CB7Tuner Forums

Go Back   CB7Tuner Forums > 4th Gen-eral > Off Topic

Old 10-25-2017, 07:07 AM   #21
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
Send a message via AIM to deevergote
Indeed. That’s about 100 miles. Not going to find a good cb7 in that radius, sadly!
And I think I’m leaning toward option 2 at the moment. Storing and insuring 4 cars isn’t appealing.

AEM TruTime cam gears (H22A), DSM 450cc injectors, Eaton M45 superchrager

deevergote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 09:12 AM   #22
gloryaccordy
Contributing Member

gloryaccordy is cool... so far.
OK, another idea:

Last gen Maxima.

I rented a current gen one and was pretty blown away by it. Contrary to popular belief, the CVT is amazing with that engine, and dynamically it's not too shabby. Interior quality, at least on the current one, was about on the level of my G (or maybe better)... I'd imagine the last one would be too. And they are dirt cheap. You can get an 09-10 in your price range no problem. I've heard some grumblings about CVT reliability but nothing that would break the deal. Best part is it will get good gas mileage... on the same commute my G struggles to break 18-19 MPG on it will easily do 22-24. And truthfully it doesn't feel any slower or less responsive thanks to the instant and prescient response of the CVT.

Only real issue is its.... unfortunate looks. But for $10K something has to give. And the interior is not that bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordoja View Post
im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral
gloryaccordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 10:32 AM   #23
verothacamaro
Contributing Member

verothacamaro is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to verothacamaro
2006+ Acura RL

300ish HP, SH-AWD, every option imaginable, comfortable as a Cadillac, reliable as an Acura, and gets decent MPG.

I owned one for a few years and had no complaints. Consistently got 30+mpg on the highway and used regular gas:

Loved this car and they can be had for cheap.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:36 AM   #24
Rilas
Gold Member

Rilas seems to have made some friends!
I was thinking about suggesting the RL as well, but if your going to look at the SH-AWD options you might as well look at the 4th generation TL's as well. Although the RL's really do have a lot more of the fancy options. Automatic rear window sunblind, yes please! The RL's are truly the loaded Acura's, I was looking at either buying an RL or TL, ended up with a 3rd gen TL, although the RL was seriously tempting.
Old 10-25-2017, 10:46 AM   #25
verothacamaro
Contributing Member

verothacamaro is cool... so far.
Send a message via AIM to verothacamaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rilas View Post
I was thinking about suggesting the RL as well, but if your going to look at the SH-AWD options you might as well look at the 4th generation TL's as well. Although the RL's really do have a lot more of the fancy options. Automatic rear window sunblind, yes please! The RL's are truly the loaded Acura's, I was looking at either buying an RL or TL, ended up with a 3rd gen TL, although the RL was seriously tempting.
Very true. If you search hard enough, you can find the rarest of them all: Acura TL SH-AWD w/ 6 speed manual!
Old 10-28-2017, 07:46 PM   #26
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool... deevergote . You'll never be this cool...
I love the RL, but I'm scared of the repair costs on one!
I don't love the TL as much as I want to (my stepfather has one, and he thinks the ride is flinty.) I couldn't afford the last generation anyway, so I'd have to go with the one before it. I love the styling, but it's also a VERY popular car among the ghetto-fabulous folks these days. 18-22 year old kids with flat brimmed hats and hardcore vaping habits buy those TLs like crazy... slam them to the ground, camber out their XXRs... they don't strike me as "adult" cars anymore, given the average TL owner around here! It's sad, because I know they're nice cars overall.

I think the ES350 is probably going to be it. Absolutely boring, I know... but it'll be a peaceful oasis in the horrible traffic I deal with every day. And the 2010+ models are practically problem-free from what I've been able to tell. Went to look at a 2011 today, but the dealership had just sent it to auction.

Step 1 is selling the CTS-V, which I think I've decided is the best option. I'm not using the car for its intended purpose. All I'm doing by commuting in it is destroying whatever resale value it might have left.
In the meantime, I'm buying a cheap beater. That way I can sell the CTS-V and sit on the money until I find the right ES350.

This is for sale a few miles from me. I think I'm going to call on Monday. Looked at it on the side of the road today, and it's ROUGH on the outside... but not rusty, and no major damage on non-replaceable panels. Might even be worth fixing up a little.

Old 10-29-2017, 01:12 AM   #27
owequitit
CB7tuner Member

owequitit is very helpful owequitit is very helpful owequitit is very helpful
Send a message via AIM to owequitit
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevergote View Post
I don't love the TL as much as I want to (my stepfather has one, and he thinks the ride is flinty.) I couldn't afford the last generation anyway, so I'd have to go with the one before it. I love the styling, but it's also a VERY popular car among the ghetto-fabulous folks these days. 18-22 year old kids with flat brimmed hats and hardcore vaping habits buy those TLs like crazy... slam them to the ground, camber out their XXRs... they don't strike me as "adult" cars anymore, given the average TL owner around here! It's sad, because I know they're nice cars overall.

I think the ES350 is probably going to be it. Absolutely boring, I know... but it'll be a peaceful oasis in the horrible traffic I deal with every day. And the 2010+ models are practically problem-free from what I've been able to tell. Went to look at a 2011 today, but the dealership had just sent it to auction.

Step 1 is selling the CTS-V, which I think I've decided is the best option. I'm not using the car for its intended purpose. All I'm doing by commuting in it is destroying whatever resale value it might have left.
In the meantime, I'm buying a cheap beater. That way I can sell the CTS-V and sit on the money until I find the right ES350.

This is for sale a few miles from me. I think I'm going to call on Monday. Looked at it on the side of the road today, and it's ROUGH on the outside... but not rusty, and no major damage on non-replaceable panels. Might even be worth fixing up a little.
I'm pretty sure the running costs of an RL wouldn't be much higher than a normal Honda. The J series has been around forever, the transmission was the same basic unit that has been in Hondas since the early 2000's and the SH-AWD system really only has a few additional fluid changes.

And it would be a HELL of a lot better drive than an ES...

Still one of the sexiest Acura's of all time... It predates "ugly" Acura, one of the best interiors of the era, good performance, outstanding all weather capability, tons of refinement and comfort, a kicking sound system and it will look good parked next to your Boss' Corvette or whatever.

Last edited by owequitit; 10-29-2017 at 01:17 AM.
owequitit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 09:25 AM   #28
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

The RL never really inspired me. I don't disagree that it's a nice car, but I actually like the ES better.
Plus, of the handful of RLs for sale in my search radius right now, they're all 5-6 years older than the ES350s I've been looking at, with comparable miles, and a comparable price. $10,000 will get me a 2008 RL, or a 2011 ES, both with 130,000 miles on the odometer.

I think I've pretty much settled on the ES350. Fuel economy is acceptable, the 2010+ models can use 87 octane, and any major repairs carry a Camry price tag (along with Camry reliability.) FWD is perfectly fine for the weather we get here (better than RWD in ice and snow, better than AWD for fuel economy purposes, though the RL is only rated about 1mpg lower than the ES.)

I do find it amusing that I've never owned a Toyota product in my life, and here I am looking to buy two in rapid succession. Calling on that Camry coupe in about an hour.

Old 10-29-2017, 06:39 PM   #29
sonikaccord
Contributing Member

sonikaccord seems to have made some friends!
Quote:
The RL never really inspired me.
I see what you did there.

I've been wanting to swap a manual trans from the 4th gen TL into that RL and have a 5-Series killer. That car is probably my favorite Acura, not including the NSX.

Well speaking of Acura, how about an old Legend or even a Vigor if you can find one?
Old 10-29-2017, 07:17 PM   #30
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

I’d love an old legend or vigor, but they’re just that now... old. I don’t think I’d find a good one for a reasonable price, and one at a reasonable price would probably need work. I feel like they’re too uncommon for beater status, and too old for “nice car” status outside of an infrequently driven restoration project.

I checked out that Camry coupe today. Needed too much suspension work to be worth my while. Even at the $800 offered price. The seller was more than fair, but it was a bad choice for my needs, sadly.
Whatever I get has to soak up 300+ miles per week.

Old 10-29-2017, 08:40 PM   #31
hiptech
CB7tuner Member

hiptech seems to have made some friends! hiptech seems to have made some friends!
Tsx?
04TSX 6-Spd Navi (Premium White Pearl)
hiptech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 11:30 PM   #32
wed3k
Contributing Member

wed3k seems to have made some friends! wed3k seems to have made some friends!
Send a message via AIM to wed3k
Quote:

i found a 97 camry v6 that popped a timing belt for 300 bucks. i think those are non interference engines.

0.5mm Oversized Stainless valves and bronze guides available. Pm me please.
wed3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 01:55 PM   #33
Crankshaft
CB7tuner Member

Crankshaft is cool... so far.
Send a message via Yahoo to Crankshaft
Quote:
Originally Posted by wed3k View Post
i found a 97 camry v6 that popped a timing belt for 300 bucks. i think those are non interference engines.
Those ARE interference engines, my father in law had one exactly like the one in the picture and did not wanted towait for me to help him with timing belt and so you can see where this is going.
Old 10-30-2017, 02:25 PM   #34
Crankshaft
CB7tuner Member

Crankshaft is cool... so far.
Send a message via Yahoo to Crankshaft
This is perfect if it is not a flood car.

https://houston.craigslist.org/cto/d...366940698.html

Sorry i just realized it is past a 95

Last edited by Crankshaft; 10-30-2017 at 03:32 PM.
Crankshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 11:51 AM   #35
Ralphie
Stalker

Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed. Ralphie is damn fine. Damn fine, indeed.
I would def get the RL over the ES, but I never liked Toyota as much as Honda, except maybe for their trucks.

Why not a 9th gen Accord?

You said yourself, when you sat in one at the Auto show, you were impressed.

My 2013 has 55k miles and has had 0 issues outside a bad bulb in the trunk, and a bad battery sensor that Honda is covering.

I get 35 mpg every week. I average about 300 miles commuting as well.

Mine was 19k 3 years ago.

I just looked, in our area, you can get LX for 12k. Probably get them down a bit more as the 10th gens are arriving and its Oct.

I love this car. Not the most exciting car ever, but its one of the best looking Accords imo, handled quite well, is refined, and has a better interior than the last 2 gens.

If you can add a bit more, you could def get an EX, or an EX-L if you work some magic.

Sports might be cheaper.

My only regret is not getting a v6 6 speed, but I plan to trade her in in 2020, at which time 2017 will be coming off leases and I am for sure picking up a 6-6 coupe or sedan.

I can dig the 1.5 and 2.0 turbo, but killing the V6 AND Coupe is just no bueno.

Figure ill pick up something that doesn't exist, and slowly make that a project.

That is, unless I pick up an older 944. Then my plans might change LOL

Last edited by Ralphie; 10-31-2017 at 11:54 AM.
Ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 01:48 PM   #36
Rilas
Gold Member

I'd still recommend the RL over the ES as well. As mentioned previously the motor is rock solid the trans is rock solid as well. Also the SH-AWD doesn't seem to have any flaws in it that I can find. Just a nicer car overall imo, and if your looking to spend around the same amount, I'd pick the nicer car, seeing as how your going to spend a lot of time sitting it in.

Last edited by Rilas; 10-31-2017 at 01:53 PM.
Rilas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 09:23 PM   #37
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

I ended up going the beater route, so the caddy stays. I think paid more than I initially planned, but I think I made a good choice.

2005 Accord Hybrid. 105,000 miles. Meticulously serviced. The only issue is the elderly driver damage on the bumpers. I pick it up tomorrow evening.

Old 11-07-2017, 11:58 PM   #38
Rilas
Gold Member

How much did she cost? Nicee choice. Although a little more than a beater, only have 105k and being a '05.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:21 AM   #39
sonikaccord
Contributing Member

sonikaccord seems to have made some friends!
7th gen hybrid!! I've always liked those. I think it was Honda's performance version of the hybrid with the V6 + IMA system.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:14 AM   #40
deevergote
Don't call me dude.

Paid $4400. He was asking $4700. Not a steal, especially with a cracked rear bumper... but the vehicle history report shows a great maintenance record. Timing belt is done. New tires. New brakes. Fluids changed regularly.

It’s got 30k less than the cts-v. Should last me a good long while!

It really is a “performance hybrid”. MPG is low compared to the usual hybrid, but it’s just as powerful as a non-hybrid v6 Accord. When I punched it, it reminded me of my old Grand Prix GTP.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: