Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weekend warrior & DIY home project pictures thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weekend warrior & DIY home project pictures thread!

I know I'm not the only one here on the forums that enjoys DIY projects. And another member recently mentioned starting a similar 'basic home improvements' thread... so why not?

Start posting up some of your handy work on your home improvements and DIY projects that you're working on or have completed. Be them big or small, improvements or a simple repairs. Hell even throw in a how-to!
    Who knows, maybe this will spark someone's interest and get them to fix, build, make, or improve their own project.
    Of course with any DIY project, you can not hold me nor anyone else responsible if you damage or destroy something... DIY at your own risk!
    Click Image for CB7Tuner.com Beanies, Decals, & Keychains!

Garden shed

I'll start things off with my recent improvement to the property, a new shed.
    This project started late last fall and I'm just now getting around to finishing all of it.

We had an old Arrow steel shed (I'm sure most of you know what they look like). It was rusted and looking pretty crappy after 25 or so years.
    Luck for me it was installed on a slab that was both small enough to not need a permit pulled (±140 sq. ft.) and far enough into the property that it was not located within the right-of-way, thus a permanent structure could be erected. Demo was straight forward, remove the old shed. No pictures of that because... well who cares.

Once the slab was cleaned off, went to the lumberyard, ordered up the wood, and went to work.

The shed was constructed with 2x6s instead of 2x4s. This allows for more storage space in the wall cavities (5.5" vs. 3.5"). Also if we ever want to insulate this shed (for whatever reason), a higher R value can be achieved over 2x4 construction.

Double sill and top plate for rigidity. Sill plate anchored to the concrete slab via anchors and 1/2" threaded rod.

Large 42" wide door so we can get the lawnmower in and out (as well as other sh*t) with ease.

Bottom of the shed/sill plate was installed with a foam gasket between the wood and the concrete.
    A self adhesive flashing (Vycor Plus) was wrapped around the perimeter as well to prevent any possible moisture problem we may encounter.
    After than a custom metal drip edge was installed to insure any water that splashes against the shed will run off and away from the siding.

The rafters were overbuilt with plywood sandwiching the top portion to resist against splaying. The ends are notched out to fit over the double top plate.
    Hurricane ties were also installed, just in case.

Interior shot of the wall construction. You can see the hurricane attached to the rafters.

And here it is 96% complete with trim, siding, paint, shingles, all that jazz.

Just within the past month, I've been able to work on getting the lean-to attached to the back of it.
    This will allow for some more storage space, a place to work out of the sun, and stuff like that.

6x6 posts buried 24" down on top of 7" thick cement blocks. The truss hangers are attached to the shed's fascia with 10d nails.
    IMPORTANT NOTE:
    Behind the fascia is 2x4 blocking. The blocking was added prior to the fascia board going up.
    Since I knew I was going to put up a lean-to, the blocking was added to make sure there was some 'meat' for the nails to go into, not just the 3/4" thick fascia board.

Interior shot of the vaulted ceiling. It will lend itself well later when I get time to build a storage pulley system for tires and other objects that I want to keep off the ground and hoist up to the ceiling.

Another interior shot with the storage rank, bins, and tool holders.
    Still organizing things and trying to get it all put together

So there is my most recent and currently on going project. Post yours up and spark someone's interest in doing the same!

Comment

Nice shed! That thing is built like a tank; it ought to last a good long while, for sure.

I've been planning to construct a new shed on my lot. I'm thinking a 16x12, gambrel roof, w/ a loft for extra storage space. I'll get around to building it eventually.

In the meantime, I finished up this project not too long ago. I converted our front living area into a study and a "foyer/formal dining" area. The study closet does double duty as a server/network closet, with cable, phone, and a patch panel for networking duty to the rest of the house.

Last edited by foamypirate; 07-25-2017, 08:29 PM.
      Originally posted by sweet91accord
      if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

Damn guys, that is amazing work; now i have to finish my floor.

No pictures but for a greener lawn i use Milorganite fertilizer mixed with a bag of cheap powder laundry detergent without bleach and spread. The soap helps with pests such as worms and Milorganite is perfect since it will not burn up your lawn in you overdoit. Avoid trimming more than 1/3 of lawn length at a time while also avoiding cutting too low as it exposes the roots specially in Southern states.
        [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Someone needs to come help me finish my basement cause Im never gonna get around to it. lol

nice work guys

Comment

Damn that looks nice! Love the frame work, walls look immaculately constructed. After fixing all the issues we've ran across in our home, I'm extremely picky about my frame work being square and properly constructed.

Network cable question. What cable did you run? CAT6A? I want/need to redo our network runs (relocate the modem to a different location) just not sure if I should spend the $$$ to upgrade to CAT6A.

Originally posted by foamypirate View Post
            Have the exact same Hitachi saw too! Just recently replaced the brushes on it after 8 years of use.

Crankshaft, I'll pick some up and give it a try as the yard took a HUGE hit the last few years (installed a sprinkler system).

Comment

Originally posted by foamypirate View Post
              The study closet does double duty as a server/network closet, with cable, phone, and a patch panel for networking duty to the rest of the house.
              Any pics of the setup you went with for this? Currently planning the data patch panel setup for the runs im doing in my own new house. Running 2xCAT6 and 2xRG6 to 4-gang plates in each room, just not 100% convinced on how to terminate everything. Current variation of the plan is to run it all to an open-frame wall mount rack, patch panels at the top, shelf/surge strip at the bottom, with a little room in the middle for a switch and/or router, then a shelf nearby for anything random or custom (a NAS). Curious what you went with.

- 1993 Accord LX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (wrecked)
              - 1991 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1990 Accord EX - Grey sedan (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - White sedan (sold)
              - 1992 Accord EX - White coupe (sold)
              - 1993 Accord EX - Grey coupe (stolen)
              - 1993 Accord SE - Gold coupe (sold)
              Current cars:
              - 2005 Subaru Legacy GT Wagon - Daily driver
              - 2004 Chevrolet Express AWD - Camper conversion

Comment

Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post
                Any pics of the setup you went with for this? Currently planning the data patch panel setup for the runs im doing in my own new house. Running 2xCAT6 and 2xRG6 to 4-gang plates in each room, just not 100% convinced on how to terminate everything. Current variation of the plan is to run it all to an open-frame wall mount rack, patch panels at the top, shelf/surge strip at the bottom, with a little room in the middle for a switch and/or router, then a shelf nearby for anything random or custom (a NAS). Curious what you went with.
                ^ Bingo! When I first did it (something like 14 years ago), I just ran CAT5 cable and terminated them to Leviton network wall plates... not that great of an install looking back at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                  Damn that looks nice! Love the frame work, walls look immaculately constructed. After fixing all the issues we've ran across in our home, I'm extremely picky about my frame work being square and properly constructed.

Network cable question. What cable did you run? CAT6A? I want/need to redo our network runs (relocate the modem to a different location) just not sure if I should spend the $$$ to upgrade to CAT6A.

Have the exact same Hitachi saw too! Just recently replaced the brushes on it after 8 years of use.

Crankshaft, I'll pick some up and give it a try as the yard took a HUGE hit the last few years (installed a sprinkler system).
                  Originally posted by cp[mike] View Post

Thanks guys!

I ended up running CAT5e cable. Gigabit is plenty of bandwidth for what I'm doing. I also have a feed up to the attic, where I have a PoE switch to power my IP security cameras.

Here is the network closet itself. Pretty simple, overall. Vertical rack mount, with a TrendNet patch panel, TP-Link switch (used to have a managed Dell switch, but it went kaput; I was planning on doing VLANs with it), and a TrippLite power strip. I've got a Dell T330 loaded up with HDDs for storage and running my security cam software (BlueIris), and then a NAS, all on UPS (two, actually, NAS has it's own dedicated UPS so it can monitor the status and shut itself down).

Last edited by foamypirate; 07-26-2017, 04:23 PM.
                  Originally posted by sweet91accord
                  if aredy time i need to put something in cb7tuner. you guy need to me a smart ass about and bust on my spelling,gramar and shit like that in so sorry.

Comment

:O! You read my post! FLANNEL SHIRTS FOR EVERYBODY. Awesome shed, and spiffy closet. That drywall work is professional! Is the Corvette thing a sign or a painting? I'm liking it a lot.

Comment

Indeed I saw your post Chris. Need to get some more projects posted up in here too.

Here is one that I am probably most proud of accomplishing, a free standing pergola. I opted to do a NEARLY fastener free build with this because I think it would look nicer.

Started off with some 6x6 timbers and getting them cut to length.

Next was notching the top of the timbers to accept the 4x6 beams.
                      The beams will also be notched, so all joints will be a half lap or in two cases (the middle of the pergola) tri lap joints.

Two of the corner posts completed. Looks strange, but you'll see how they all fit together.

After the notches were complete, added a bit of detail with a simple chamfer.

A center post and another corner post completed with chamfer and sanding.

Up close shot.

All the posts completed with the stain. The center posts have blocks in the middle of their notches to prevent warping (it was a humid summer)

Posts installed in the ground. The bottom of each post is wrapped with a copper naphthenate product to prevent rotting.

Picture of all the 2x6 rafter tails cut and sanded.

Close up shot.

Here are the 1x4s for the pergola top (also known as purlins). They've all been sanded and stained. This was tedious since there was sixty or so of them,

I forgot to take a few pictures between getting the purlins done and this step, but here is the pergola with the 4x6 beams fitted into the 6x6 posts.
                      The beams have been pegged with 3/4" diameter, 12" long black locust dowels, no screws or metal ties!
                      The 2x6 rafters were then installed. They are attached to the 4x6 beams with pocket screws (total of only 48 screws).

And here it is completed with all of the 1x4s screwed to the top with tiny trim head fasteners.

Cleaned things up a little bit and made a bench out of the scrap material.

This was completed about four years ago. However only a two years ago I had an issue... the stain went to sh*t and it looked AWEFUL. So I had to take it apart, sand and resurface everything.

Everything disassembled and sanded down again to bare wood.
                      Also notice the new roof, paint, and trim... it was a busy year.

All of the 1x4s got planned this go round, faster and easier than sanding!

I got everything restained (with a better product).
                      I also opted to give the purlins a nice wave this time around, gives it some character.

And how it looks as of two weeks ago.

Shot of the rain chain on the back of the house coming through the top of the pergola.

So again, this is probably one of my favorite projects to date.

Comment

Looks amazing! Great Job!
                        I'm faster then a prius

Comment

I have a new FORCED project, the plumbing has sprung yet another leak; spent three hours at 2 different hardware stores trying to fing all the fittings i will need as i will be attempting at replacing at the very least ALL of the piping in the attic with PEX. I went crazy and might have purchased more fittings, clamps, plugs etc that i may need(about $100 worth) but i am trying to avoid stopping and having to drive my ass to the hardware store halfway thru the job. I will try and take pics of the process.
                          [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Man, I'm jealous of these projects.
                            This weekend, I've only replaced a toilet gasket and unsuccessfully attempted to fix my washing machine (replaced the drain pump... still won't drain.)

Comment

If I've learned anything, it's to buy more stuff than you think you'll need.
                              I'm faster then a prius

Comment

Working...
                              X