Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another Accord Down - Recommendations on Odysseys?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Accord Down - Recommendations on Odysseys?

Rose may have bit the dust yesterday evening, daughter got hit hard at the right front wheel in one of my 92 EX coupes. This is the first of my kids since the oldest started driving 14 years ago to total one of my cars. Haven't seen pictures, but sounds like the body damage is more considerable than my "Saving Silver" thread and suspension damage may be more than "Webuilding the Wagon". She's at the emergency room (with her passenger as well) for neck pain, ankle, and other pains (air bag deployed). I'm trying to handle it better than when my wife wrecked hers a few years ago. Not sure yet if/how I'm going to get it back from Pensacola - too many good parts on it to leave it there.

Now my wife has decided the Accords aren't big/safe enough for the kids to be driving.

Any recommendations for preferred years, or years to avoid, for Odysseys under about $6K? Or stronger recommendation for other mini-vans? A mini-van would provide more cargo space for my son and daughter going back/forth to school together for another 2 years.

Edit: She's been released with just contusions at shoulder and pelvis, sprained ankle.
    Last edited by Fleetw00d; 11-02-2018, 09:38 PM. Reason: Revised title to include other models.
    90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
    08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

I'm very glad she's okay. It's an awful thing to be so far away from a situation and have to accept that you can't help.

First thing is to get pictures. See the condition of the car and make the determination then as to what is worth saving. Possibly a member in the area can help by getting the car from impound and storing it for a few days. Not sure, though. That region has its fair share of other issues it's dealing with right now.

Best of luck, and at least your daughter is okay and in a condition from which she will easily heal.
    My Members' Ride Thread - It's a marathon build, not a sprint. But keep me honest on the update frequency!

Comment

Her passenger (roommate) has pictures, but was asleep by the time we got finished talking to the insurance company very early this morning. The tow service is supposed to take a couple and send them to me as well.

Trying to decide if my Ford E350 would make it back here towing it on a dolly (last time I tried to tow a vehicle - also with the van loaded - it spit out a spark plug). I think it is worth it even if I just wind up parting it out; quarters are still rust free. Grumpys93 just moved to the area, but I'd hate to burden someone else with trying to pick it up. Storage charges accrue at $21.50/day on top of the $136 tow charge. If I leave this evening, I could get it tomorrow, otherwise I have to wait until Monday.

Important part is she's OK; I reacted better to this one than when my wife wrecked her 93 LX.

So, the E350 made it from Ohio to Pensacola towing the wagon, then back to OH towing Rose. She'll end up in my parts classified. To add insult to injury, after I got back, my son called to say the battery light is on in the wagon and it died after a short errand.

IMG_0317 by Paul Kemme, on Flickr
      Last edited by Fleetw00d; 10-21-2018, 09:44 AM.
      90 LX 4dr 5 spd 396,014 (sold 1/1/2022) - MRT: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=201450
      08 Element LX FWD AT 229,000 - MRT: fleetw00d : 2008 Honda Element LX - CB7Tuner Forums

Comment

Update: Found out today (yes, 9 days later) that my daughter's collar bone is broken. The hospital apparently missed it on the x-rays.

Comment

Just saw this post, sorry to hear about your daughter Paul and horrible that hospital missed the fracture which I am guessing they will try to break again to position properly if it was healing in the wrong way. Hopefully everything works out, by the way is that the daughter that lives down here?
          [url=https://flic.kr/p/2hFNC7Z]

Comment

Originally posted by Crankshaft View Post
            Just saw this post, sorry to hear about your daughter Paul and horrible that hospital missed the fracture which I am guessing they will try to break again to position properly if it was healing in the wrong way. Hopefully everything works out, by the way is that the daughter that lives down here?
            It may have just been cracked originally, but something "popped" when she was trying to do her hair on Thursday. Written report indicates it may now be in more than two pieces, which could potentially mean surgery to hold everything together to heal. This is my youngest, at school in Pensacola. The daughter who lived in TX finished her PhD and moved in with her older sister in Indianapolis while she tries to find a job.

Comment

Sorry to hear about this. As for a more safe vehicle, I think anything is the answer. There are crash ratings you could follow but any more modern Honda or Toyota will meet all your safety concerns. To see which vehicle is fit for buying I'd simply check out carcomplaints.com. It easily lists TSBs, major issues, etc. for all vehicles. There's also the lemon book too. If your family members are prone to crashing a lot maybe think about buying cheap vehicles

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                Sorry to hear about this. As for a more safe vehicle, I think anything is the answer. There are crash ratings you could follow but any more modern Honda or Toyota will meet all your safety concerns. To see which vehicle is fit for buying I'd simply check out carcomplaints.com. It easily lists TSBs, major issues, etc. for all vehicles. There's also the lemon book too. If your family members are prone to crashing a lot maybe think about buying cheap vehicles
                I've used carcomplaints; I think sometimes it makes older vehicles look bad just because they're getting to an age at which they need maintenance. As far as crashing a lot, this is the first major wreck any of my kids have had in 14 years of them driving my cars - and the Accords are cheap vehicles.

Comment

Sorry to hear about the accident! Glad everyone involved is alive and can recover.

Volvos are nice
                  https://nypost.com/2018/01/12/safest...in-crash-test/

YouTube Clicky!!

Comment

Paul, so sorry to hear about the accident. I'm so glad that everyone is safe and that it wasn't worse. LMK if there's anything that I can help with since I'm local.

Comment

Originally posted by SEgirl View Post
                      Paul, so sorry to hear about the accident. I'm so glad that everyone is safe and that it wasn't worse. LMK if there's anything that I can help with since I'm local.
                      Thanks for the offer. The school is providing transportation to medical appointments - that would be a long haul for you anyway. Pulled the alternator from Rose; I may wind up driving back down to install it in the wagon - I don't expect anyone else to take responsibility for doing that either.

Comment

Glad the school is helping out. Let me know if/when you come back to Pensacola. Still have all the SEs :-)

Comment

Sorry to hear about your daughters accident Paul. At least shes going to be ok, cars are replaceable but lives aren't.

I found this through my friend

2003 Honda Odyssey 6/6

Yes. That's a 6/6 3rd gen Odyssey with a 6 speed transmission.
                          Henry R
                          Koni/Neuspeed
                          1992 Accord LX R.I.P
                          1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
                          Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
                          made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Comment

Originally posted by HenRoc View Post
                            Sorry to hear about your daughters accident Paul. At least shes going to be ok, cars are replaceable but lives aren't.

I found this through my friend

2003 Honda Odyssey 6/6

Yes. That's a 6/6 3rd gen Odyssey with a 6 speed transmission.
                            Note on daughter: appointment with Andrews Institute in Pensacola today resulted in recommendation against surgery. If they put plates and screws in, they said they would eventually have to take them out, meaning two surgeries. So, we'll let it heal as best it can as is; she may have a permanent bump on it because of the way the pieces have ended up.

Thanks for the ad - a little far to go for a vehicle. Neither of the two kids that would be driving it have much time (or inclination) driving a manual. At least that would address the specter of auto trans problems associated with the Odysseys. Looked at some older Pilots; 2006-2008 seem to be relatively trouble free, but I think they are probably as thirsty as my wife's 2009. Looked at a couple Elements today. One guy is selling a 2004 that he's owned for I think 5 years and he didn't know it was all wheel drive. 2007+ had a five speed auto; for what little snow it would see, a FWD model would get better mileage and be less of a maintenance burden.
                            Last edited by Fleetw00d; 11-05-2018, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Hey Paul, this is a lot of terrible news, but I am glad that it was not worse for your daughter! I have two babies, and im dreading the "early driving" years.

Are you guys going to look into an attorney? I, myself, am not a fan of suing over every little thing, but I was once a licensed x-ray tech and techs don't read the films, Radiologists do, but to miss a fractured collar bone is pretty bad.

Just throwing that out there. She is definitely entitled to compensation for her pain, inconvenience and everything else that goes along with this. Its not like they botched her coffee order.

I was going to recommend the 06-08 pilots. My coworker has a 2008; its his 2nd. He swears by them, but they are probably a bit thirsty like you mentioned.

Comment

Working...
                              X