Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

ANY BUYING/SELLING IN THIS FORUM WILL RESULT IN AN INSTANT BAN!

Read the rules: http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=43956

Myself, and the other mods have been very nice and lenient with the rules. We have been deleting threads, and giving out warnings. Some members didn't get the clue and re-posted over and over... Now ANY member buying or selling in this section will be banned... No IF's AND's or BUT's.
2 of 2 < >

Beginner Forum Rules - EVERYBODY read! (old and new members alike!)

Beginners start here. Once you have 30 worthwhile posts (off topic doesn't count) you may post outside of the Beginner forums. Any "whoring" (posting simply to raise your post count) will return your count to 0, or result in a ban.

These are the rules. Read them. Live by them.

1) Absolutely NO flaming! "Flaming" is an outright attack on a member. ALL questions are encouraged to be asked here, no matter how basic. Members with over 30 posts will be subject to a ONE WEEK ban if caught flaming in this forum (and yes, moderators can read deleted posts). Members with under 30 posts will be subject to a ONE DAY ban.

2) Use appropriate language. Racial or sexual slurs will not be tolerated. A ban will be issued at the discretion of the cb7tuner.com staff.

3) No items may be sold in the Beginner forums. Any "for sale" threads will be deleted.

4) Temporarily banned members will be PERMANTLY banned if they are found posting on another account.

The rules can and will be added to. Any updates will be marked in the title.

The rules for the overall forum can be found here:
http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/forumdisplay.php?f=144
Read them. You will be expected to follow them.
See more
See less

93 Accord race car Build/Questions thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using the old busted window as a template, we made new Lexan windows and WOW was it a lot easier to work with.
    Easy to cut, didn't crack, easy to drill, and shaped to the curve super easy with no cracking.

Pretty sure it's 1/8" thick.

Also made side windows I need to install next weekend.

Then after ukemike's post about his dead fuel pump, I made a cutout for our fuel pump, just in case our pump dies, I can replace it in a few minutes during the race.

Then some more "add lightness" work. Gutted the trunk, removed hinges and latches and cabling. Gonna use 4 hood pins to hold it down.

to

Comment

Aren't you concerned that the cutout will weaken the car? Seem like there could be a lot of flex there.

How much weight did you remove?
      ==========================
      1991 Accord Lemons Race Car, "The Minnow" RIP
      1993 Accord Lemons Race Car, "SpaceEx Starship"
      Neuspeed Race Springs, Koni Sports, Acura CL Rear Sway Bar,
      Adj Upper Control Arms -3.0deg front, -2.0 deg rear
      M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel. A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, delta 262 grind, glasspack muffler, PT6 ECU.
      Acura CL3.0 Brakes Front and Rear, Raybestos St43 Pads, Redline 600 Brake Fluid

Comment

Originally posted by ukemike View Post
        Aren't you concerned that the cutout will weaken the car? Seem like there could be a lot of flex there.

How much weight did you remove?

A few pounds removed, not nearly enough to make it work the effort lol. If I was making a fiberglass trunk it would be worth it. Otherwise no.

As for strength, I'm not concerned about the cut out. The metal is really thin, it's a pretty flat area, and this brace is right above it strengthening the chassis:

Finished pinning the trunk in

Rivet nuts to bolt the windows in. I love these things! So cool to use.

The lexan is crazy light and strong

Almost done. Just waiting on bolts.

Comment

This is awesome. Ya I love my rivnut tool as well. Comes in handy so much. Especially for a clean install.
          ~Nick~
          FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
          MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

We raced at the famous Willow Springs Raceway on June 20/21 with Champcar

You might recognize it from the movie Ford vs. Ferrari. (Interesting side note: my brother was the stunt driving coordinator and one of the main stunt drivers for that movie, he doubles Christian Bale)

Anyway it's a very high speed and dangerous track so I did not have high hopes for a good finish due to the low power of the CB7 compared to the competition. V8 Camaros, Mustangs, motor swapped 240z's, turbo Miatas, etc.
            Weight is the CB7's advantage but these fast tracks are all about HP, and I'm guessing this F22 has about 165hp on a good day.

I couldn't find any of my usual drivers, but one friend of mine Julien is good driver in RWD cars was able to make it. He invited 2 of his friends that I didnt know at all, Sam and Rob, that had other Spec Miata racing experience. I had no idea what to expect out of these guys and was worried about them messing the car up. Turns out they all did great!

The weekend was divided into 2 races, an 8 hour race Saturday and then a new 7 hour race Sunday.

SATURDAY

Saturday I went out first for 2 hours and did pretty good considering it was only my 2nd time on this track. At the end of my stint I came in and we were in 1st place OVERALL, not just 1st in class. Now there was only 22 cars at this race, but that's still really good. I set our fastest lap of the weekend here 1:41.100.
            Julien went out 2nd and drove well, but after his 2 hours we were down to 3rd, behind my friend's 1987 V8 Camaro and someone else.
            At this point the halfway through the race, it was quite hot out, probably in the 90's and the track was very rough. I could see it was tearing up the tires pretty badly. We were worried this new set of 225/45-15 Hankook RS4's wouldn't last the whole race.

The tires were looking like this:

The 3rd driver Rob I learned actual had exprierence racing a 1988 Prelude. He went out and was very fast, but came in early complaining that the car was handling funny. One of the front tires was very torn up so we swapped it out with a spare. When changing the tire I noticed the outer CV boot had torn and all of the CV joint grease had sprayed all over the wheel and inner wheel well. Uh oh. A dry CV joint with no lube is going to overheat and wear out and fail pretty quickly.
            Now I brought a spare set of axles, but changing the axle out would take a minimum of 20 minutes and if we did that, we could kiss 1st place goodbye.

We decided to just finish the race on the dry CV joint and hope it would hold up for a few more hours and not overheat and explode. Rob went back out and took it a bit easier.

He came in with 2 hours left of the race and us back in 1st place!
            Sam went out last to finish up the race. At this point 3 of 4 tires were looking very torn up, and I was super worried about the CV joint exploding at any point. We were quite a few laps in front of 2nd place but it was a very nail-biting 2 hours.

Sam drove brilliantly and the car held up and WE CAME IN FIRST PLACE OVERALL

SATURDAY AFTERMATH

At the end of the race the CV joint was in bad shape. The joint was almost siezed up, and I doubt it would've lasted more than 10 or 15 minutes more at that point. The outside front tire was just about to blow out also. What a great race.

Results with laptimes here:
            https://racehero.io/events/the-big-w...73741826#show2

That night I had a lot of work to do to. We were able to get a new CV shaft from Autozone so I spent an hour swapping that and cleaning up the grease as well as I could. What a mess. I also replaced the front pads with a new set of Raybestos ST43 pads. They are race pads and cost about $250 dollars a set! I can usually get 2 races out of a set.

When doing the front pads my crew chief Hadrian noticed that the right side brake line was a bit wet. I looked and yup the brake hose was starting to fail at the joint. Ugh. I didn't have any spare ones and it was late and almost dark. We decided to buy a new hose and replace it at 7am the next morning and bleed the brakes then.

SUNDAY

Sunday I started out great again, getting us to 2nd place at one point, but coming in at 4th place. The competition was getting better and I could tell everyone was driving a lot more aggressively around us.
            Julien went out next and drive excellently, keeping us in 4th the whole time.
            Sam went out 3rd and was doing great again and we were gaining on the top 3 when a car in front of us hit a massive rock, kicking it up in the air where we hit it at 80mph and it smashed into the radiator causing a huge leak. Luckily it didn't hit the windshield.

Video of rock hitting radiator
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7Xjpc_3kVA

Sam drove into the pits and I pulled the radiator out but I didn't have a spare one

Our hopes of a good finish were over.

We drove to Autozone and picked up their last one, and brought it back to the track. I opened up the box and it was a greasy old USED radiator. Someone had apparently bought one, then boxed up their old one and return it to the store as new. The guy at the store didn't check it and put it back on the shelf. Let that be a lesson to you. Always check in the box at the store before you bring it home.

I had no other option so I installed the old used radiator from Autozone hoping it wasn't bad.

Also while waiting for the new radiator, I foudn out the new CV joint I had had leaked all of it's grease out AGAIN! It turns out the metal band clamp on the outer joint failed. I guess it didn't like turning 125mph over and over again lol. I squirted some leftover CV grease I had in the joint and ziptied up the boot.

We went out again after probably an hour stuck in the pits and Rob finished up. Everything worked great after that and we finished up 11th place.

Here we are in the trophy ceremony

For our 1st place win we got $800 credit for the next Champcar race.

PHOTOS:

2nd place Camaro behind us, I know the guys on that team well and have driven for them in 3 other races. It's incredibly fast in a straight line
            Last edited by aventari; 08-24-2020, 12:41 AM.

Comment

Next race is 24 Hours of Lemons at Buttonwillow on Sept 26/27

Weather is probably going to be in the mid 80's which is *perfect*

So this weekend me and Benino are putting on steel braided lines from TechnaFit

And re-greasing all 4 CVs and installing a little vent tube in the boots to keep them from ballooning

You put a little straw against the shaft to vent it and keep it from expanding too much. Does it work? I dont know, but it can't hurt!

I also picked up a 3 row aluminum radiator for $164 delivered.
              https://www.carid.com/torxe/3-row-al...0-1001441.html

Todo list:

Radiator
              new timing belt, water pump, cam seal, crank seal
              Install stronger mesh in front of radiator
              Research catch can and better crank venting
              Angle seat back a few degrees
              Try and make 6-point seat belts easier to tighten
              Strengthen air dam
              Spoiler for lower aero drag

Comment

Last weekend I started the timing belt/water pump maintenance. Co-driver Benino and I pulled everything apart and I discovered 2 side motor mount bracket bolts had fallen out. Oops.
                Good thing I'm doing this now and caught it.

Also since the radiator fiasco last race I decided to upgrade to a 3 row TORXE aluminium radiator from CarID. Hey $150. If I did it again though I would get the 2 row. This thing is way too massive for what little power I'm pushing.
                So I spent 8 or 9 hours Saturday installing the new "DIRECT FIT" "VEHICLE SPECIFIC" radiator. Many hours hammering and cutting the core support for clearance, fabbing and welding new brackets, and modifying the fucking thing to fit. But it's done. It's massive and we won't have cooling issues. We didn't really before anyway..

Here you can see the 3 brackets I had to make to fit the fan shroud. And make a new drain plug by grinding down a large bolt as the plastic petcock was huge and garbage.

Today (Monday) Benino came over we installed the new water pump and new timing belt. (old ones looked perfect though this was just preventative), installed all new stainless braided brake lines in place of 30 year old rubber ones, and bled the whole system.

We (I) also almost shorted out the whole electrical system connecting a ground wire to the positive alternator terminal. Not that wire is helpfully labelled for next time (label will fall off in a month)

Car is coming together, I will have 1 more weekend to work on it and it will have to be ready then. The weekend before the race I will be gone at a race at Chuckwalla with a friend's 88 Prelude 4WS. Excited to see how the 4 wheel steering works on a race track.

Also got the LUCKY DOG BRAND special tires. Hopefully 24 Hours of Lemons is okay with these lol

Here's my cat licking herself

[As always, click for big]
                Last edited by aventari; 09-08-2020, 11:35 PM.

Comment

Last weekend I did a Lucky Dog race at Chuckwalla in 107 degree heat.

[Trigger warning, non-CB7 content]

It was in a friend's Prelude, and we did killer, ended up winning class C 2 days in a row! Perfect driving from everyone, and nothing broke.

The car has 4 wheel steering, and is very similar to, but somewhat slower than my Accord. The main different is that the handling is quite a bit worse, most of the track is trying to manage the understeer and not kill the tires. Still fun to drive though and reliable as hell which is a testament to the prep work.

I got top time of the weekend in the car with a 2:14.224, running clockwise

Next up, this weekend with the CB7 at Buttonwillow
                  Last edited by aventari; 09-24-2020, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Woo!

Race win at 24 Hours of Lemons at Buttonwillow CA
                    We were doing great on Saturday, on top of our class at the end of 8 hours of racing. Even though we had an off track excursion (and black flag) and flat spotted a few tires, a fellow team sold us a new pair of tires to use for Sunday in addition to my spares. Car was running flawlessly.

So Sunday we had to continue to drive well for 6.5 more hours to win.

After 2 hours of driving I came in and there was a large exhaust leak at the cylinder head exhaust header flange. We send Mark out on track without knowing the exact problem or fixing anything.

We talked about it and called him in to diagnose the problem and to make sure it wouldn't be a bigger problem in short order, possibly ending our day. We saw it was a crack in the header primary at next to the flange. Luckily we were able to make a quick fix by wrapping hose clamps around the crack and tightening them, partially sealing the leak.

The fix worked okay until we pitted and switched drivers to Benino. I wrapped two more hose clamps around the crack and got it sealed as good as we were going to. I had to do it quick as the 2nd place team (Ran When Parked Racing in an Oldsmobile Omega) was getting close.

Then we got our next black flag for going off track after the bus stop. Now we were about even with the Omega.

We did our last pit stop and put Tim in the car but spirits were low.

The Omega team didn't have to pit again and they were 2-3 laps ahead of us and there was not enough time to catch them. The only way to pull this out was something crazy happening, and it happened!

The Omega started smoking and running really slow! We started catching up pretty quickly with time putting down good laps. Eventually we passed them for the lead and then took our first 1st place win in LeMons!
                    Last edited by aventari; 09-28-2020, 02:06 AM.

Comment

got this sweet photo from the track photographer

Comment

I was picturing that as a video in my head, great win!!

Comment

Very impressive B class win! I've been watching your video this evening. The Day 1 win a willow was also impressive. I was scanning your photos for evidence of an engine swap but the f22 is still in there. I guess when you consider all those long high speed turns there, a momentum car has advantages.

We're prepping ours for Sonoma. It's mostly ready.
                          ==========================
                          1991 Accord Lemons Race Car, "The Minnow" RIP
                          1993 Accord Lemons Race Car, "SpaceEx Starship"
                          Neuspeed Race Springs, Koni Sports, Acura CL Rear Sway Bar,
                          Adj Upper Control Arms -3.0deg front, -2.0 deg rear
                          M2A4 Trans, Cusco 1-way Limited Slip Differential, Stage 2 Clutch and 11lb flywheel. A4 Header, 2" exhaust all the way back, catalyst delete, delta 262 grind, glasspack muffler, PT6 ECU.
                          Acura CL3.0 Brakes Front and Rear, Raybestos St43 Pads, Redline 600 Brake Fluid

Comment

Sprry for the slow updates, I bought a Spec944 race car and been busy with that. I've been doing good though, many podium finishes in my rookie year with NASA
                            I'm in the green car

CB7 content:
                            Next race is Willow Springs (again), this time with Lucky Dog Racing League! https://www.racelucky.com/2021-schedule/

I pulled the car out of the backyard today and cleaned it up, went over everything and took it for a test drive.

The good thing is that the synchros feel fine.

Then I changed the oil, added an exhaust hanger, checked intake manifold nuts.
                            Because the header broke last race, I also fabricated a mini skid plate.

Then I made a todo list

Window net, move from 944 to Accord
                            Numbers, set to 192
                            Harness, move from 944 to Accord
                            Check for spare rotors, buy if none
                            Adjust valves
                            Check plugs
                            Replace right rear wheel hub/bearing
                            bleed clutch
                            bleed brakes
                            wrap new header
                            install new header
                            Replace upper radiator hose - leaking
                            Repalce lower rad hose - preventative
                            Buy catch can with .4 inch fitting and .365 inch fittings
                            Front left upper ball joint boot missing. Replace
                            Mount new tires
                            Number panels
                            New SA2020 helmet

Miniskid plate fab: As you can see the header hangs below the crossmember brace. Then means it hits curbs and bumps and bottoms out first before anything

I'm sure this put extra stress on the primary pipes at the head flange and is what caused the header to crack last race and almost cost us the win!

You can see how much lower the pipes hang

Comment

How did I miss those stories about your victories? That is awesome congrats! Looking forward to hearing how 2021 treats y’all.
                              ~Nick~
                              FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" Lucky #13
                              MR Thread:http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ight=Grumpys93

Comment

Originally posted by Grumpys93 View Post
                                How did I miss those stories about your victories? That is awesome congrats! Looking forward to hearing how 2021 treats y’all.
                                Thanks! Glad you're enjoying them.

I just finished another Spec944 race this last weekend (came in 2nd in 2 races!) and I'm going to be thrashing on the CB7 from now until the end of the month.

Comment

Working...
                                X