No announcement yet.

Are any of you in the military?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Safe career move, good retirement, excellent benefits, paid travel.

If I was 18 again, I would consider it. Shit I could be retired right now with a paycheck for life, instead faced with a situation that I will only be able to retire if I can save enough of my own money.

Seriously, consider that. Retirement isn't what it used to be. No more are the days that you can work 25-30 years and earn retirement from a company. Nope, 401k/IRA + savings is about the only way anymore aside from gov jobs, military or police/fireman.

Plus, you could get an education while you are in there that will give you a great job when you are done, collecting that check for life. Paychek from current job + retirement check from military = nice life.

Just sayin
    Originally posted by wed3k
    im a douchebag to people and i don't even own a lambo. whats your point? we, douchbags, come in all sorts of shapes and colours.

Comment

Originally posted by Bcozzi71 View Post
      Lol acus do make you stand out. Worst uniform ever.... But I was talking about the blue cord and disks lol
      My 5 year old (at the time) seen my vest and said I know why you have this , its so bad guys cant shoot you. She continued to tell me that if its in the sand it doesnt hide very well and I could be seen relatively easily.

Comment

Im sorry I couldnt get on earlier but you guys are awesome and than,k you for all youve said and explained! to TheGMan: Its not that im not interested in being an officer its just not an option right now. Once it becomes one in the future though I will look more seriously into it however anything you may have to say would be appreciated! H222sparkle: Thats a downside to being in the military and it really doesnt look pleasant at all but id go in expecting it... Bcozzi71: Ive started to consider Air Force as well but honestly Im kinda like you in that I would want to be infantry but at the same time I also want training for a future job. The training for a job just is becoming less and less important though considering the fact that they would help me get my education. I still havent completely decided but I will soon. I like alot of jobs on both sides of the spectrum. SEgirl: Ive heard the exact same thing from people here (alot of Air Force pushers in my family lol) bobbycos: I dont have a wife and kids yet but ill keep it in mind for the future! Thanks! Grumpys93: It sounds like youre enjoying it! how long are your deployments typically? toycar: Thats what a few people ive talked to said. I cant argue with the financial security at all.
        Looking for a new CB. Sell me yours!

Comment

Okay guys I believe i'm actually considering the Navy most bust Air Force and Army as well. Ill be calling a recruiter today and hopefully i'm going to score high enough on the asvab to be a helicopter mechanic...
          Last edited by MrTShoff; 12-18-2013, 03:39 PM.

Comment

A&P mechanic, then you will be able to go with an airline when you decide to leave wichever branch you join

my father was that first then he trained to be a flight engineer on the C-5's

i remember going with him to the squadron office/hq, that was an awesome experience
            http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/d...82408002-1.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by bobbycos View Post
              A&P mechanic, then you will be able to go with an airline when you decide to leave wichever branch you join

my father was that first then he trained to be a flight engineer on the C-5's

i remember going with him to the squadron office/hq, that was an awesome experience
              Thats what I hope to do once im out if all goes well. I just bought tthe asvab for dummmies book and im meeting a recruiter friday for the Navy and hopefully an Air Force one too that day

Comment

if i remember right the asvab covers all the services but that was a few years ago ( a lot of years ago)

Comment

Originally posted by bobbycos View Post
                  if i remember right the asvab covers all the services but that was a few years ago ( a lot of years ago)
                  I believe it does.

Comment

Originally posted by toycar View Post
                    Safe career move, good retirement, excellent benefits, paid travel.

If I was 18 again, I would consider it. Shit I could be retired right now with a paycheck for life, instead faced with a situation that I will only be able to retire if I can save enough of my own money.

Seriously, consider that. Retirement isn't what it used to be. No more are the days that you can work 25-30 years and earn retirement from a company. Nope, 401k/IRA + savings is about the only way anymore aside from gov jobs, military or police/fireman.

Plus, you could get an education while you are in there that will give you a great job when you are done, collecting that check for life. Paychek from current job + retirement check from military = nice life.

Just sayin
                    eh, be careful what you say

Safe career move: Not really. Lots of boxes must be checked to get to 20 yrs to include doing asinine things to get there. Also I know the Air Force is going to go through with a reduction in force board soon, and I think they are looking at cutting 25,000 personnel out.

Good retirement: Only if you get to 20 yrs, and take a look at congress which is threatening that.

Excellent benefits:
                    Yeah kinda. Tricare kinda sucks in a lot of ways compared to private insurance, but you never pay a co-pay. The bad ways are that the doctors kind of suck. The dentist here on base is terribly inexperienced, and the flight docs don't exactly know what is going on half the time. (Of course they cannot give you many medications or else you cannot fly)

Travel: Yes, but mostly to places you don't exactly want to go such as the sandbox.

Overall, just know what you are getting into before you sign anything and SERIOUSLY only believe half of what a recruiter tells you, and if you do get it backed up on paper, and still know that you can be screwed out of it by one simple Needs of (insert branch here).
                    Gary A.K.A. Carter
                    [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man View Post
                      eh, be careful what you say

Safe career move: Not really. Lots of boxes must be checked to get to 20 yrs to include doing asinine things to get there. Also I know the Air Force is going to go through with a reduction in force board soon, and I think they are looking at cutting 25,000 personnel out.

Good retirement: Only if you get to 20 yrs, and take a look at congress which is threatening that.

Excellent benefits:
                      Yeah kinda. Tricare kinda sucks in a lot of ways compared to private insurance, but you never pay a co-pay. The bad ways are that the doctors kind of suck. The dentist here on base is terribly inexperienced, and the flight docs don't exactly know what is going on half the time. (Of course they cannot give you many medications or else you cannot fly)

Travel: Yes, but mostly to places you don't exactly want to go such as the sandbox.

Overall, just know what you are getting into before you sign anything and SERIOUSLY only believe half of what a recruiter tells you, and if you do get it backed up on paper, and still know that you can be screwed out of it by one simple Needs of (insert branch here).

i remember the docs on TAFB left a bit to be desired but like you said, never a co-pay for anything

Travis was like a mini-city in it had medical/dental care, schools (K-12), commisary that was a supermarket then it also had the BX (PX to some) and othre on base businesses. closest local town was 12 miles away (back then when i lived there)

but OP, gman is dead-on right, sit down and think about what YOU want to do in life and consider ALL factors involved.

Comment

Originally posted by MrTShoff View Post
                        Grumpys93: It sounds like youre enjoying it! how long are your deployments typically? .
                        They vary, I am FTS, Full Time Support. Which means i am active duty but work for reserve squadrons. I still get the same benefits as active duty i just work at a squadron for reservist. My longest deployment thus far was 4 months, the average for me is 2 months because the reserves have to get back to their civilian jobs. However, if you go active duty your deployments can be up to 8 months. But not sure if what it is if you decide to go to the boat.
                        ~Nick~
                        FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                        MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
                          My longest deployment thus far was 4 months, the average for me is 2 months because the reserves have to get back to their civilian jobs. However, if you go active duty your deployments can be up to 8 months.
                          Thats odd that the air force reserve is less the active. Army Reserve and National Guard still have 12-18 month deployments. Wonder why they do that?

Not to change the subject but how does veteran status work for you guys? I was told you need 90 days in a combat zone ( Iraq and Afghanistan. If you guys only deploy for 2 months do you still get it or do they screw you?

Also if your in the Navy (on a ship) and never set foot in a combat zone can you get vet status?

Comment

Originally posted by Bcozzi71 View Post
                            Thats odd that the air force reserve is less the active. Army Reserve and National Guard still have 12-18 month deployments. Wonder why they do that?

Not to change the subject but how does veteran status work for you guys? I was told you need 90 days in a combat zone ( Iraq and Afghanistan. If you guys only deploy for 2 months do you still get it or do they screw you?

Also if your in the Navy (on a ship) and never set foot in a combat zone can you get vet status?
                            Vet status is active time served, not just in a combat zone. And I think USN ship tours kinda count like deployments anyways, with ships being in Persian Gulf as in "combat zone"

And IDK about the Non-flyers in the Air Force, but for the flyers the reason the deployments are so short is because there is a maximum number of hours allowed to be flown in one year (1000). If you were on a 1 yr deployment you would easily hit that, and furthermore it would be gruelingly taxing on a bunch of human factors. Plus the USAF likes to take care of their people better than other branches.
                            Gary A.K.A. Carter
                            [sig killed by photobucket]

Comment

Originally posted by The G-Man View Post
                              Vet status is active time served, not just in a combat zone. And I think USN ship tours kinda count like deployments anyways, with ships being in Persian Gulf as in "combat zone"

And IDK about the Non-flyers in the Air Force, but for the flyers the reason the deployments are so short is because there is a maximum number of hours allowed to be flown in one year (1000). If you were on a 1 yr deployment you would easily hit that, and furthermore it would be gruelingly taxing on a bunch of human factors. Plus the USAF likes to take care of their people better than other branches.
                              yeah I meant combat vets compared to 20 year guys. The air force takes good care of its guys for sure! I know my buddies who are stationed in Hawaii say there are a few overflow air force guys in the army barracks and they get paid extra for "substandard" living lol I also remember during Katrina relief we found an old fire house and set up our platoon in there with MREs. Mean while the air force guys got hotel rooms few miles away with catered food. That was the first time I realized I joined the wrong branch lol

Comment

i have never been in the military or anything else like that . most of my family has though . but i came her to say thanks to you all for you're services and fighting for us . thank you.
                                this was put together by evil_demon_01 . You can also fined all this and more by him in the Common Beginner Technical Info can be found in here. PLEASE READ HERE FIRST

Not this one though.1990 to 1993 accord fuel psi .

Car safety checks

Diagnose a Check Engine Light (also S/D4 transmission error codes)
                                How to Set Base Idle Properly (F22ax, F22bx)
                                Cheapest Suspension Setup to Lower Your CB7

Fluid Capacities

Comment

Working...
                                X