Announcement

Collapse

Please DO NOT Post In The General Section

From this point on until otherwise briefed, posting in the general section of Performance Tech is prohibited. The only thing to remain here will be the stickies. We would just delete this section, but that would cause unintended results.

The majority of the threads created can appropriately be placed in one of the Performance Tech sub-forums or Technical; and the posting of them here is detrimental to the activity of said forums. If you have any questions about where you need to place your thread PM me or one of the other mods.

For the most part you all have caught on without this post, but there have been a few habitual offenders that forced me to say this.

Everyone will get a couple of warnings from here on out, after that I just start deleting threads.

Again if you have any questions, PM me or one of the other mods.
See more
See less

to air scoop or not 2 air scoop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

to air scoop or not 2 air scoop

well here is my plan i am thinking of making 2 functional hood scoops for my cb.
    1 on the pass side with a alluminum box around my air filter so when i sclose my hood my ram air should grab the colder air from aoutside not 2 mention when im on the highway it should b grabbing way more air. and on the drivers side just cause i like things 2 match but also 2 let my engine run cooler cause im plannig on raising the back of the hood a bit 2 let some that super hot air 2 escape better. more air flow through my engine bay heres the the first pic of the first step getting them the right shape and 2 look the same.
    let me know ur thoughts and if any 1 has any tips 2 help me along his is my first attempt at this so keeping my fingers crossed lmao

Ya know I've been thinking about doing that, but using my grill as the induction source. Up here it rains enough to where I'd be worried about getting hydro-locked with a CAI. I also don't want to cut up the hood.

Comment

i say do more work to the engine, then worry about cooling it down.

Member Ride Facebook
      XBOX LIVE = RedDragonsFool
      SOLD MY CB JUNE 16, 2009
      For Sale Thread

Comment

hmmm yeah ive thought of the rain im thinking of leaving a trap dooor inside the hood so if rain comes bam pull over the flap block the hole in the hood and open 1 side of the box. hmmm sounds easyer said than done but im in the early stages right now im not cutting no holes in my hood before i have everything figured out ill keep updating as i make progress.

Comment

Originally posted by UrDoneSRH View Post
          i say do more work to the engine, then worry about cooling it down.
          yeah in the future im gonna swap in a h22

Comment

you want my vote? I say not to air scoop. They just look silly imo.
            spin city

Comment

It would be cool to see how it turns out...try it and see

SOLD!!
              Boosted H22
              375whp 298 ft/lbs at 15psi

MEMBERS RIDE THREAD<<<CLICK FOR VIDS AND COOL PICS

Comment

well heres an update on where im @ with these hood scoops ive raised the rear of my hood a bit its unbelievable how much heat it lets out
                my car actually seems more responsive and feels a lil quicker than usual i shaped and cut the metal 2 where i feel is not 2 extreme

Comment

Originally posted by fatboy1185 View Post
                  buy a spare hood first
                  lmao actually i thought of that cause come this winter ima gonna have 2 undo it all, but for 1 of these cars around here are a dime a dozen good thing
                  for that lol

Comment

Cooler is not better. There's a reason why air cooled engines aren't being used anymore, and its not only because they often ran too hot. Running cooler has its problems too.

Having a decently warm block will definitely assist with combustion and allow for a cleaner burn. That's why Honda has the thermostat set to what it is. If the engine ran better cooler, they would've just had the thermostat circulate coolant at lower temperatures.

If your engine was producing abnormal amounts of heat, due to a turbo or some such, then letting out heat is very very warranted. But other than intake charge, there's not much on a naturally aspirated engine that needs to be cooler than stock.

Also, has your temperature gauge indicated that your operating temps changed with the raked hood?

Comment

nope no changes in temp guage. reaches normal opp temp pretty good. i get what ur sayin about the combustion bein better but @ the same time i feel that the heat that comes out from under my hood is pretty extreme my headers let off a lot of heat plus if a cold air intake is dyno proven 2 add hp then i can only immagine that setting it up 2 ram air dirrecly into the filter can only help. have u ever looked at the old muscle cars them hoods where just as functional as they looked good. ive seen so many ricers with those fake hood scoops just there for look and thats pointless i want myne 2 ram air into my filter. it will no doubt only better my future mods i have planned

Comment

no.. there is a contour that runs around here with scoops just like that, and they FAILED!
                        92 4 Dr Ex-sold/91 civic hatch(bad head)/93 civic vx

Comment

Originally posted by s-Lowcb7 View Post
                          no.. there is a contour that runs around here with scoops just like that, and they FAILED!
                          what do u mean by they failed

Comment

Originally posted by TheNextEpisode View Post
                            Also, has your temperature gauge indicated that your operating temps changed with the raked hood?
                            I actually noticed my temp gauge was a little (like 1-2 mm) lower when I had the hood propped up. It looked a little to ricey for me though. I may put it up again though. My Short Ram intake is a lot warmer while its down.

Comment

Working...
                            X