Traffic Ticket Question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Traffic Ticket Question.

So yesterday morning at around 3:45am I am running a lil late. I am on the street of my job and a car is going stupidly slow.. so of course I passed. But it was a double yellow line. The moment I passed him A sheriff Cruiser is sitting right there.. Boom she saw me n of course pulled me over if front of my job. I was polite with her n was straight up with everything. I didn't get the speeding ticket but I did get a fix it ticket for the my muffler (i didnt have one, it rotted out). And the ticket for crossing the double yellow line. She gave me a break on the speeding ticket cuz my license was clean. I have no points on my license and i am not sure if the double yellow line will add any.

But here's the funny thing. On the ticket is says i was driving a 1992 Honda Maroon color (my cb7 is black) but.. I drive a 1992 Nissan Sentra Maroon color. My Registration is all correct n everything is good.

So my question is can I fight the ticket for it being the wrong info and get it dismissed?

I live in New York state if anybody is curious.

I heard stories that people have had tickets dropped because of bad written tickets. If it's worth your time try, you have nothing to lose.

Comment

I'd fight it either way but here's the thing is your car insanely loud? If it is get it quieted down and you should be straight. Gotta keep them off your back.

Comment

Originally posted by h22sparkle View Post
        I'd fight it either way but here's the thing is your car insanely loud? If it is get it quieted down and you should be straight. Gotta keep them off your back.

Well the ticket doesn't actually say "crossed double yellow solid lines" it says "Drove left of the line to pavement" something like that. Don't remember fully but its around in that area.

And yes it was insanely loud like a straight pipe cuz the muffler rotted off n I took it out .. i just put a new muffler in it and it is baby quiet. She pulled me over cuz the moment i decided to pass that slow moving driver she was right there sitting. and it was a double yellow solid line.

Comment

Originally posted by Ely585 View Post
          Well the ticket doesn't actually say "crossed double yellow solid lines" it says "Drove left of the line to pavement" something like that. Don't remember fully but its around in that area.

And yes it was insanely loud like a straight pipe cuz the muffler rotted off n I took it out .. i just put a new muffler in it and it is baby quiet. She pulled me over cuz the moment i decided to pass that slow moving driver she was right there sitting. and it was a double yellow solid line.
          Get it fixed and silenced

Comment

Fix the muffler. Don't make a stink about the error on the car color (she definitely saw you do what you did, and it's likely on video.)
            Go to court, be respectful, and prepare to plead to a lesser charge on crossing the yellow line. Most likely it'll be unsafe driving or something like that. Higher fine, no points. Done. The muffler charge will be dropped if you show proof that you repaired it.

Crossing the double yellow line is a moving violation, and it will very likely carry points. You're unlikely to get out of this without paying a fine, but as long as you're respectful, you should get out of it without points. Especially since your record is otherwise clean.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
              Fix the muffler. Don't make a stink about the error on the car color (she definitely saw you do what you did, and it's likely on video.)
              Go to court, be respectful, and prepare to plead to a lesser charge on crossing the yellow line. Most likely it'll be unsafe driving or something like that. Higher fine, no points. Done. The muffler charge will be dropped if you show proof that you repaired it.

Crossing the double yellow line is a moving violation, and it will very likely carry points. You're unlikely to get out of this without paying a fine, but as long as you're respectful, you should get out of it without points. Especially since your record is otherwise clean.
              I fixed the muffler yesterday and got it signed off so that's already good.

I was thinking about going to the town court in the morning to just pay off the moving violation ticket. I never went to court for anything before and I kinda don't wanna deal with it. I usually just pay what ever and call it a day. But I don't know how much it'll be. And about the car thing Its not about the color.. its about the model. i Wasn't driving a Honda. But oh well. Should I go to court and try to get a less fine? or just pay it off n call it a day. Not sure what to do honestly.

Comment

Well she was cutting you a break so you should be happy. Unfourtently if there is a mistake on the ticket they just edit the ticket. It doesn't change that you did something illegal. Go to court they might offer you a deal if you have a good driving record. Keep in mind sometimes they won't offer you a deal if the cop already cut you a break.

Comment

Originally posted by Ely585 View Post
                  I fixed the muffler yesterday and got it signed off so that's already good.

I was thinking about going to the town court in the morning to just pay off the moving violation ticket. I never went to court for anything before and I kinda don't wanna deal with it. I usually just pay what ever and call it a day. But I don't know how much it'll be. And about the car thing Its not about the color.. its about the model. i Wasn't driving a Honda. But oh well. Should I go to court and try to get a less fine? or just pay it off n call it a day. Not sure what to do honestly.
                  Look on the ticket, or online, to see how many points the ticket carries. Contact your insurance company and ask them if such a violation would have any negative effect on your policy (you don't have to admit to actually doing it...)
                  If your license is clean, and you're confident that you can continue to drive without another moving violation for the next few years, it may have no negative effects on your insurance. If the ticket carries a significant amount of points, or if it will raise your rates (or worse, classify you as an "at risk" driver, making you a prime candidate for cancellation of insurance in the event of another incident), then it'd be worth your time to fight it. Courts will allow you to plead to a lesser charge with a higher fine in just about any instance (a severe accident, driving under the influence, fleeing from the police... those things, not so much. )

And yes, my mistake. See how easy it is to write the wrong thing?
                  If the tickets were mailed to you, based on the observation of an officer that did not pursue you, then yes... that would be a viable defense (even if you were guilty.) However, the officer pulled you over, and spoke to you personally. She could've said you were driving a lime green Miata. The point is that she saw you, she stopped you, she confirmed your identity, and she issued the tickets.

Originally posted by Bcozzi71 View Post
                  Well she was cutting you a break so you should be happy. Unfourtently if there is a mistake on the ticket they just edit the ticket. It doesn't change that you did something illegal. Go to court they might offer you a deal if you have a good driving record. Keep in mind sometimes they won't offer you a deal if the cop already cut you a break.
                  Exactly.

Comment

Originally posted by deevergote View Post
                    Look on the ticket, or online, to see how many points the ticket carries. Contact your insurance company and ask them if such a violation would have any negative effect on your policy (you don't have to admit to actually doing it...)
                    If your license is clean, and you're confident that you can continue to drive without another moving violation for the next few years, it may have no negative effects on your insurance. If the ticket carries a significant amount of points, or if it will raise your rates (or worse, classify you as an "at risk" driver, making you a prime candidate for cancellation of insurance in the event of another incident), then it'd be worth your time to fight it. Courts will allow you to plead to a lesser charge with a higher fine in just about any instance (a severe accident, driving under the influence, fleeing from the police... those things, not so much. )

And yes, my mistake. See how easy it is to write the wrong thing?
                    If the tickets were mailed to you, based on the observation of an officer that did not pursue you, then yes... that would be a viable defense (even if you were guilty.) However, the officer pulled you over, and spoke to you personally. She could've said you were driving a lime green Miata. The point is that she saw you, she stopped you, she confirmed your identity, and she issued the tickets.

What I did was go to the court on Monday n said Eff it n plead guilty. Its 150 plus surcharge which is I really don't know. And also 3 points on my license. But I can get those points reduced by taking the defensive driving course thru my insurance agency (I took it before to get the Insurance discount but I can take it again to reduce the points). Also the exhaust ticket was dropped. So I guess I got a break from what happen. Now I learned my lesson to not do something retarded like that again. Cuz these cops hide anywhere.

Comment

Go get a lawyer. They will be able to get the charges reduced to a non-moving violation for more money (usually double, but it doesn't raise your insurance.)

Click for my Member's Ride Thread
                      Originally posted by Stephen Fry
                      'It's now very common to hear people say, "I'm rather offended by that", as if that gives them certain rights. It's no more than a whine. It has no meaning, it has no purpose, it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. "I'm offended by that." Well, so fucking what?' —Stephen Fry
                      Eye Level Media - Commercial & Automotive Photography: www.EyeLevelSTL.com

Comment

Working...
                      X