Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

love that build
    My Ride Thread
    The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.
    Mark Twain

FaceBook

Comment

Beautiful.

Picture courtesy of JezzWolf!

Comment

First of all thanks to everyone for all the support in this journey, on here and elsewhere. Its greatly appreciated!

Well once again been to long since I updated.
        I went to IMF again here in Ennis Texas on March 8th. A week later everything was canceled.
        Had a great turn out though, 300+ entries in show.
        Even still I brought home Best Engine Bay!!!
        Thats one I really wanted to win, lol. I was blown away. Pretty great experience for sure.

So I've been doing a lot of planning, shopping and purchasing since then.
        I had Web make my cam, picked up a set of Bisimoto Pro springs, 70mm TB, an H23A1 intake and plenum, and also picked up my chipped p28.
        I also have lined up to have it dyno tuned at Redline Performance here in Arlington once I get this all done.

Decided to get an adjustable fuel Regulator and gauge to add for the tuner, (just in case), and replace the tired 30 year old fuel pump with a Walbro.
        So... I put her up in the gurage to drop the tank and put in the pump.
        Here's where it all took a turn, lol.

After pulling the tank I couldn't put it back looking like this.

After a good cleaning I stripped all the rust and did a base coat with a rust inhibitor. Then used some chassis paint over that.

Ok so now pumps all soldered in and I'm ready to put the tank back, right?
        Well no. I figured I'd like to not have to drop the tank in the future so I picked up the Civic fuel pump access panel and went ahead and did some cutting and filed everything nice and smooth. Tanks just on a jack underneath for reference. Yes, it is plugged and sealed from the shavings.

So now I can get the tank back in and start on the engine work
        Well..... Actually after spending some time under the back end I couldn't not fix some things I saw wrong.
        Namely Everything!

All the bushing are toast and its just a mess overall.
        So I got to ordering my parts and went about dropping the sub-frame.
        Pretty easy, just a mess though.

So most my parts have shown up. Its already torn apart now. I did have to sawzall the toe arm cam bolts.
        I had been looking at HardRace solid bushing for the trailing arms when I ran into some new complete arms with solid bushings!
        They're Mevotech. They released a line called Supreme as a heavy duty performance upgrade.
        Figured Id give them a try. Honestly the quality looks really good but only time will tell.

I also picked up a 5th gen EX 27mm front sway bar, 17mm Acura CL rear sway bar as well as The 25T calipers and brackets.
        Also picked up the full front kit of Energy Suspension bushings.

I have all the caliper rebuild kits, front and rear. Also was able to finally find a 282mm HOR set of front rotors.
        First couple of tries they gave me 260mm or ROH rotors. Seems to be an issue due to the 97 CL being the only year like that.
        This has lead to another problem. I cant find the right pads. I ordered some Akebono's and they fit the 260mm rotor.
        They fit the 25T bracket but not the 282mm rotor.
        Here is a shot of it on the 282mm Rotor. Its clearly to small.
        Also the curvature is way sharper and does not fallow the curve of the rotor.
        Second shot is of it on the cars current 260mm rotor.

You can look on Rockauto for a 97 CL 3.0 and it gives these, Akebono ASP503A.
        I've also tried Wagons, V6 5th gen, and the Odyssey but they all come up the same part numbers.
        If anyone has a part number that is the right pad for a 282mm x 25mm rotor Id greatly appreciate it.

I've made a post under Parts and Performance/Suspension asking about deciding on Ground control custom spring rates if anyone would like to chime in.

Thanks for checking out the updates. Hope everyone is well and getting through the current trials ok.
        My YouTube channel
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWG...y6tJ7wJMI4J8vA
        Instagram
        https://www.instagram.com/dreamability71/
        Members Ride.
        http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=210942

Comment

Congrats on the award man! Nice to at least have one! Print that photo and put it on your wall!

Umm thinking those are the 11.1 rotors, so rear cb7 wagon? or Prelude rear pads?

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
            Congrats on the award man! Nice to at least have one! Print that photo and put it on your wall!

Umm thinking those are the 11.1 rotors, so rear cb7 wagon? or Prelude rear pads?
            Thanks Brother. Yep, that's two wins now, lol. Last year was best old school.
            Winning best bay though this year was pretty damn sweet!

Back on the topic of the 97 CL front 282mm(11.1" rotors) I still cant find pads the use the extra 20mm surface from stock.
            Ive been through the whole list of front pads for the 11.1" 282mm rotor
            and all of them so far have been the same width across as the pads for our stock 260mm rotors.
            I've tried 91-97 Accord wagon, 5th gen V6, 97 Acura 3.0CL, and the 95-98 Odyssey.
            They all leave like a 1\3 of an inch or 10mm of surface area uncovered by the pad like the image in my last post.
            So basically I'm getting a bigger rotor, bigger caliper but not getting any extra surface area contact between the pad and rotor as my current 260mm. Doesn't make any sense.

In the mean time I decided to throw the rear knuckles into an electrolysis bath to get the rust and paint off. Way easier than doing it by hand.

Before and After
            It took about 10 hours to get this result.

My new rear hub and bearing assemblies came in

Sanded off all the rust from the rear sub-frame. Then primered, sanded and three coats of chassis paint.

So now onto cleaning the undercarriage and get it prepped for paint.
            So much dirt! Nothing like laying right under it and knocking it all loose, lol.
            Full respirator and goggles of course.

Last edited by dreamability; 05-10-2020, 12:04 AM.
            My YouTube channel
            Instagram
            Members Ride.

Comment

Looks good! I've done this before and did POR30 to the underside. (cleaning the whole undercarriage above the gas tank) . Pay attention to the brake line that runs up there and make sure it's not rusting on the top side or in rough shape. PITA to fix down the road! Do you use dish soap for your electrolysis?

Comment

Originally posted by Raf99 View Post
                Looks good! I've done this before and did POR30 to the underside. (cleaning the whole undercarriage above the gas tank) . Pay attention to the brake line that runs up there and make sure it's not rusting on the top side or in rough shape. PITA to fix down the road! Do you use dish soap for your electrolysis?
                Brake lines above the tank are in good shape but can't say the same for the fuel lines.
                I'll be replacing some of those for sure.

I'm using Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda for the electrolysis with a 12 volt 6 amp battery charger.
                My YouTube channel
                Instagram
                Members Ride.

Comment

liking the build for sure. later.
                  Avoiding dirt at all costs

Comment

Originally posted by dreamability View Post
                    Brake lines above the tank are in good shape but can't say the same for the fuel lines.
                    I'll be replacing some of those for sure.

I'm using Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda for the electrolysis with a 12 volt 6 amp battery charger.
                    Yep, same way I do it. Oh man... was I thankful to the guy who showed me this! (think he's on here somewhere). I try to tell others about it but they think it's all witchcraft :P I'll say it's easy....! Tell them what to buy... but i guess the electricity and water part scares them. I find them still sanding parts down like I did when i was in their shoes :P

Comment

Love the details in the coupe!! Muy bueno sir!!!
                      I fly by like the coupe grew wings!!!
                      Speeding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      My coupe!!!
                      http://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=152924

Originally posted by Racer_XXX
                      Excuse me miss, YOUR FUPA IS IN THE WAY!!!

Comment

Working...
                      X