Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

*Official Photography Thread* (56k warning)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i personally use 3 580exs and 3 480exs but in the next month or so ill be buying 4 alienbees b800s

"Tucking tires and wires."
    The Chronicles.

Comment

Originally posted by J-specCb4 View Post
      i personally use 3 580exs and 3 480exs but in the next month or so ill be buying 4 alienbees b800s
      do you ever fire all 6 speedlights at the same time? what trigger/receivers do you use?

Comment

nope! none of them have all been functional at the same time! haha shooting as frequently as i do, and in the atmosphere i do, u break shit so two of them were bought in a tight spot to make up for two broken flashes... ill get the other 2 fixed soon tho, and try out 6 flashes! haha... i use cybersyncs and love the shit out of them.

"Tucking tires and wires."
        The Chronicles.

Comment

Originally posted by J-specCb4 View Post
          nope! none of them have all been functional at the same time! haha shooting as frequently as i do, and in the atmosphere i do, u break shit so two of them were bought in a tight spot to make up for two broken flashes... ill get the other 2 fixed soon tho, and try out 6 flashes! haha... i use cybersyncs and love the shit out of them.
          hahaha sounds good. Thanks Chris

Comment

I can vouch for cybersyncs as well. Good triggers!

1999 Honda Prelude
            Photography Site

Comment

Finishing touches make such a big difference.

Last edited by Tnwagn; 06-18-2011, 11:59 PM.

Originally posted by Maple50175
              Oh here we go again. Maples other half.

Comment

Show us some footage with the thing already! Ha

1999 Honda Prelude
                Photography Site

Comment

http://vimeo.com/25066131

First time really using it, that was without the Rode as well. I need to practice it a lot and having lenses that have VR really makes a huge difference. I can use the rig with my 50-200mm VR at 200 and it's pretty still, which is amazing since that's really like 300mm on my crop body.

For Import Alliance I am renting a 16-35 f/4 VR II, which should make for some pretty smooth video.
                  Last edited by Tnwagn; 06-19-2011, 10:34 PM.

Comment

whats good guys ...damn i been gone for a min.

Erica R. x TheIMkicKs by marcocb9, on Flickr

IMG_3416-39 by marcocb9, on Flickr

IMG_3259-9 by marcocb9, on Flickr
                    MY YOUTUBE Channel Plz Sub for the Support thanks

^^^ Click for the Link ^^^

Comment

A picture I took this weekend.

[/url]

Comment

Tnwagn - that rig looks great, just like the ones that cost hundreds of dollars! Major props

BTW 50-200VR lens is a DX lens so the focal length is the same what the lens says. If it was a full frame lens then 200mm would be like 300mm
                        The CB9 has been reborn into a CB3
                        Members Ride - see my cb3 here - DOHC powah
                        Check out my JDM F22B swap
                        Watch my CB7 video

Comment

Originally posted by cb7wagonPL View Post
                          Tnwagn - that rig looks great, just like the ones that cost hundreds of dollars! Major props

BTW 50-200VR lens is a DX lens so the focal length is the same what the lens says. If it was a full frame lens then 200mm would be like 300mm
                          Thanks

As to the focal length discussion, the issue of what a focal length corresponds to between crop and full frame has nothing to do with the lens, but has everything to do with the camera used.

Take for example these two photos. They are both shot on my D7000, which is a crop body. This means that any lens used on this camera will produce an image at 1.5 times the corresponding field of view to that of the same lens on a full frame camera. The two pictures were taken with two different lenses. The first is from my 55-200mm, which is a DX lens. The second image is from my 24-70mm, which is a full frame lens. In both shots the camera was on a stationary tripod and the lens was zoomed to 70mm as indicated on the barrel of the lens.

D7000: DX 55-200mm VR at 70mm

D7000: 24-70mm at 70mm

Now, these images aren't identical because the tripod moved a tiny amount when I changed the lens. However, the difference between the two photos is minor.

Had I shot a photo at 70mm on a full frame camera from this same position, you would see a much wider field of view. To obtain the same field of view from a full frame camera I would have to shoot at a focal length of 105mm.

If you look at the EXIF data of the image on flickr, it backs this point up by showing what the equivalent focal length of the shot is in 35mm format, which is what a full frame sensor is.

Focal Length In35mm Format 105 mm
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/tnwagn/...in/photostream

So, at 200mm on a crop body you would get the effective field of view of 300mm if you were using a full frame camera. The lens has nothing to do with the crop factor, and DX cameras (crop bodies) produce a field of view 1.5 times that of the equivalent full frame field of view. Any lens designated as DX will give you the same field of view as a full frame lens when used on a crop body, thus the designation of focal length on a DX is just the same as on a full frame lens. The manufacturer does not include the crop body's cropping effect when designating the focal length of a DX lens.

Comment

Still learning my camera:

These are raw no editing. Dont know how lol
                            ~Nick~
                            FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                            MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by Tnwagn View Post
                              Thanks

As to the focal length discussion, the issue of what a focal length corresponds to between crop and full frame has nothing to do with the lens, but has everything to do with the camera used.
                              Hmm I don't think I can fully agree with you on that. If it has nothing to do with lenses then why did Nikon spend all that time and money to develop a line of DX lenses and full frame lenses. I also think this is more of a discussion of the effective focal length that you're actually getting.

The DX lenses (including your 55-200mm) was designed to work on your D7000 thats a cropped sensor body. The focal length on DX lenses already takes into account the fact that your using it on a cropped sensor therefore there is no "cropping" taking place. So 200mm dx lens is 200mm on a crop sensor.

The focal length change comes into play when you mount a lens that was designed to work on a full frame sensor body, like the good old 50mm. Yes it will work just fine on the D7000 however the effective focal length your seeing in the viewfinder is not 50mm anymore. Its more like 75mm given the 1.5x crop factor of your body. So yes, technically the you still have a 50mm lens mounted on a crop sensor but the effective focal length is a tighter 75mm. Again the effective focal length you're getting from the full frame 24-70 is actually 36-105 on the D7000
                              The CB9 has been reborn into a CB3
                              Members Ride - see my cb3 here - DOHC powah
                              Check out my JDM F22B swap
                              Watch my CB7 video

Comment

If it has nothing to do with lenses then why did Nikon spend all that time and money to develop a line of DX lenses and full frame lenses.
                                APS-C sized sensors and lenses were developed by camera manufacturers because they are smaller and cheaper to produce, and can be sold at a lower price point. Soccer Mom's don't have a need for huge cameras and lenses, nor do they want to spend $5,000 on a camera setup to take pictures of their kids. They are willing to spend ~$1,000 for a smaller camera and maybe an extra lens, though, which increases the camera manufacturer's market reach.

I also think this is more of a discussion of the effective focal length that you're actually getting.
                                Exactly, because the focal lengths described on any DX lens mounted on a DX body make no sense unless compared to something else. This is similar to any point and shoot you see out there. Take the Nikon P500 for instance

http://www.nikonusa.com/Nikon-Produc...Tabs.TechSpecs

Lens Focal Length
                                4.0-144.0mm (angle of view equivalent to that of 22.5-810mm lens in 35mm [135] format)
                                It lists it's focal length as 4-144mm. 4mm is absolutely ridiculous to think about in normal terms, however when converted to it's 35mm equivalent due to the smaller sensor size used in the point-and-shoot, we see that it is really 22.5mm at the wide end. If Nikon standardized the lens designations for different senor sizes based on what they would be used with then the lens would say 22.4-810mm and there would be no 4-144mm designation. This is not the case with this point and shoot, nor any camera in Nikon's line-up.

The DX lenses (including your 55-200mm) was designed to work on your D7000 thats a cropped sensor body. The focal length on DX lenses already takes into account the fact that your using it on a cropped sensor therefore there is no "cropping" taking place. So 200mm dx lens is 200mm on a crop sensor.

The focal length change comes into play when you mount a lens that was designed to work on a full frame sensor body, like the good old 50mm. Yes it will work just fine on the D7000 however the effective focal length your seeing in the viewfinder is not 50mm anymore. Its more like 75mm given the 1.5x crop factor of your body. So yes, technically the you still have a 50mm lens mounted on a crop sensor but the effective focal length is a tighter 75mm. Again the effective focal length you're getting from the full frame 24-70 is actually 36-105 on the D7000
                                As I did before, I will put your theory to a test.

Shot 1: Classic 50mm on D7000 - You say it will produce a field of view equivalent to 75mm (Because it's an FX lens on a DX body)

Shot 2: DX 18-55mm zoomed to 50mm on D700 - You say it will produce a field of view equivalent to 50mm (Because it's a DX lens on a DX body)

Shot 1:

Shot 2:

Both of these appear to be the same field of view (minus a small variation due to ~1cm of movement when changing the lens).

So, is what I'm looking at 50mm or 75mm?

Comment

Working...
                                X