods yada yada yada. I still think accords have way more soul and I'm willing to lug around the extra weight bc the accord just feels like home. Don't get me wrong I'd road race the heck out of a little hatch back on the weekends, but the CB would still be the main I'd go back to for the rest of the week.

Comment

Originally posted by honda2014 View Post
            keeps a tight watch on information being spread around. There aren't as many deev's in the civic world, and on the forums.
            What's that supposed to mean?

Originally posted by honda2014
            They are lighter, cheaper, and I could actually get one with a B swap. haha.
            I disagree. If you are looking at the older generation Civics that came with B16s and B18s, they tend to cost more because of the "street-racer hype" about them. Find an Accord of similar equipment and you're bound to save some cash.

Then, if you goto the modern Accords vs modern Civics; Accords are going to come with K24s or J32s and J35s from the factory. Getting a K powered Civic means only the Si, and I hope I don't have to tell you how inflated those prices are.

Originally posted by Junior Smurff
            The way I see it, most honda guys just want to be a part of the scene and go no further than lowering their car and bolting up an intake and header. That being said working on civics is a lot easier than an accord.
            I think you'd have a hard time justifying that intakes suspension are super hard on an Accord vs a Civic, they are both PITAs in their own right; but depending on the quality of the aftermarket piece, Civics generally are higher whereas as manufacturers of Accord parts are pretty reasonable.

Originally posted by Junior Smurff
            Not to mention they have hondatech where they can look up diys and ask however many hella jdm questions as they desire.
            Which "hella jdm" question can we answer for you today?
            '94 JDM H22A: 178whp 146wtq

Originally posted by deevergote
            If you say double dutch rudder, i'm banning you...

Comment

Originally posted by Joey GT-R View Post
              What's that supposed to mean?
              It means that a lot of bs information is passed around by civic owners, especially the ricers who are less experienced. I've been mislead by info on Honda-tech, Super Honda, etc. Because they are broader and less controlled, things that deev would warn people about, which is usually cheap or unsafe parts, and half a**ing a job, is overlooked.

I disagree. If you are looking at the older generation Civics that came with B16s and B18s, they tend to cost more because of the "street-racer hype" about them. Find an Accord of similar equipment and you're bound to save some cash.

Then, if you goto the modern Accords vs modern Civics; Accords are going to come with K24s or J32s and J35s from the factory. Getting a K powered Civic means only the Si, and I hope I don't have to tell you how inflated those prices are.
              I disagree somewhat. Newer civics are definitely pricier than accords, especially the Si's. But the EF, EG, and EK civics are not more expensive than accords. Being outdated to the general public, you can pick up unabused runs relatively cheaply, although you do have your sellers who know what they have. In my area, I have found numerous CRX's, Del Sol's, and many 2 and 4 door civics with b series swaps(most being in better body and paint shape than my car), and other miscellaneous modification to them for about $1000 more than my car. I payed $1500 for my cb7, and taking into consideration the money for a proper H22 swap, with bolt ons and such, the price for a civic is much lower. And that is due to their abundance.
              Originally posted by Quashish
              hahaha

noobs be like where to be buying hella flush yo?

Comment

But do you find it odd that the base engine in the cb (F22A1) is about as powerful as the base 8th generation Civic engine (R18?). So already we have saved $6000 and are still putting about the same power given the F22A is healthy which is cheap enough to fix. When it comes to the SI, 190hp is not bad but like Joey said the Accord has the V6 and if I'm not mistaken thats ~240hp. I guess the Civic is "sportier" but I have always loved the boxy look like E30s, and I know this is far off, 1st gen Mustsngs.

Comment

An 8thGen Civic weighs about the same as a CB7 so 140hp is plentiful. And if you found an EP3 I'm quite positive you could find an Accord V6 Coupe/Sedan for roughly the same price that hasn't been beaten on or riced out, and will win easily off the line with raw torque.

Comment

An 8thGen Civic weighs about the same as a CB7 so 140hp is plentiful. And if you found an EP3 I'm quite positive you could find an Accord V6 Coupe/Sedan for roughly the same price that hasn't been beaten on or riced out, and will win easily off the line with raw torque.
                    6spd swap would do more then off the line damage.
                    My 91 ex coupe
                    http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb//showthread.php?t=189841

Comment

I don't get the street racing scene. I am not into it myself, but my friend is always saying "hp is everything" and he is talking about flywheel hp and he is bragging he could beat me in an 8th gen Civic with the R18. I am willing to do somthing stupid to shut him up. I only have an intake and cleaned the engine up.

Comment

Your friend probably frequents Honda-Tech.....

While the administration doesn't advocate street racing, do so at your own risk, and take responsibility for your actions. Best way to handle it is on the track.

Comment

Civics were more popular because they were cheaper. The people buying them were willing to spend more for Honda over Nissan but not enought for a Toyota. Accords were alot more money than civics and appealed to different buyer. There was limited aftermarket for Honda's in general in the 80's, jackson, lightspeed and king.

The cars were being bought new and modified. They became more popular as the owners created a new marketplace. The more aftermarket, the more non enthusiasts buy Hondas increasing the marketplace. The Cb7 Accord had plenty of aftermarket presence relative to the Civic when new. The Accord enthusiasts were just a much smaller group so it developed less.

The reality is most young people from now driving 20 year Hondas would never have bought a new Honda back then.
                          Manual Belt Conversion-Variable Intermittent Wipers-Steering Volume Controls-Rear Defroster Antenna-JDM Climate Control-MDX Steering Wheel-Lighted Mirror Switch-CL Trunk Solenoid-CL Homelink-Shaved Hood Squirters-Foglight Wiring Diagram-Door Panel Removal-Puddle Lights-Ambient Lighting-Door Speaker Install-Window Seal and Regulator Cleaning-Prelude Cluster-Mirror Tweeter Pods-Illuminated Window Switch -More Coming Soon

Comment

I have owned 13 diff models of civic and I can honestly say it's much easier to mod and work on a civic. Reason I say this is engine bays aren't as packed, engine and transmission to me are way easier to get out etc.

Look at the swaps available for the accord , they are very limited compare to the civic. There are mount kits out for any model civic to fit almost any fwd Honda motor out there. Accords can get h series easily, k series very seldom and very rarely a v6 with custom mounts.

IMO civics are more sought after because of all these little intangibles but I love my cb because I have to work harder and search more to get what I need, I can't just find what I'm looking for at every store or shop around.
                            I wake up in the morning and piss excellence!

Comment

Originally posted by XCRN View Post
                              I don't get the street racing scene. I am not into it myself, but my friend is always saying "hp is everything" and he is talking about flywheel hp and he is bragging he could beat me in an 8th gen Civic with the R18. I am willing to do somthing stupid to shut him up. I only have an intake and cleaned the engine up.
                              R18 is slow as balls. Pretty sure a CB could hold it's own against it. My '08 5 sp EX-L coupe was painfully slow. Getting an SI remedied that.

My '90 5 speed coupe with an F22A1 and nothing more than an intake was a really quick car for what it was.
                              Last edited by crazymikey; 06-07-2013, 10:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X