Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

EXT: Bumper Light conversion (always ON)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

EXT: Bumper Light conversion (always ON)

I got this email from a friend who owned a really nice 90 Accord Coupe...I emailed him recently about the bumper light conversion to fogs so he wrote back and this is what I got.

*I do not have a wire diagram of my bumper lights, but I can guild you
    towards the right direction.

It's actually very simple.
    All you need to do is buy a fog light kit from your local autostore.
    They should sell them for about $12 to $20.
    Inside the kit, you will receive all the wires, relay, and switch needed for
    your bumper light conversion.

Follow the instructions with the fog light kit, but wires the black and wire
    to your bumper lights instead of fog lights (which isn't included in the kit
    anyways)*

Oh yeah I need to know where I can get an Accord leather interior if anyone can find a donor SE let me know
    Henry R
    Koni/Neuspeed
    1992 Accord LX R.I.P
    1993 Accord EX OG since 'o3
    Legend FSM

'You see we human beings are not born with prejudices, always they are made for us,
    made by someone who wants something' -1943 US War Department video

Re: Bumper Light conversion

Originally posted by Accrdkid
    I got this email from a friend who owned a really nice 90 Accord Coupe...I emailed him recently about the bumper light conversion to fogs so he wrote back and this is what I got.

*I do not have a wire diagram of my bumper lights, but I can guild you
    towards the right direction.

It's actually very simple.
    All you need to do is buy a fog light kit from your local autostore.
    They should sell them for about $12 to $20.
    Inside the kit, you will receive all the wires, relay, and switch needed for
    your bumper light conversion.

Follow the instructions with the fog light kit, but wires the black and wire
    to your bumper lights instead of fog lights (which isn't included in the kit
    anyways)*

Oh yeah I need to know where I can get an Accord leather interior if anyone can find a donor SE let me know
    I don't think you retain the signal as well with this mod.

My members ride thread

Comment

i tried "tapping" the wires going to the corner lenses and mating them to the bumper lights for that always on feel...but screwed up and now the turn signal doesn't work lol. I hate electrical components
      Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

Originally posted by midnite racer x
        i tried "tapping" the wires going to the corner lenses and mating them to the bumper lights for that always on feel...but screwed up and now the turn signal doesn't work lol. I hate electrical components
        Thats what happened to me too

is there any way to fix this?

Originally posted by fizzbob7
        first off, don't be a sissy bitch.....that's what you're being
        Originally posted by ACC0RD22
        no need to get sand in your vagina over this guys.
        So. Cal OUTLAWZ

Comment

Originally posted by arrozburner
          Thats what happened to me too

is there any way to fix this?
          lol happened to me as well

I actually didn't do anything...somehow, by the hand of a greater power...it just started working again like 5 minutes later.

But be sure to check the fuses under your dash, and...as a last last resort check the big main relay under the hood on the passenger side.

My members ride thread

Comment

i wonder...did we all use that same diagram from that one accord site? I believe it was a white 5th gen that they did it on. I don't really car about it anymore its not effecting anything and my bumper lights still blink so its no biggie. I'll check the fuse tho
            Knowledge is power...in EVERY sense of the word

FSAE (F Series Accord Enthusiasts) ..."A dying breed thats taking it to the next level" #12

Comment

i was looking into doing this to my car.....does anyone have an effective way that works to do this? DIY would be nice thanks

Comment

i do

haha but i never posted it here. basically i used relays. iono if u can understand my pics but here.

---
                simple view...cryogen's design...

same view, my design....same thing same thing!

well i did the bumper light conversion with the help of crogen on SHO. he put the relay together in a diagram for me.

this is the relay method. there is another method but i like this one cause it doesnt draw too much power from the lighting system.

Things you will need:

relay x 2 ($10) <---5 prong automotive relay rated at 30 amps!
                5 amp inline fuse x2 ($2 for 4)
                inline fuse holder x2 ($2)
                extra wire, bigger 16 guage or bigger. <---i used 14 guage cause i have hell of it
                zip ties (optional)
                electrical tape/solder/butt connectors/vynal glue (its electrical tape thats waterproff...)
                1157 sockets. and bulbs
                wire connectors like the ones on the relay
                crimper (i have the one that strips the wire for u)
                wire loom (optional)

+ i am not responsible for ur stupidity but if somehow u went wrong contact me on AIM "pino401" or PM me or EMAIL me peepoy@hotmail.com .+

disconnect battery at least when ur doing this, i didnt, cuas ei was carefull...but do it anyways...

-now the relay may be differnt but there is a diagram in the back when u buy it and u can match it to the realy on the picture-

ok i took out my bumper to make things easier for me. if u decide not to you will just be working in a small area and its a pain...with alot of cuts.

i took the corner lights and the bumper lights off. well i had the bumper off so i just took the corners off- i cut the bumper lights off (1156's)and installed the new bumper light, 1157, and tested them to see if they actually work first by connecting the ground and the green wire...it should turn bright with the signals...

then t-tapped the constant from the corner light (the one that stays on, not the one that blinks) and ran a line down to the relay. put a little connector to the number 86 on the relay. (blue color on diag). if u dont know which wire is which use a voltage tester and turn on the parking lights...there is a ground there too so DO NOT tap that

on the new bumper light there are 3 wires; red, black, and green. now you can play here, one of the red is the constant low and green is the one that turns the bulb on high

here is something funnie, when u look at the wires for the stock bulbs, they are 1156. one side of mine had 2 wires and the other side had 3. you will see a green wire, and a black wire. sometimes 2 green wires. *just remember green go to green, black to black.* jus tput them all together

always hook the green wires up then get the wire from 87 from the relay together (red on diag)

then the black wire, tap the ground for the realy. the ground on the relay is 85.

now run a line from the relay (#30) all the way to the battery terminal in the fuse box. make sure u put a inline fuse on the line just to be safe. i put a 5a fuse.

tada u got one side done. if your hyper blinking then u hooked up something wrong, either the corner light or u forgot one of the green wires =). or you got the bumper light wiring wrong.

id test it at the moment before u finalize the wiring and make it nice and neat. turn on ur parking lights, the bottom light should turn on. and then turn on ur hazard and then it should go low then high.

the hard part is tapping the line from the corner light cause its a very small spot. there are t-taps avalible but i just cut and solderd it.

now repeat this procedure to the other side.

*i taped the relay all the way and mounted it behind some metal away from waters path....then zip tied it to the frame. (this is why i took my bumper off)
                *i solderd all my lines and then put some vynal glue on it (its just like tape but its waterproof..) but u dont have to. u can just tape it up alot or put shrink wrap and tape it. i just didnt want water going in it.

all in all, this took me 4 hours, cause i took a break like every 10 minutes hahaha and it was cold as fuk.

if u want a switch just split the line from #87 that goes from the relay to the bumper lights and put a switch inside the car or something.

sorrie for the sloppy writeup and picture....it seems complicated but its really easy...
                ---
                What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

I love nooBs...They make me look good

Comment

if u want something easier do this.

tap the corner light constant. then bring it down to the bulbs wire. then inbetween that put a line to the dash and put a switch and put a wire back out to the bulb.

there you go. you have a switch to the bumper lights and still retain the signal light.

remember its an 1157 bulb (low and high)you use for dual filament. if you were using the stock 1156 single filament bulbs (high only) you would just attach the wire from the switch to the green wire on the bulb.

use 16 guage or beter wiring. and black tape.
                  What makes me laugh about forums, is that no matter how much you try to help someone, they dont take the advice. Go ahead and do it the hard way.

You got to respect what you drive, and appreciate what you have, making the best of what you got. and if that means putting CAI, HID's, a phat stereo system, and a idiot in the drivers seat...then so be it!

Retro!

Hater

Comment

Can you wire the bumper lights to the corners, and the fog relay to the bumper?

Originally posted by lordoja
                    im with you on that one bro! aint nothing beat free food and drinks any day of the week, even if its at a funeral

Comment

i got tired of replacing my relays on my system. now i just ran a line from the corner constant.

why would you wire a fog relay to the bumpers? its completley legal IMO....

Retro!

Hater

Comment

lol wow you guys did it the hard way.

all i did was send the Power wire to both lights then to the cockpit of the car to a 12v power source like the headlights. then kept the ground it already has and tada!

we got the bumper light conversion always on when u turn on your parking lights

Comment

I have a conversion diy somewhere that keeps them on all the time and they still blink.

Comment

http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthre...ghlight=bumper

Comment

I really don't why you guys are doing the relay way. The Civic socket way is sooo much easier. Sure the light output is kinda dim on the low filament but all you guys seem to be running amber anyways, so it doesn't really matter because they don't aid in anthing but appearence, but once again I'll explain since this got bumped.

What's needed:

2 Civic Corner sockets or 86-89 Accord 1157 Brake sockets.
                              Some Wire

So on the stock socket, there are 2 wires, green and black. Black is negative, green is signal (+12v)

On the Civic/other Accord socket...there are 3 wires, green, red and black. Black is negative, green is signal (+12v) and red is positive.

Okay, here's how to do it. Black goes to black, green to green. You run the red wire up to the always on wire of your corner light (i forget which is which, but somethign is saying red) and that powers your low beam filament.

Tada, you're done, really easy, I've had mine done for 2 years, no melting of bumper light or anything. Looks good too now that I have a nice hyperwhite in there.

Comment

Working...
                              X