EXT: Plastic headlight polishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXT: Plastic headlight polishing

I copied this from another site so all you JDM headlight ownsers can fix your hazy or pitted headlights using this method:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothrea...int&id=2485084

enjoy
    "you can catch me swoopin 4G coupin switchin lanes" haha haha.

1993 SE coupe drag car ahoy!

1992 EX coupe 5 spd **sold **

1991 LX sedan 5 spd **tore the tranny apart**
    sold to: jakfrostwhite,F22Cb7Rid3r, and many others
    Did work for: jhoff_cb7
    Traded with: 1990AccordEX,pr3pg4lyfe

what were you doing on a vwvortex forum? jw. lol

this is a great DIY to clean up headlights. planning on doing it to my buddy's vw.

Yes my name is Dang, Don't use in vain
    1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/Auto)
    1992 Honda Accord EX (Coupe/Bordeaux/H22A MT)
    2008 Honda Accord EXL (Coupe/SanMarino/6spd)

Comment

I remember reading in sportcompactcar about how doing this removes the protective coating that comes OEM on plastic headlights. As a result, the headlights will be far more susceptible to re-fogging.

There are products out there that provide a meager replacement for the protective coating. This is not to say that the potential of re-fogging should be a deterrent to get rid of existing fog, but just be ready for the fog coming back again.

Comment

there are MANY guys who have used this method and are going on 6-7years and no problems of any sort. If your that worried about it use a clearcoat afterwards and it will stop all that. And the "fog" you are referring to has NOTHING to do with this that is in the seal of the headlights. This is to restore pitted or scratched lenses and yeallowed lenses.

Comment

Originally posted by JDMCB3Si View Post
          there are MANY guys who have used this method and are going on 6-7years and no problems of any sort. If your that worried about it use a clearcoat afterwards and it will stop all that.
          ah, that's good to hear. I don't know anyone that actually did this 6-7 years ago, so I don't have first hand experience. I just know that SportCompactCar was a very reliable source.

And the "fog" you are referring to has NOTHING to do with this that is in the seal of the headlights. This is to restore pitted or scratched lenses and yeallowed lenses.
          And the fog that I was referring to has everything to do with this. I am not talking about water vapor, I am talking about hazing, due to oxidation, sun damage, etc.
          Being techanical, I used the wrong word. Being colloquial, I figured my word would be close enough.

Comment

Originally posted by TheNextEpisode View Post
            ah, that's good to hear. I don't know anyone that actually did this 6-7 years ago, so I don't have first hand experience. I just know that SportCompactCar was a very reliable source.

And the fog that I was referring to has everything to do with this. I am not talking about water vapor, I am talking about hazing, due to oxidation, sun damage, etc.
            Being techanical, I used the wrong word. Being colloquial, I figured my word would be close enough.
            Sorry my bad. Like i said though it has been fine on others vehicles which the plastiX by meguiars probably helps out ALOT!

Comment

very nice DIY... and i didnt know the JDM headlights were plastic
              Guess you learn something new everyday! haha!! I cant imagine my reaction when i would have gotten my pair(future buy) and been wondering if i got JERKED hahaaaa
              " The value of life can be measured by how many times your soul has been deeply stirred " - Soichiro Honda

Comment

Sorry my bad. Like i said though it has been fine on others vehicles which the plastiX by meguiars probably helps out ALOT!
                I got some of that Meguiars stuff, and man, it really does work.

i.e. my calculator cover a couple years back:

I'm going to follow this DIY or something very similar to this on my mom's car. Hazy headlights are definitely a turn off.

Comment

Working...
                X