CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > 4th Gen-eral > Off Topic

Old 11-02-2017, 08:14 AM   #121
gloryaccordy
Contributing Member

gloryaccordy seems to have made some friends!
I never understood this business model. I've been using Imgur but I'll bet they will go down too. If someone could make a service I could load my photos to as easily as Imgur I'd pay. The death of Imagestation was DEVASTATING, I'm still reeling from the loss of all those photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordoja View Post
im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral
gloryaccordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:23 AM   #122
Raf99
Gold Member

Raf99 is very helpful Raf99 is very helpful
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloryaccordy View Post
I never understood this business model. I've been using Imgur but I'll bet they will go down too. If someone could make a service I could load my photos to as easily as Imgur I'd pay. The death of Imagestation was DEVASTATING, I'm still reeling from the loss of all those photos.
Good point and a deterrent for others too. Who wants to upload years of photos just to have them go down again. Personally I think sites (like this one) should host images. Make it a Gold membership required thing where folks pay $20 a year etc. and enforce rules where images must be below a size limit. Serious members will bite, but they'll only pay so much.
Raf99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:44 AM   #123
gloryaccordy
Contributing Member

gloryaccordy seems to have made some friends!
Forums go down too

Best bet is to probably buy your own domain and load photos to/from it, and back them up offline. Thankfully Photobucket gives you the option to download all your photos. They are definitely circling the drain.

I suppose another option is to go with a host backed by a legit company. Flickr is backed by Yahoo, Google Photos is backed by Google. Those probably aren't going anywhere and are very easy to sync with. But if ALL a company does is host photos.... tread lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordoja View Post
im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral
gloryaccordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 01:59 PM   #124
Ralphie
Stalker

Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed.
Yea I need to download all my PB pictures.

I cant believe they went to a subscription service.

I actually started using Flickr to host images for my 2013 EX MRT, because I could not stand PB layout and unresponsiveness any longer.

I had deleted my Flickr years ago but when they started offering 1TB free, and I started my Photography business, I figured having a place to store 1 TB of photos in an emergency would be good to have.

I have about 300 pictures on there currently. On PB, I have 1600 pictures.
Ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 02:07 PM   #125
Ralphie
Stalker

Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed.
I just realized that my DIY for the S2k antenna and the write up for how to use photoshop are hosted on PB.

Deev, if I remember, and get a minute, ill transfer all those images to my flickr for you.
Old 04-22-2018, 07:00 PM   #126
GhostAccord
CB7tuner Member

GhostAccord seems to have made some friends! GhostAccord seems to have made some friends!
Well I just got an email from Flickr stating that they have sold-out and will be taken over by SmugMug as of May 25th 2018. SmugMug does not offer any free plans. It is $48/yr or $5.99/month, at least it's not $399 a year.

I'm guessing that all of the other photo sharing sites are probably going to end up doing the same. No more free image hosting.

Oh well, guess I'll just stop posting images to forums that don't have image hosting capabilities. Going to have to think about this one, never really thought that I would have to pay $50 a year to link images to forums. If I were using them on eBay or making money off them it wouldn't be an issue. I know that $50/year isn't much. But I use Instagram and Facebook to share my images with my friends and family. Only reason i need an image hosting site is for some forums that don't have hosting services.

by Chappy, on Flickr
GhostAccord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 05:15 AM   #127
Raf99
Gold Member

I dare say it will be the death of all car forums especially if they don't host their own images. And those free image hosting sites who aren't selling your info/photos to the top bidder will charge money. The young generation will keep using FB etc and post "pics of their engine bay" every week.

Personally I think Deev needs to host images for DIY at the very least.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:29 AM   #128
Ralphie
Stalker

Its inevitable.

I understand the frustration at just wanting a simple photo hosting site to link image to forums, but there just isn't money in that anymore.

Hosting is not free, and can get quite expensive with hardware and bandwith etc.

Advertising just does not pay enough, and when you have MILLIONS of people uploading over 100k images a day, its just way too much to keep it free.

I was surprised that Flickr was able to offer a TB for free lol.

But it just can't be sustained. I am kind of confident that smugmug wont change that option for flickr, because they would be alienating a lot of people who signed up for that reason alone, but only time will tell.

I pay $100 a year now for image hosting strictly for my photography business. I have around 50GB but I set the albums to expire after about two months, so I should not have to upgrade any time soon.

I use my flickr for all my fun stuff and personal stuff, and also forums now.
Old 05-01-2018, 02:48 PM   #129
yh61r
CB7tuner Member

yh61r is cool... so far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloryaccordy View Post
Imgur won't go down anytime soon. Imgur was setup for Reddit. Reddit is an absolutely huge website, currently 6th largest in the world, and growing daily. Reddit people mainly use imgur als their image hosting website.
yh61r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 06:41 PM   #130
Raf99
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yh61r View Post
Imgur won't go down anytime soon. Imgur was setup for Reddit. Reddit is an absolutely huge website, currently 6th largest in the world, and growing daily. Reddit people mainly use imgur als their image hosting website.
If history has taught us anything......

cardomain...
geocities...
ICQ# (12914363 :P )

I could go on forever.
Old 05-01-2018, 06:48 PM   #131
yh61r
CB7tuner Member

yh61r is cool... so far.
Don't worry about it. Imgur won't go down. Reddit quite depends on it to function.
yh61r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 06:50 AM   #132
CyborgGT
CB7tuner Member

CyborgGT is cool... so far.
You guys get the new Photobucket email? They listened to reason, and accounts with third party hosting are now only going to be $2 a month... for a limited time, haha. Not sure what's going to happen next.

Project CB9 AeroR start-up: //////////
Slowly but surely... and gunning for that NA list!

Last edited by CyborgGT; 05-19-2018 at 06:57 AM.
CyborgGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 08:25 AM   #133
GhostAccord
CB7tuner Member

GhostAccord seems to have made some friends! GhostAccord seems to have made some friends!
Didn't get it.....all photobucket emails go into my spam folder that is deleted daily....

by Chappy, on Flickr
Old 05-19-2018, 09:06 AM   #134
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
$2 isn’t awful. Hopefully enough people do it that photobucket realizes more profit can be made that way than with their previous outrageous plan!

deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 10:26 AM   #135
fleetw00d
Contributing Member

fleetw00d is very helpful fleetw00d is very helpful
I didn't get it either. My photos have been working with "~original" inserted prior to the final [/url][/IMG].
fleetw00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 11:36 PM   #136
owequitit
CB7tuner Member

owequitit is very helpful owequitit is very helpful owequitit is very helpful
Send a message via AIM to owequitit
So are the images back temporarily? Just looked at all my stuff and it is working. Have been thinking about a Plan B, but haven't really done anything about it. Definitely not happy about having to pay every month for it.
owequitit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:52 AM   #137
CyborgGT
CB7tuner Member

CyborgGT is cool... so far.
I throw a lot more than $2 into a change jar within a month to just sit there, so that's nothing. But I haven't used Photobucket in years.

Project CB9 AeroR start-up: //////////
Slowly but surely... and gunning for that NA list!
CyborgGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:41 AM   #138
Raf99
Gold Member

Too late for most. I deleted all my PB pics and accounts. What a bunch of idiots...
Old 05-20-2018, 11:51 AM   #139
GhostAccord
CB7tuner Member

Yup...not going through all that BS again.

Kind of wish I had known about the "~original" tag before I deleted my albums. Then again, I don't think it would have worked for me. As I was one of the ones that they targeted early in the "third party link ban process". Guess they didn't like that I was using my images on a blog that made me $100 over 7 years....lol

F#@k'em!

I'll probably pay the money to SmugMug just to say F#@k You to FB.

by Chappy, on Flickr
Old 05-20-2018, 02:39 PM   #140
owequitit
CB7tuner Member

owequitit is very helpful owequitit is very helpful owequitit is very helpful
Send a message via AIM to owequitit
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostAccord View Post
Yup...not going through all that BS again.

Kind of wish I had known about the "~original" tag before I deleted my albums. Then again, I don't think it would have worked for me. As I was one of the ones that they targeted early in the "third party link ban process". Guess they didn't like that I was using my images on a blog that made me $100 over 7 years....lol

F#@k'em!

I'll probably pay the money to SmugMug just to say F#@k You to FB.
The "~original" never worked for me either.
owequitit is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: