No announcement yet.

EXT: S2k Antenna Install W/ Pictures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought about doing that but i liked the look with the antenna!

Comment

ack its a good diy but spending 100 bucks on an antenna is just rediculous. I woulda just bought the replica of the net for 35 bucks and called it a day. . .
      F22b + MP1A = mad fun for me now. . .

MY RIDE
      My swap parts list and pricing

vouches:
      Bought from: Smeagren83(quite a few times now LOL), 97lude, AZaccord, M3torz2nR, g7kobayashi, sickoffthe206 and Kurobei, Jarhead, prNonVtec4u, caserX

Sold to: Snailin91, Smeagren83, cb7dazz, Drummersteve7, Slick

Comment

Nice mod.

About a year ago I did it a different way. Bought the S2K antenna mast and a kit made by somebody else consisting of some threaded bolt stock, some nuts, a small piece of PVC tubing cut at an angle and a new antenna wire end to secure to the contraption.

Put it all together and it looked great and the total cost was less then $40.

One small problem: the S2K antenna, and other shortys like it, don't have enough gain to actually pull in stations without some help. The way it works on the S2K (and Element --- it uses the same mast) is there's a special amplifier that boosts the signal without adding noise.

And so that's why spending $100 for the whole thing like Ralphie did is the only way putting an S2K/Element antenna on that works well. A side benefit is that what Ralphie bought is a lot easier to mount correctly than the gangly kit I bought.

As for me, I took it off my CB7 due to lousy reception and went the $35 replacement way and regained an auto antenna. But when that too stops working I might just buy the amp and mounting parts if I can since I already have the mast and do it right next time.

Oh --- and about the thefts. It's sometimes done by jealous VW or Audi owners. You've seen the semi-short antennas on their roofs. Well, the S2K/Element mast is a direct replacement and looks better. Or maybe it's the people who buy those $10 short flexy antennas --- you know the ones, they're flaccid like a limp dick going down the street.
        >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Comment

Originally posted by deckeda
          Nice mod.

About a year ago I did it a different way. Bought the S2K antenna mast and a kit made by somebody else consisting of some threaded bolt stock, some nuts, a small piece of PVC tubing cut at an angle and a new antenna wire end to secure to the contraption.

Put it all together and it looked great and the total cost was less then $40.

One small problem: the S2K antenna, and other shortys like it, don't have enough gain to actually pull in stations without some help. The way it works on the S2K (and Element --- it uses the same mast) is there's a special amplifier that boosts the signal without adding noise.

And so that's why spending $100 for the whole thing like Ralphie did is the only way putting an S2K/Element antenna on that works well. A side benefit is that what Ralphie bought is a lot easier to mount correctly than the gangly kit I bought.

As for me, I took it off my CB7 due to lousy reception and went the $35 replacement way and regained an auto antenna. But when that too stops working I might just buy the amp and mounting parts if I can since I already have the mast and do it right next time.

Oh --- and about the thefts. It's sometimes done by jealous VW or Audi owners. You've seen the semi-short antennas on their roofs. Well, the S2K/Element mast is a direct replacement and looks better. Or maybe it's the people who buy those $10 short flexy antennas --- you know the ones, they're flaccid like a limp dick going down the street.

Yea i couldnt agree with you more dude! I looked at all my options and in the end i liked the lil mini antenna so i saved up and bought the whole kit off MH. I wanted the kit like you had but i woulda had to peice it all together myself and im lazy so i just bought the setup off of MH like i was replacing it in an S2k and i basically just needed to shave down the black peice and slap it in. Reception is just as good as the stock one, sometimes its has its moments but it has never faded like some peoples and its usually strong 90% of the time and since i listen to cds 94% of the time its no issue. I pick up a station where im at that people with OEM antenna's have trouble picking up...go figure.

And yea i wish i knew who ganked me...wow i was hot...come to think of it it probably was a euro owner...im going to keep my eyes open for it.

Thanks for the support tho!!

Comment

bump for da newbies

Comment

nice write up...I may be doing this in the near future
              -1992 Accord EX H22 234whp 185wtq
              -1993 Accord EX SOLD
              -1995 Accord EX Wagon Daily Driver
              -2012 GMC Canyon V8 4x4

Comment

true!

Still no problems im loving it!!

Comment

my oem antenna was "clak"ing and i just unplugged power to the motor. Of course i later removed it and replaced it with a black "stubby". I like the idea, and look, of shaving the oem location and then using a BMW or (if anyone has seen the SIRIUS satellite antenna's) and putting that on the rear of the roof..or perhaps replacing it directly, i dunno. I guess as long as it gets reception, its good.

KeepinItClean | EnviousFilms | NoBigDeal | YET2BSCENE | .· ` ' / ·. | click here.
                  Originally posted by Jarrett
                  Is there a goal you're trying to accomplish besides looking dope as hell?

Comment

true i dont really like the look of the sirius one, but yea as long as you get reception it doesnt matter.

Comment

To make it harder for people to steal them. mix up some JB Weld and put a bit on the threads ont he antenna then screw it down to the base. let dry and bond.

Originally posted by Maple50175
                      Sweet too bad i shaved my antenna lol
                      x's 2 I can't stand the look of a car with this huge "thing" sticking up for the fenders.

Shave it off
                      Last edited by 4thgenaccord; 01-06-2007, 09:23 AM.
                      !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by 4thgenaccord
                        To make it harder for people to steal them. mix up some JB Weld and put a bit on the threads ont he antenna then screw it down to the base. let dry and bond

i can see where it might help but if someone wants it and end up breaking it off your whole assemby is ruined. Sure you can mess with it and hope the tip comes out but JB weld is pretty tough so i wouldnt advise doing this, i only had my antenna stolen once and i think it was buy one of my dudes and they either forgot they stole it or realized when i lost my mind that it might not be a good idea to say anything

Comment

my antenna always gets caught on my spoiler (its scratched it now pretty good which really pisses me off) when i open my trunk without remembering to let it go down first... i did it the other day again now its stuck up about 4 inches. so im gonna do this swap in a few weeks when i got some extra $$$. thanks for the write up, i do antenna replacements at work all the time, power and limp dick style lol. but the s2k one loooks waaaay better. ill post up pics when im done..

Member Ride Facebook
                          XBOX LIVE = RedDragonsFool
                          SOLD MY CB JUNE 16, 2009
                          For Sale Thread

Comment

Damn you should have installed the harness so that the antenna goes down when you pop the trunk!

Either way this is deff a mod you wont regret, i havent yet....looks better, no broken antenna motors and it gets good reception!

Deff post some pics when your done!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ralphie
                              Damn you should have installed the harness so that the antenna goes down when you pop the trunk!
                              That sounds nice. BUt heres what I see. CB7' shave trunks that do one of two things.

1) you pop the trunk and it pops and just sits ther. you haveto lift the trunk open. The antenna mod would be fine for this.

2) yo upo the trunk and it FLIES open so damn hard you feel like it's goign to fly over your hood. The antenna mod wouldnt work for this becasue the antenna lower too slow and the trunk would still hit it.

I am sure HONDA had it set up stock so that the stock spoiler does not hit the antenna and from the pics of UrDoneSRH's car in member rides it looks like a stock spoiler.
                              !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

no there are clearence issues with some of the stock spoilers...

mine has harness from the factory so that when i pop my trunk the antenna lowers...yes it lowers slow but the trunk only pop open when u pull the lever..you have to open it...so yes u have to wait till it lowers but when my trunk is open all the way it would bend the antenna and i have an oem spoiler...so this mod would be good in any circumstance.

Even tho i spent about 100$ on this mod its well worth the benefits.

100$= The complete S2k assem from majestic honda, no need for piecing together a kit...just buy the antenna and buckle that fucker in and your good to go!

Comment

Working...
                                X